Yes I know these pickups are good for metal, but does anyone have a more in-depth look into these pickups? Will they do classic rock decently? Will it have alright cleans?

I'm thinking about getting the $550 Agile that has that combo, and I was wondering about the truth behind EMG's.
well.....i really like mine (i play metal only pretty much) but if you have a good amp and settings, i'm sure you will like them, the 85 sounds so good...it almost brings a tear to my eye, i definately say get them, especially if you will be doing some metal
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
classic rock and emg's usually don't mix. and an 85 has better cleans than an 81, but if you want cleans and emg's i'd get an 81/60 combo.

but for classic rock, go seymour duncan.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
I had that combo in my gibson special faded sg for a year and i thought they did good classic rock but then i put my original pickups back in and was blown away. They do cleans better than they do classic rock IMO but still not awesome. and that is the truth
by the way, sorry man i was wrong, i didnt see that guitar there, umm EMGs arent so much for classic rock as they are for metal.
What about for regular hard rock? Usually when I play classic rock it's just on a heavier setting, kinda like how you hear covers of classic rock songs done by hard rock/metal bands.

I think it should be a cool combo, I rarely use cleans but hey if im getting a killer sound for hard rock/metal, i'll survive.

Anyone got any clips of the 85 in the neck?
Claudio from Coheed uses EMG 85/81 combo in his guitars, listen to Coheed to hear more ways he uses them.

Devil in Jersey City, Delirium Trigger, and Time Consumer all have clean and distortion using EMGs. They're pretty good, if you know how to use your settings on amp and guitar.
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
Quote by TSelman
Claudio from Coheed uses EMG 85/81 combo in his guitars, listen to Coheed to hear more ways he uses them.

Devil in Jersey City, Delirium Trigger, and Time Consumer all have clean and distortion using EMGs. They're pretty good, if you know how to use your settings on amp and guitar.

claudio only uses them live. and he didnt have his first set of emgs till he bought his white explorer used at guitar centre after the recording of sstb and in keeping secrets of silent earth: 3.
You'd be much better off with a set of decent passives than actives for your kind of stuff.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
So should I just buy a regular Agile AL-3000 Maple top for around $400 and put in other pickups?

Hey Seagull, I remember you recommended a Norton/Breed Neck combo for my HSH strat idea, what do you think for this? Something bright and heavy in the bridge, smooth and heavy in the neck. Okay cleans, somewhat versatile.
Quote by TideBleach
claudio only uses them live. and he didnt have his first set of emgs till he bought his white explorer used at guitar centre after the recording of sstb and in keeping secrets of silent earth: 3.

Yeah, live, and guess what, they're damn good live. :P
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
I love the Duncan Custom 5 in Les Paul types, it's quite bright but not squeally like a JB. It's pretty tight but it's got just a touch of raggedness to the tone. Not a shredders pickup at all but great for straight-up, no-nonsense rock stuff. Neckwise if you want smooth and silky you could go with an Alnico Pro II, although it sounds like you want a gutsier neck tone in which case the Breed is a good candidate.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
I love the Duncan Custom 5 in Les Paul types, it's quite bright but not squeally like a JB. It's pretty tight but it's got just a touch of raggedness to the tone. Not a shredders pickup at all but great for straight-up, no-nonsense rock stuff. Neckwise if you want smooth and silky you could go with an Alnico Pro II, although it sounds like you want a gutsier neck tone in which case the Breed is a good candidate.

So a mix of the SD Custom 5 and the Dimarzio Breed Neck? Will the outputs match up and everything?
The Custom 5 is pretty hot, but you'd probably need to back the Breed off from the strings a tad more than usual...nothing major though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by TSelman
Yeah, live, and guess what, they're damn good live. :P

i know ive seen them 6 times 7th will be in november
Actually yeah, they will. I've tried a few on a low gain amp and they sounded surprisingly good, if a bit too modern. However if you're going for a straight metal tone, look no further.
Dickless.
I'd try a different EMG selection, like an 85/60.

I have 81/85s; they're pretty versatile, if you're willing to work with your EQ settings. The cleans are very 'twinkly' sounding and they give me a very nice punk distortion sound.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Sep 25, 2007,