I want to buy an electric guitar with humbucking pickups, low action, at least 22 frets, a warm tone. I want to do from rock to metal type stuff mostly, some minimal blues and jazz. I want a cool looking guitar but I'm mostly concerned with comfortability. I play a about 2 shows every other week. I prefer D'addario strings, and play into a Line 6 Spider 3 75watt. I'm interested in possibly getting a seven string like the Schecter Damien 7, or a semi-hollow body but I don't want it to fall apart and die when I jump around a little. I currently am playing a upper end squire (if there is such a thing) its basically crap, 3 single coil pickups, when I press to hard (actually not very hard) on a the string it sharps the note, ... the catch is my budget is $500 don't need anything amazing just something to get the job done. Your recommendation will be greatly appreciated
Just to say it before everyone else, get a new amp first. $500 will go far with an amp and it will kick the crap out of a SpiderIII
Ibanez SZ 720
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
I agree with the amp. I'd rather play a Squier through a good tube amp than a Gibson through a Marshall MG.

For $500, you can find some decent used Peavey's and Marshalls. I found my XXX Super 40 ($950 new I think) for $450.

If you insist on staying with the Spider, I recommend an Agile AL-3000 or higher from rondomusic.com
schecter c1 semi hollow body. my brother's friend just got one and he loves it.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Jackson DKMG Dinky(if you want active pickups)
Jackson DK2 Dinky (if you want passive)
they're closer to 600-700, but it's worth it
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
Ditch the Spider and get a new amp first. I recommend a Laney LC15 or LC30, though you might need an overdrive pedal for really heavy stuff.

And have you checked the intonation on that Squier? Usually the only times you get sharp notes from pressing too hard is with jumbo frets or a scalloped fretboard.
You play two shows every other week on a Squier? Sure! In your mom's basement, right?
Seriously, amp is a lot more important for your tone. I had the choice of sticking with a Vox AD30VT and getting a new guitar, or keeping my S470 and getting a nice tube amp.

Damn glad I did.

After hearing the sound of distortion/overdrive with the power of a tube amp, you wont want to be playing your SS amp again. Get an amp.
Ok I get the point, get a decent tube amp for ~$500 it will sound much better than the spider. I'll look at those guitars all of you suggested. Thanks
yeah for 500 you'll want to find a good tube combo.

a guitar will sound so much better through a better amp, rather then a better guitar through a crap amp.

BUT if you want a new guitar and dont mind the line 6, you'll want a new guitar AND the Line 6 Uber Metal pedal.
that pedal like kills the digital sound of the line 6, my friend plays his schecter through a spider III 30 watt i think, and uses that pedal and it makes all the difference.

edit: oh yeah, guitar reccommendation :P

it gets old reccommending this, but get an Ibanez RG4EXQM1.
its 450 for the one with the Edge trem, and 300 for the one without it (but the one
without it has cheap ass plastic tuners and a piece of crap bridge)
so get the one with the trem and get better for your money.
You'll want a pup swap eventually, but it's good for now.
Last edited by MrDURPEEDURP at Sep 25, 2007,
Hunt Hunt hunt on the used market for a Cort M520 or higher M series number. After you pick one up for about 200$ put the rest towards a good amp.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.