Well, maybe some of you will remember that I made a topic weeks ago, asking for help buying a new amplifier. In a few days it's my birthday, and still haven't decided which amp to buy (I'll be buying it around this coming weekend, so it's sort of urgent). Sorry if I'm annoying, but I'm a beginner and I need some advice, since I don't want to buy some f*cked up amp. In other words, I want to make sure I buy the right amp.

Here's a list that should "guide" you a bit:

• Currently, my budget stands at $300 (USD).
  • I play an Epiphone Les Paul Special II.
  • It should be noted I'm a beginner.
  • I play hard rock, hardcore (most notably post-hardcore, similar to emo) and alternative.
  • It should be loud enough to play along a drum set.
  • It should be quite resistant and durable. I'm using this amp for, at least, 3 years or so.
  • I'm not able to buy a tube amp. I have checked out some amps and prices, and I can't afford them.
  • If possible, recommend me amps of these brands: Fender, Roland, Peavey or Line 6 (those are the brands that my local guitar shop sells)
  • Features I'm looking for are a clean clannel, a distortion channel and effects built-in(reverb at least), and the obvious bass, middle and treble controls. If possible, a footswitch would be handy.

Now, the amps I've been considering are:

1. Fender FM25DSP (or, if can afford it, FM65DSP) <-- I really need to know the option from guitarists with more experience about this amp. I have been seriously considering this one. Link Link
2. Roland Cube 30X (or 60, for the same reason as above)

Please, let me know the pros and cons of these amps, and again, what would your recommendations be.

Help would be much appreciated. Thanks you in advance.
Last edited by TheUsedSound at Sep 24, 2007,
If you can afford it, definitely the Cube 60.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by TheUsedSound
Well, maybe some of you will remember that I made a topic weeks ago, asking for help buying a new amplifier. In a few days it's my birthday, and still haven't decided which amp to buy (I'll be buying it around this coming weekend, so it's sort of urgent). Sorry if I'm annoying, but I'm a beginner and I need some advice, since I don't want to buy some f*cked up amp. In other words, I want to make sure I buy the right amp.

Here's a list that should "guide" you a bit:

• Currently, my budget stands at $300.
  • I play an Epiphone Les Paul Special II.
  • It should be noted I'm a beginner.
  • I play hard rock, hardcore (most notably post-hardcore, similar to emo) and alternative.
  • It should be loud enough to play along a drum set.
  • It should be quite resistant and durable. I'm using this amp for, at least, 3 years or so.
  • I'm not able to buy a tube amp. I have checked out some amps and prices, and I can't afford them.
  • If possible, recommend me amps of these brands: Fender, Roland, Peavey or Line 6 (those are the brands that my local guitar shop sells)
  • Features I'm looking for are a clean clannel, a distortion channel and effects built-in(reverb at least), and the obvious bass, middle and treble controls. If possible, a footswitch would be handy.

Now, the amps I've been considering are:

1. Fender FM25DSP (or, if can afford it, FM65DSP) <-- I really need to know the option from guitarists with more experience about this amp
2. Roland Cube 30X (or 60, for the same reason as above)

Please, let me know the pros and cons of these amps, and again, what would your recommendations be.

Help would be much appreciated. Thanks you in advance.

if thats 300usd, then you can buy a tube amp. Crate V8 would do just fine for you.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Roland Cube will be decent in your choices of brands, but a Tube amp would be nice. Peavey Valveking is $500 is was it? but it's good for your stuff.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
roland cube 60 of those choices. but i would look into your local craigslist for deals, as well as ebay.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
There are some good tube amps just outside your budget.

such as the Valve king 112 430 USD.

Most people would probably recommend the Roland Cube 60. I hear it's a great amp.

But let me also suggest you buy a used tube. For 300 USD you could get some pretty good used gear.
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
I'd also like to point out that as far as I know, there aren't any shops that sell used amps here in my country (or at least in the city). Also, buying on the Internet is not an option, because considering where I live, it'd cost me at least an extra $100 or so.

