I have a project for school and at one point in it I try to tell how bands like Slipknot, Trivum, Avenged Sevenfold, Atreyu, As I Lay Dying, and so on....

are NOT metal

So please let this be a peaceful message so I ca use it for my project.

Anyone who agrees to this statement please reply with "I agree"
And feel free to add your thoughts.

If you do not agree please just leave so you will not cause any arguments
this should be a poll.

but for the most part i agree.
Quote by SOADrox429
'Bring me the still-beating heart of a newborn child, and the world's rivers shall run red with the blood of the innocent.'

<\/> Fleshgod Apocalypse <\/>
I agree that Slipknot and Avenged Sevenfold are NOT metal...... the others are metal, just bad metal.......... or last time i heard As I Lay Dying they were something metalesque..... haven't listened to them since i heard "frail words collapse" (is that the title?)

The hip hop elements in slipknot's sound disqualify them from "metal" status. Couple that with the fact that there are no classically tinged melodies.

As for Avenged Sevenfold..... well Avenged Sevenfold = Guns N Roses..... 'nuff said.
just tell them

thats not metal

this is
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
well i do agree, but i dont at the same time.... sure they arent "metal" i guess, but i mean they are at the same time.... all those tags are so pointless, but i mean yeah atreyu is metalcore i guess but there still metal....
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
Quote by Second Rate
As for Avenged Sevenfold..... well Avenged Sevenfold = Guns N Roses..... 'nuff said.

Avenged Sevenfold is NOT the same as Guns N Roses. Guns N Roses is hard rock, avenged sevenfold is.....hardcorish or something.
Quote by SOADrox429
'Bring me the still-beating heart of a newborn child, and the world's rivers shall run red with the blood of the innocent.'

<\/> Fleshgod Apocalypse <\/>
I agree. True metal bands are bands like Iron Maiden, Megadeath, etc.
My Gear:
Gibson SG special (W/ S.D. Jazz(N) & JB (B))
Mesa-Boogie Solo Triple Rec. (with EL-34's)
Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
Boss TU-2 Chromatic tuner
(what else do i need)

Where i work:
www.beanstalkmusic.com
i pretty much agree with you to an extent...

but if your wanting opinions, but you don't want opinions that are against your opinions, i don't see why you posted this thread, because if things go how you want all you are gonna get is "I Agree"

EDIT:and i agree with the other guys, these sub sub sub tags are absurd. "my favorite genre is post-metal grindcore"???? Can't we keep these genres simple?
Member #16 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club. PM stepco12345 to join
Last edited by C&C Magik at Sep 24, 2007,
Quote by Imperial
Avenged Sevenfold is NOT the same as Guns N Roses. Guns N Roses is hard rock, avenged sevenfold is.....hardcorish or something.

there newer stuff isnt really "hardcore". ive heard a lot of people refer to them as the guns and roses of our time..... i kinda see where theyre coming from. i honestly think avenged sevenfold is better (except slash is still god, i just think axl is kinda cheesy)
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
last time i checked, trivium was metal, slipknot sorta is too, as for the otehr bands...CRaPPYNESS!!! avenged sevenfold has some decent songs tho
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
Quote by Imperial

Umm, their older material was metalcore, yes...... but the stuff they've released lately is pretty much GnR at a faster tempo.
Quote by Imperial

NOT HARDCORE.
hardcore is minor threat, black flag, Dead kennedys (sorta), Bad brains, etc.

now...
they COULD be considered like a hard rock band. maybe just rock or something.

well hell...progressive. lets go with that.
Quote by joehhy
i will use my lvl 90 Golduck against the evil 4chans, they will not stand a chance

Quote by Led Pepplin
My penis is quite literally trembling in fear.

FLOCKDRAW!!!!!!! EPICS!!!!!
Quote by C&C Magik
i pretty much agree with you to an extent...

but if your wanting opinions, but you don't want opinions that are against your opinions, i don't see why you posted this thread, because if things go how you want all you are gonna get is "I Agree"

...or in other words:

I'm not going to choose sides here because I don't really know much about metal. I just walked in here because I thought the thread sounded interesting. But getting 5 page of "I Agree" kind of seems useless to me.
Quote by XXm3t@lXX
NOT HARDCORE.
hardcore is minor threat, black flag, Dead kennedys (sorta), Bad brains, etc.

now...
they COULD be considered like a hard rock band. maybe just rock or something.

well hell...progressive. lets go with that.

eh... My idea of progressive is Rush/Coheed and Cambria/Pink Floyd. Maybe a progressive metal.
Member #16 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club. PM stepco12345 to join
the dudes plans backfired. its funny
Quote by joehhy
i will use my lvl 90 Golduck against the evil 4chans, they will not stand a chance

Quote by Led Pepplin

Quote by C&C Magik
eh... My idea of progressive is Rush/Coheed and Cambria/Pink Floyd. Maybe a progressive metal.

and yeah sure...progressive metal works.
i mean...
they have the metal qualities. as much as i dont like them you know,
but i must say they have talented guitarists.
Quote by joehhy

Quote by Led Pepplin

well how do you realy defy metal?? it's like theres meny metal genres. like heavy metal. its not metal but still metal. so Slipknot is a kind of metal...you get my point??
Too tired and lazy to bother with a sig, Sorry.
Good thread. You really show off your TRUE METAL POWERS.
Quote by 'rockintheblues 14, 2007 2:38 am'
but i really do hate you and hope you and everyone you love is killed in the worst possible ways. i hope i get to spit in your eyes as you let out your final breath
Quote by rage6945
there newer stuff isnt really "hardcore". ive heard a lot of people refer to them as the guns and roses of our time..... i kinda see where theyre coming from. i honestly think avenged sevenfold is better (except slash is still god, i just think axl is kinda cheesy)

Axl is cheesy? Avenged has guys named Zacky Vengeance, Synyster Gates and The Rev. That's high quality cheese!
Quote by pix_dement
well how do you realy defy metal?? it's like theres meny metal genres. like heavy metal. its not metal but still metal. so Slipknot is a kind of metal...you get my point??

thats exactly what i mean
Quote by tarheelfan2

Quote by funkbass369

Quote by funkyfigure8
Quote by rush4life
Axl is cheesy? Avenged has guys named Zacky Vengence, Syn Gates and The Rev. That's high quality cheese!

yea, but axl is a douchebag so were even now... nothing is chessier than a balding, middle aged white man with cornrows though.... you gotta give me that at least
Quote by tarheelfan2

Quote by funkbass369

Quote by funkyfigure8
the dudes plans backfired. its funny

haha yea sure did

you might was well lock this thread and I will move on to metal archives

haha

if thats not cheesy than what is
Quote by tarheelfan2

Quote by funkbass369

Quote by funkyfigure8
Quote by JOEYPWNSU

if thats not cheesy than what is

man does that luck familiar...

Wow. Seperated at birth or what
Quote by richwatkinson
haha You pwned an entire website....i bow down...

TheDudeBox