My mate recently challenged me to a boxing match. He's been boxing maybe 9 months more then me, BIG DEAL. He thinks he can beat me but i doubt he could cause more then small bruises.

Heres the fight stats:

Me:

6'6
270lbs.
2 years boxing
450 max bench
40 yards dash: 4.8 seconds

Mate:

5'11
140lbs.
2 years, 9 months boxing
250 max bench
40 yard dash: 4.6 seconds

Heres my concern..

He pales in size comparison, I mean i can literally lift this guy above my head with one hand. He is fully committed to this fight, and i'm a little iffy about it. I don't want to hurt the guy, he's a good friend and i don't want him losing to affect our friendship. He honestly believes he's got a speed advantage, which he does but.. it's not as big as he thinks. I just don't want to hurt him at all, because i know my punches can be brutal. Then, on the other hand i don't want to look like a pussy in front of my girl, since she wanted to be there. So UG, what the f*ck should i do? He wants to go no head gear, straight out boxing match. Our instructor told me he has no problem with this mismatch, and that he was gonna referee this fight personally.

Also, we wanted to videotape the match to see our strengths and weaknesses, but alas our instructor allows no recording devices into his gym. BIG ASS sign above the door as you walk in. He said he'd review that match with each of us personally, when we asked him if we could get special permission to record the fight.

So give me some thoughts UG.
Well if your instructor is going to be there and he cleared it, then it sounds like safety isn't really an issue, as i doubt your instructor would let you guys fight if there was a chance someone would get hurt, plus if something does go wrong he'll be there. As far as the whole fight affecting your friendship thing i can see where that would be an issue, i would talk to your friend about it and ask him why he is so serious about this, and make sure he isn't trying to prove something, cause if he was and you beat him then i think that would affect your friendship in a negative way.
if you were really a good boxer you guys would be able to have the control so you don't have to worry about hurting each other. You can knock a guy out without seriously damaging him... but if he's gonna be a little bitch about it when he loses then don't do it.
Please, you live in Wisconsin. Never use "mate" again.

It seems like you really don't want to lose this friendship. Have you tried telling him this? If you have to fight, beat him lightly?
It's difficult to win unless you're bored.
Though it's not about just whose bigger, but who has a better fighting technique. Maybe he's lighter on his feet.
Gear
Takamine EG5015S
Fender Telecaster Deluxe
Fender Strat
Fender Stage 1600 (160 Watt)
Digitech Hot Head
Digitech Hot Rod
Digitech DF-7 Distortion Factory
Quote by jd44
Though it's not about just whose bigger, but who has a better fighting technique. Maybe he's lighter on his feet.

well his friend is smaller than him so i would hope so.......
Quote by carmel_l
Frenchy's red.
Finally, true communism will ensue.
I think
E-Married to the very beautiful Epic_Cleavage also soon to be married to Epic_Cleavage, aka the beautiful Ms. Joanna Moore
You should know that maximal strength really isn't all that important. So what you can bench a lot. If his technique is good then he will have the same chance of knocking you out. I could tear through my friend that easily benches more than 200 than me because my technique is better, better strength endurance, and I'm quicker than he is. Sure his punches hurt a lot, but I just have to stay on my toes more and dodge. If you really want the match then go ahead. Who said you have to hurt him though. I've boxed a few friend and its not like I do when I actually fight for real in the ring. I don't try to break bones, rupture organs, or get knock outs. Tell him you want to box, but to not be so serious.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
he benches 250 and he weighs 140? holy ****.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
get a tooth brush and a knife sharpener. use ur imagination. thats how all the kids end their boxing matches nowadays
Quote by kammy1221
Post the video when it's over

+1
imho, you got the win
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
Quote by kammy1221
Post the video when it's over

Damn you morons can't read for dick. There's no recording devices allowed in the gym, i guess i could get someone to record from the window, but you wouldn't see ****. I'd rather listen to my instructor, he's not the man to piss off.

Also, when he came up with idea he meant for someone to get hurt. He straight up told me he was going to bust my **** up. We've been workout mates (and piss off to whoever said i can't say mates because you're a nob) for a long time now and i know his technique is not good after one round of boxing. His first round will be perfection, then the rounds after are sloppier then 80 year old pussy. So my strategy as of now is to stay on defense round one, counter every punch he makes, then take care of him ASAP second round.
Quote by TechnicolorBoy
Please, you live in Wisconsin. Never use "mate" again.

It seems like you really don't want to lose this friendship. Have you tried telling him this? If you have to fight, beat him lightly?

Because people who live in certain places aren't allowed to use certain words.

That's a tough one, TS. I'd suggest that you do it, if for nothing else than for experience. But, if he's any good kind of friend, he won't let it affect the friendship, and make sure you tell him that beforehand--that no matter the outcome, you two are friends.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
What ticks me off is your arrogance attitude regarding the fight, more or less taking it for granted that you will win.

I think you're scared to fight the fella.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by Derek <3's You!
Then, on the other hand i don't want to look like a pussy in front of my girl, since she wanted to be there.

I say grow up or get a girlfriend that won't judge you based on whether you beat the **** out of someone or not
Quote by GiantRaven
I say grow up or get a girlfriend that won't judge you based on whether you beat the **** out of someone or not

Trust me pal, you would be ashamed if you got your dumbass beat by some dude half your size... and my girlfriend doesn't like to see me kick peoples asses but i like to make her feel safe with me, that's all.

EDIT: ^^ I'm not afraid of the guy at all.. I'm just scared of losing a good friend over a stupid boxing match. I know he sees this as a big thing, i just see it as good practice.
Just kick him in the ovaries and be done with it.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Quote by Derek <3's You!
Trust me pal, you would be ashamed if you got your dumbass beat by some dude half your size...

Trust me, I wouldn't
Quote by Derek <3's You!
Damn you morons can't read for dick. There's no recording devices allowed in the gym, i guess i could get someone to record from the window, but you wouldn't see ****. I'd rather listen to my instructor, he's not the man to piss off.

Oh, so I guess we won't be able to see someone half your size kick your ass? Damn