The Valveking Royal 8 (or the overall Valveking line) sounds pretty good, but when I went to check it out at the guitar shop, it was sold out. I think it only has... 5 Watts? I'm not sure how well it could sound along a drum kit.
Quote by TheUsedSound
I'd also like to point out that as far as I know, there aren't any shops that sell used amps here in my country (or at least in the city). Also, buying on the Internet is not an option, because considering where I live, it'd cost me at least an extra $100 or so.

The Valveking Royal 8 (or the overall Valveking line) sounds pretty good, but when I went to check it out at the guitar shop, it was sold out. I think it only has... 5 Watts? I'm not sure how well it could sound along a drum kit.

In that case, the Royal 8 would be a good buy, but otherwise I would go with a cube.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
i think your in too much of a hurry to get your amp
take your time, just ask for cash instead of an amp

then look around kijiji, craigslist and especially ebay

you find a nice tube amp, or solid state (line 6 flextone III is awesome, JCM800 voicing is awesome)

last thing you want is to buy something you regret, which might motivate you to play less

dont be such an impatient little 10 year old
Quote by STriNG-RaY

Eh... just wanted to say that I'm 14 (obviously, soon to be 15). Excuse me if I ever looked like a "impatient 10 year old", I just needed some help quick, but yeah, I have considered saving the money for now and wait until I have more. But it's also important for me to have a better amp, now that my skills are improving. I currently have just a very small practice amp, in which you can play... well, nothing!
Quote by STriNG-RaY

You know what it was like being excited to get your first real amp, so just take it easy man.

I would honestly say, just ask for the cash and save up for something better that you wouldn't regret buying after a year, but if that's not an option i say Cube 60.
My Setup!
Schecter C-1 Elite..

Laney GH50L
Crate GX412 Cab
Crate XT65R

EHX Holy Grail
BBE Sonic-Stomp Sonic Maximizer.

Member #24 of the EHX Guild
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
if thats 300usd, then you can buy a tube amp. Crate V8 would do just fine for you.

But he plays hardcore stuff, so more than likeley, his drummer will be acting like an idiot beating his drums as hard as possible, so the poor little crate will probably be out-noised
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
After watching this video, the Cube 60 seems pretty amazing, nice amp. Still, no one has cleared my doubts about the Fender FM65DSP. :/ As I said in the first post, I've been seriously considering this amp, but I'm not sure of how good it is according to what I need. I wonder how good it is, the quality of sound, durability, etc. Does anyone own this amp, or could anyone tell me about this amp, and how well it compares to the Cube 60?
That Fender amp is most likely a piece of crap (sorry no offense to owners.) The only amp that may fit all your requierments is the Cube. A Peavey Transtube will sound more tube-like but the only one I know of is the EFX. Might be worth checking into.
go ebay a crate polamino 15 or if you get lucky you could maybe find a 30 watt for 300 bucks
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by uldhppi
That Fender amp is most likely a piece of crap (sorry no offense to owners.) The only amp that may fit all your requierments is the Cube. A Peavey Transtube will sound more tube-like but the only one I know of is the EFX. Might be worth checking into.

Alright, thanks for letting me know about it. And yeah, I've been quite interested into Peavey's, Valvekings seems pretty amazing. I've also seen other models and lines (Transtubes and a "Rage" model), though I don't know much about those.

What Peavey models are worth checking out (apart from the Valvekings)?
Last edited by TheUsedSound at Sep 25, 2007,
For $300 a Peavey Transtube EFX 110, 40 watts solid-state. About as loud as a 15 watt tube combo. I don't know how good the effects are, you should try it out. Could I talk you into trying out a Crate Palomino 5 watt 110 tube combo, $200? They are much louder than you think, and that leaves some money for some good foot pedals. I want you to be comfortable with your choice and I know you are a beginner, but a good tube amp would put you ahead of the game if you decide to stick with guitar. Think about both. Take someone with a few years experience with you to try them and others.
Hi TheUsedSound!
I'm from Costa Rica too (I write this post in English so the most people can understand it).
Where are you looking those amps at? Juan Bansbach?
Why don't you consider a Vox? Maybe a AD15VT.
ProMusica and Allegro sell Vox amps, I think ProMusica offers better prices.
I just got a AD15VT last week and I love it.

