When recording with a microphone do I have crank my volume really high? My Champ sounds great at moderate volumes, will the mic duplicate my tone or will it sound bad?
dont crank it!

if anything keep it low

high levels will distort the mic
!PRS Custom 24 ten top!
Ric 4001!!
Fender Cyclone 2
2x Harmony Acoustics
Goya 107 Range Master

Quote by x8blitzkid8x
people ruin metal like a7x.
Well is it a tube amp? If it is a tube amp it almost always has to be cranked to get optimal sound out of it. And as for it distorting the mic - it won't if you use the right mic. You might have to turn down the gain on your interface, but that will actually allow for a cleaner signal as the less preamp gain you have to add at the interface, the cleaner the signal will (and I don't mean "clean" the same was as when referring to guitars - a clean signal is a good thing - you almost never want to be adding "distortion" at the board, but there is an exception for every rule in audio).
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

I'm more concerned with the recording tone than the amp tone. I am happy with my amp's tone at moderate volume, which I don't think will distort the mic.

When you are talking about the "preamp distortion" does this occur more easily with tube preamps? If so wouldn't tubes in a preamp be a bad thing?
You are not going to get a "tube" recording pre for under $500. The ones you will find that claim to be "tube" are merely solid state starved plate circuits that essentially throw a tube into the chassis so they can market it as a "tube" preamp even though the tube does practically nothing at all. So basically you are looking for as little preamp distortion as possible.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.