Basically i've made a list of my target in terms of gear, some of which i already own, most of which i'm gonna have to slog some shifts at work to pay for

just wondered what you thought of this rig i've designed

what would you change?
what order would you put them in?

I would be mainly using the rhythm loop with a EQ pedal for a lead boost and then the decimator to cut out the noise + feedback

the FX loop would be used to add one of the pedals if i need it and if not then it will be bypassed by the loopmaster and they will not colour the tone

The clean loop simply contains a chorus pedal and the decimator is kept seperate as it will be setup for the rhythm loop and i want the full clarity and sustain of the clean notes

make the most of this thread and post any diagrams you've done also

List

Loop-Master Triple loop true bypass strip w/ tuner out & master bypass

Tuner Out: Fender PT100 (got)

Clean: EHX Small Clone

Rhythm: MXR M108 10 Band EQ, ISP Decimator (got)

FX: MXR EVH Phase 90, Boss DD3

Dunlop Dime Crybaby from Hell Wah

(Pedals powered by a Dunlop Power brick)

ENGL Powerball
Marshall 1960A Cab (got)
Attachments:
Untitled-1 copy.jpg
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
Last edited by samtewari at Sep 24, 2007,
That looks cool!
Why don't you try to place the wah-wah after the amplification? I mean after the ENGL head, but before the Marschall head? 'Gives you another sound
=>Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster with Alnico V Holydiver Bare Knuckle bridge humbucker

=>40 Watt RMS Yorkville Traynor YCV-40 valve amplifier

=>30 Watt Tech 21 NYC - Trademark 30 solid amplifier

=>Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby pedal
so it would go

engl --> crybaby ---> cab?

wouldn't that be dangerous??
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

Do you really need such a big loop with so many true bypass pedals?

Doesn't make any sense to me, it seems your just going to be adding noise.
The true bypass loop is rather unnecessary, at least in front of the amp. If I were to build this rig up, I'd route the signal chain as follows...

Wah
amp
amp effects send into TBL
TBL Loop 1 - Small Clone into Phaser
TBL Loop 2 - EQ
TBL Loop 3 - Delay
Decimator
amp effects return

To me, this signal routing makes more sense. The EQ and Delay can be kicked in and out of whatever channel at will and you're not locked into pairing those two options with the phaser or chorus.
^ ah right that would make sense

whats the difference (tonally) betwen putting the fx in font of the amp or in the loop?
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

Quote by samtewari
so it would go

engl --> crybaby ---> cab?

wouldn't that be dangerous??

Don't do that.

and

Setup looks pretty good to me, what guitar will you be using?
Quote by TwoString
The true bypass loop is rather unnecessary, at least in front of the amp. If I were to build this rig up, I'd route the signal chain as follows...

Wah
amp
amp effects send into TBL
TBL Loop 1 - Small Clone into Phaser
TBL Loop 2 - EQ
TBL Loop 3 - Delay
Decimator
amp effects return

To me, this signal routing makes more sense. The EQ and Delay can be kicked in and out of whatever channel at will and you're not locked into pairing those two options with the phaser or chorus.

Frikkin' smart
freepatriot.com
"People never misapply their economy so much as when they make mean provision for the education of children. The only practicable method to reform mankind is to begin with children." -- Noah Webster
Quote by guitarcrazy1991
Don't do that.

and

Setup looks pretty good to me, what guitar will you be using?

either a gibson les paul standard (bareknuckle miracle man) or my custom Ran (EMGs 81 + 85) thats on order atm
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

Quote by samtewari
^ ah right that would make sense

whats the difference (tonally) betwen putting the fx in font of the amp or in the loop?

The delay and chorus will be cleaner overall since the repeats and modulation are not getting amplified at the same time as your initial signal. The chorus effect is pretty much a very short delay that varies in time a bit. The overall effect ends up sounding cleaner because the amp is working with less up front...it's just your direct signal plus whatever overdrive/distortion/tone variance (wah) effects you're using. These effects are just easier to the front end of the amp to process, although you can run everything into the front end of the amp without much thought. In my experience, longer delays sound washed out when being amplified by the preamp as opposed to the power amp.
ah ok thanks

so would i be best putting the EQ in the loop or in front?

and i take it the decimator would be best put in front to cancel out any feedback etc?
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

i'd go with twostring on the chain.

but i would personally change the dd-3 to a different delay. In my experiences, probably an ibanez AD-9. but then thats your preferance.

But twostring has it down
Quote by FunctionF2
i'd go with twostring on the chain.

but i would personally change the dd-3 to a different delay. In my experiences, probably an ibanez AD-9. but then thats your preferance.

But twostring has it down

yeah i was unsure about the dleay and just put the boss down as instinct
i did the least amount of research on that pedal

i suppose if i get them i could experiment with pedal order but it looks like i shoudl go with his suggestion
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

EQ and Decimator are better off at the end of the chain. This way you're not struggling to adjust something at the EQ that's going to get changed with the band-pass filters in the amp. My suggestion would be to dial in the amp first then see if you even need the EQ. No use in having another pedal in the chain just to have another pedal in the chain. The decimator is better off at the end of the chain as well to help stop any noise issues after the preamp gain stages, but like the EQ, I would try to dial out as much noise as possible before connecting the decimator. I'm fully against noise supressors unless it's an emergency situation (bad power at the venue, 60 cycle hum caused by stage lights, etc). I never add a noise supressor as a base element in any rig I build. If you've got feedback issues, you need to check and re-check the gain factors in the rig as well as any possible frequency traps in the guitar you're using. These traps mainly include the control and pickup cavities. If you can, stuff some foam in the control cavity and around the pickups. This usually kills any feedback issues (save for microphonic) I might have with a given guitar. As far as hum and other pops/clicks/bleeps, start looking for the cause of the problem and kill it where it starts.

As for the delay, the DD-3 is a great pedal. I've never owned one, but a lot of the rigs I've set up had one (sometimes even two) of them going in the rig. I've never had any noise issues and they almost never break down...just don't stand on the controls and you'll be fine.
^

thanks for that

I was thinking about using the EQ as a lead boost or woul di be better with some sort of OD pedal? (bearing in mind the ENGL is a very high gain amp as it is)

The whole reason i fancied getting the true bypass strip was so thaat i could switch all the pedals on and then activate the loop whenever i needed those effects

do you reckon with the chain you've given me it would be unnecessary?
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

Well, the amp you're looking at has 4 channels if I've got it right. Do you really need a booster/EQ in that case? And the EQ has better uses than a lead booster...I've go with an OD or clean boost pedal for that, but only if it's really needed. I think you can find more than enough in the amp (but who am I to talk, I've got two tube screamers in my rig and I've got a Roadster). And I don't think the strip will be necessary, but I've used one for larger pedalboards just to have easy access to turning them on or off. It's up to you, but I think with the few pedals you have, you can get away without it.