For your kind of music I think is a good option. Roland Cube are better for Metal.

And I think it has what you're looking for:
-It is under your budget
Hybrid (it has a tube in the poweramp section not in the preamp like other hybrid amps, which is better)
-Loud enough.
-11 Amp Models
-11 Effects plus Noise Reduction
-Bass, Middle and Treble controls
-2 Channels (Clean and Distortion)
-You can use a dual foot switch (switch programs or bypass effects)

If you can afford it (and it's available) go for the AD30VT, not only is louder but has a power attenuator, you can switch its wattage (from 1W to 30W) so you don't lose tone at low volume.

Links to check:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278449&highlight=vox+roland
www.voxamps.co.uk
http://www.valvetronix.net/
Hey ++salas++
Yeah, I've been going mostly to Bansbach and La Voz (the bigger store in cental San Jose).
ProMusica is the store near the ICE building, am I right? I once went there but sadly it was closed. I'll hopefully go sometime and check the Vox amps, I've heard they are pretty good. I didn't know there was a Vox dealer here, thanks for letting me know that!

@uldhppi: I'm sure the Peavey amp you mean is this one? It seems like a great option to me, and 40W should be enough to play with a drum kit, I think.
Last edited by TheUsedSound at Sep 26, 2007,
out of the ones that you mentioned, the roland would be your best bet. but i'd say try to just get money instead. christmas is coming up semi-soon (assuming you celebrate it), and if you combine your birthday bucks with that you ought to be able to get a pretty nice amp.

and look used. you can find some very good deals out there if you're patient and you keep your eyes open. i just bought a year old marshall jcm 2000 dsl401 for a very very good price, though, as it doesn't provide me the tone that i need, i'm going to sell it (and hopefully garner a decent profit).
Seeing as how most people are being snobby and telling you to stop being an immature little child, and recommending ebay and used amp buying multiple times even though you said you couldn't buy on the internet, here you go.

Out of the choices you have, a cube 60 would be perfect for you. It sounds pretty damn good, and once you DO get a real amp that you'll be oh so excited about, cranking it to 5 won't be possible very often. (Unless your parents and neighbors don't care), so the cube will be a great practice amp. Tons of effects to play with too. Oh, and a 5 or 10 watt tube amp won't cut you through drums... unless the drummer is very quiet.

So, basically, snag one of those cubes, you'll be extremely happy with it for a while to come. Even if you get a Dual Recto in the future, your cube will come in handy for practicing and maybe recording ideas and such.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

Yeah I think that's a good amp. Should be able to keep up with most drummers.
Not a thing wrong with a Cube either. The Peavey would still be my first choice, but I don't play modern metal.
Well, I went to check out the amps and check prices. Sadly, it came up that the Cube 60 is far too expensive for what I currently have. The Envoy 110 isn't available, and so is the AD30VT. Though, in the case of the AD30VT, there will be more units in stock by the end of October, until then I could easily save up more money to buy it. In any case, the Cube 30x seems like my best option at the moment. I could also buy the AD15VT, but I'm almost sure it wouldn't stand a chance next to a drum set (though, for small gigs, it can always be connected to a PA system). That brings my last question before I choose between the Cube 30x and the ADxxVT. I'm sure that the AD15VT would be excellent, my only concern is how loud it really is, could it be used for a band practice?

