Page 1 of 3
So hey guys, I was thinking about this the other day. I know a thread like this is made very often but hopefully mine will be slightly different. Why does everyone make fun of Green day and Nirvana for just playing powerchords and simple melodies, solos etc? Other bands that are famous play simple music too, Smashing Pumpkins has pretty simple music, AC/DC has pretty simple music. A lot of popular bands and artists have really really basic music but I don't see them getting made fun of or criticized. I am also in no way a giant fan of either one of these bands, I like them and I also understand they make simple music. So what are your opinions on this?
Because I ****ing can.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
i agree, theres nothing wrong with brilliance in simplicity?

if anything, theres more skill in making a basic song popular than having to show off with 45 minute solos etc.

*thinks to self*

"and its not just because i suck and cant play 45 minute solos"

ahhh
^ Very true, and mostly just because.

There are lovers, there are haters. There always will be. Doesn't matter. Cause in the end, no one gives a **** anyways
The Pit. The Movie.
it is true that AC/DC makes simple music, but angus young (spelling?) at least could play, like the intro to thunderstruck, and his solos were pretty good too. green day has no attention grabbing work, and thats why i hate them, but nirvana's ok, because they are at least original.
in my opinion, nirvana was too good. thats why kurt died, they were too amazing. no one should be making fun of them, if you are you're probably ignorant. you should atleast respect them.

and green day....... there older stuff was really good and really important for that time period. like dookie. but im not a big fan of that new stuff, its just kinda stupid. they made too big of a change, you cant just jump into the whole political thing like that
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
Quote by GiantRaven
BECUZ SIMPLE MUZIK SUXS LOL CUZ I PLAY GITAR!

please tell me thats like irony or sarcasm?

oh wait yeah it must be
because the world is full of idiots who like to dislike band for their own personal reasons. I don't like the music at all but i don't go around bashing it because it makes me feel superior
FLAME!!!!!!!!

*strikes match and looks mencaing*

just so you arent dissapointed bro/ broette

thats right broette, not sister
Quote by chimairapwns
it is true that AC/DC makes simple music, but angus young (spelling?) at least could play, like the intro to thunderstruck, and his solos were pretty good too. green day has no attention grabbing work, and thats why i hate them, but nirvana's ok, because they are at least original.

Since when was how well a guitarist can play a measure of how good a band is?

Quote by conman25
please tell me thats like irony or sarcasm?

oh wait yeah it must be

Yes

Quote by Jack Off Jill
Because I ****ing can.

I can jack off in public, but you don't see me doing that.
Quote by Giant Raven
BECUZ SIMPLE MUZIK SUXS LOL CUZ I PLAY GITAR!

DO U LEIK LED ZEPPLINZ LOLZ

CUZ DEY R AWESOME
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
I don't care about the musicianship, just both those bands are really lame.
Quote by GiantRaven
No

GTFO

KIRKZ HAMMETZ?
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Quote by Sabu
I don't care about the musicianship, just both those bands are really lame.

what is the premise for them being "lame" as you put it.
pay me the same amount and ill give you better head than an amp ever could.

Quote by mdawg24
My bad, headbanger had it.
I suck

Quote by faultyy
(sp) means to use super powers
Quote by Masonpwiley
I can jack off in public, but you don't see me doing that.

The fact that you took that post seriously at all, despite the fact that I have Nirvana in my profile makes me sad..

Same can be said for anyone who took my post seriously in another thread about how Green Day should get Herman Li.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Quote by altgrunge
Haha thanks for the flame conman, it was greatly appreciated.

anytime

im commenting this thread a lot, people must be thinking im a stalker without a life right about now....

yep they definatley are

still, i like greenday and nirvana

i heard some blabbing on about them not "grabbing" you enough with their simpleness

and that is a load of swear word (im afraid ill get banned you see) in my opinion, smells like teen spirit is one of the most recognisable intros in the history of ever and thats like 4 power chords!

"grabbing" tut tut.
Quote by chimairapwns

Oh, yes, because Thunderstruck is just the epitome of technical prowess.

I personally like Green Day and FOB, but I hate the hell out of most of their fans. I think that plays a large part in people's opinions, because if the mainstream likes them, a lot of people will reflexively hate them.
<Han> I love Hitler
Listen I'm pretty sick of people making these threads and defending these bands from the big bad flamers. A lot of people honestly don't like there music just some people are more vocal about than others. I just don't like Green Day, never have, never will. Nirvana, for them I own Nevermind and their music just doesn't hit me like other music does. I just don't like them, they're not bad, maybe in my view they are, but if someone likes them then they must have done something right.

Don't act so surprised that the thread didn't get flamed because you posted a certain topic that is known to insight conflict in UG. Every thread I see of someone doing that then acting surprised they didn't get flamed, not everyone here is close minded so stop acting like we all live to flame these bands. Deal with the good, deal with the bad.
My Rig:
Ibanez RVX 220DX
Vox Valvetronix 30watt
Quote by Jack Off Jill
The fact that you took that post seriously at all, despite the fact that I have Nirvana in my profile makes me sad..

Same can be said for anyone who took my post seriously in another thread about how Green Day should get Herman Li.

Sarcasm doesn't work too well online.
Quote by conman25
anytime

im commenting this thread a lot, people must be thinking im a stalker without a life right about now....

yep they definatley are

still, i like greenday and nirvana

i heard some blabbing on about them not "grabbing" you enough with their simpleness

and that is a load of swear word (im afraid ill get banned you see) in my opinion, smells like teen spirit is one of the most recognisable intros in the history of ever and thats like 4 power chords!

"grabbing" tut tut.

Holy shit. A load of a swear word!
<Han> I love Hitler
Quote by Masonpwiley
Sarcasm doesn't work too well online.

Even so.. I think I'm going to have to put a disclaimer in my sig about not taking me seriously at all.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Headbanger_1
what is the premise for them being "lame" as you put it.

I don't think they sound good
Quote by HaKattack

I personally like Green Day and FOB, but I hate the hell out of most of their fans. I think that plays a large part in people's opinions, because if the mainstream likes them, a lot of people will reflexively hate them.

argh dude, youre only fooling yourself with the "i find thunderstruck so easy im going to mock all those who think its technically impressive" act

i mean its no vai or satch but come on

the second bit i agree with however, at least in principal that fans play a large part in a bands reputation,

but still.... fall out boy ????

*giggles*
Quote by GiantRaven
MUSTAINE > HAMMETT LOL!

N00b

BUT THROUGH TEH FIRE AND FLAMEZ!!!!!!!
<//////>~
Quote by conman25
argh dude, youre only fooling yourself with the "i find thunderstruck so easy im going to mock all those who think its technically impressive" act

i mean its no vai or satch but come on

the second bit i agree with however, at least in principal that fans play a large part in a bands reputation,

but still.... fall out boy ????

*giggles*

How is he fooling himself? Seriously..
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by HaKattack
Holy shit. A load of a swear word!

dude, one day i will be as much of a rebel as you are.
Quote by Jack Off Jill

it makes me sad that i missed that post....

i actually liked both bands when they came out if not slightly before they got big, it was the simplicty that made them good and attention grabing. they got big at a time when we were getting out of the hair metal era when stuff was bigger than life and blow outta proportion. people were sick of big hair and 9 hour solos that go nowhere and didnt serve the song. these bands were a reacyion to what was befor them, much like soloing and shread comming back into style is a reaction to nu-metal and pop-punk.
Quote by HaKattack

I love Green Day but my God, some of the fans are just fuckin cunts.
Quote by chimairapwns

Well said, friend.
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
Page 1 of 3