Hey there, well, to keep it short and simple, I had a gig with my band last Thursday, and we had my brother film it. The thing is, he forgot to turn down the camera volume (it's a digital camera) and it saturated the decibels.

Now, I don't know if saturated is the right word, but whenever the bass is playing or the snare drum sounds it makes a horrible sound, kind of a crack/buzz, can't explain. Also, when I went to check the wave file (with Nero Wave Editor), I saw that one of the channels was hitting both the "roof" and the "floor" of the spectrum (is that even the word?) while the other looks pretty normal.

I don't have the audio right now, it's in a laptop where I'm editing it, but I'll get sound clips up as soon as possible. In the meantime, is there any program I could use to make it pleasant to the human ear? You can hear the band in the recording, but it's covered greatly due to the saturation.

As a closing remark, sorry for my incapacity of communicating properly, but I don't know many "recording words" . If it isn't clear enough, then please ask any questions or recommend some audio editing programs. If able, I'd like to edit each channel separately and clean them up.

Thanks a bunch mates!
Look!

Learn how to spell, grammar is your friend

Member #11 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.

Blues player of the Laney Cult
ha, well that was an interesting read

unfortunately, i'm pretty positive the audio of the footage is ruined. by exposing the camera's microphone to such high volume levels, and making it more sensitive by turning it louder, the signal was "clipped" by the more prominent waves.

when recording, people do not want their mic signal to clip, that's what makes it fuzzy and distorted.

maybe you could make a music video and just record the band and sync it to the video if you'd like.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
There are features to reduce the clipping. I think there is even one in Audacity, but I don't think it is very good.
There is poetry in despair.
Thanks a lot Unsigned, at least now I know where I'm standing. It wasn't an important video, it was just our first important gig (we got paid!) but nothing more. Either way, I believe that someone else filmed the video, hopefully he filmed it right. The only reason I wanted to work on it is because I wanted this to try out some editing stunts to gain some knowledge . But thanks anyway! If I get the video with good sound I'll post it here in UG.
Look!

Learn how to spell, grammar is your friend

Member #11 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.

Blues player of the Laney Cult
ha, no problem. hopefully the other vid works out for you.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
there are things you can do to decrease it but you wont be able to ever wipe it away,,try noise reduction a declipping tool and as a last resort you could go in an manually turn the clipping section way down but would probably be just as distracting as the clipping and you would lose the dynamic of what was played so ehh dunno
Unfortunately once you have distorted the quality of your audio you cannot reverse the changes, as the changes where never recorded as the distortion occurred before the data was recorded to film, or flash card. You unfortunately cannot recover what was never there.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

an easier way to get a good video.. is to ask the guy doing the mixer if he'll allow you to setup a 2 track out from the mixer onto some type of recording device. I've used a cassette recorder with an RCA line in a got some great results. (results depend entirely on how good the guy doing the mixing is) take the video, then snyc both of them up on computer using windows movie maker or something similar. that way you can also tinker with the audio seperately without affecting the video.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.