So yeah, my final choice is going to be either the Cube 30x or the AD15VT (AD30VT if I choose to wait for it).
Those are two great amps to be considiring. Don't mind anybody on here who tries to discourage you, they probably have a distant relationship with their mother. I would personally wait for a 30 watt vox if you decide to go with that line of amps. Now that youve put the idea of possibly getting the louder one in the series, as soon as you outgrow the ad15vt you'll be totally regretting not spending a little bit more. Good luck!
GEAR

epy lp
palomino v32
marshall guv'nor 2
vox wah

Demetri martin- My computer once beat me at a game of chess, but then I beat it at a game of kickboxing.
Quote by metrobunny61
Those are two great amps to be considiring. Don't mind anybody on here who tries to discourage you, they probably have a distant relationship with their mother. I would personally wait for a 30 watt vox if you decide to go with that line of amps. Now that youve put the idea of possibly getting the louder one in the series, as soon as you outgrow the ad15vt you'll be totally regretting not spending a little bit more. Good luck!

That's a fairly subtle insult. I'll have to remember that one.
Studio Pro 112 sounds pretty sweet. My mate has it and barley pushes it beyond 1-2 and it already shakes his bedroom floor. Good thing his mom and dad are musiciains so they understand.
TheUsedSound, maybe a little late but... Yes, ProMusica is the one near the ICE building, Allegro is located in Guadalupe.
Check out Craigslist. You may be able to get a well used classic 30 for that.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by TheUsedSound
So yeah, my final choice is going to be either the Cube 30x or the AD15VT (AD30VT if I choose to wait for it).

I think you need 30W (SS) at a bare minimum. And if there's another guitarist in your band, even that might have trouble cutting thru. I like the Vox better than the Cube. The Cube generally gets the nod for metal, and the Vox for everything else. I guess it depends where your post-hardcore falls.

Vox also now has the AD30VT-XL, which is designed specifically for higher gain applications. It's a little more expensive than the standard AD30, but might be worth it for you.

I know it's tough to be patient when you need a new amp, but I'd advise you to be. If money's at a premium, you want to make sure you spend it right the first time.

Is there any used market at all by you?
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by uldhppi
For $300 a Peavey Transtube EFX 110, 40 watts solid-state. About as loud as a 15 watt tube combo. I don't know how good the effects are, you should try it out. Could I talk you into trying out a Crate Palomino 5 watt 110 tube combo, $200? They are much louder than you think, and that leaves some money for some good foot pedals. I want you to be comfortable with your choice and I know you are a beginner, but a good tube amp would put you ahead of the game if you decide to stick with guitar. Think about both. Take someone with a few years experience with you to try them and others.

I've got the 110 Transtube EFX and it would probably be a good choice for what your looking for. It's got pretty good tone and for 40 watts it's loud. More then enough to keep up with a drum set. Great deal for $300.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
In that case, the Royal 8 would be a good buy, but otherwise I would go with a cube.
You're suggesting a 5w amp to handle drums and also possibly gig?

Given your choices:
Eliminate the Line6s in your pricerange - they're crap.
The fender is also a verified POS.

Get a Cube 60 - that'll handle all gigs and drums easily, the Cube 30 will probably struggle to do anything more than band practices volume-wise. it also suits your styles brilliantly.

The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Well, I finally bought the amp, I think I made the right choice, but at the same time, a "wrong" one. I went for the Vox AD15VT... 15 watts. I know I should have waited, but I fell in love with this amp once I went to see it today this afternoon. It IS pretty loud... it seems more powerful than 15 watts. I'm pretty happy with it, but I'm still worrying how well will it do next a drum kit (I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be heard over the drum kit), although I could mic it (I'm not sure if you can connect this amp to a PA system).
When I bought it, I considered the fact that I'm just a beginner and this amp is just right for me and my skills at the moment. And if I ever perform, it would be small gigs (probably in a place like a cafe or a club) in which it would be loud enough. Still, I can't stop wondering if I'll be able to gig with it or assist a band practice with it. But for personal use, I think it is just perfect.
But anyway, thanks to everyone who posted and helped me. Probably I would have bought something else, maybe something crappy, who knows...
Last edited by TheUsedSound at Sep 27, 2007,