For anybody who knows what this means, I have a question for you. My dad works as a stationary engineer at our local community college and he can get me into any class I want for free . I am wondering if I can take courses like my A+ certification or even Microsoft certification if I am 17 and a senior in high school? My dad says that I need to graduate to take these certification classes, but im not so sure. Also, if anybody is in the IT field, what do I need to do in the line of certifications / degree to make a good living?
Thanks in advance!
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
You can get an A+ certification in a box of Cracker Jacks but uh.....its a start

But to answer your question yea you can get that in high school, I got mine in high school and now they offer a LOT more than they did when I went to that hole in the wall.
See Jane. See Jane run. Run b*tch, run.
Last edited by coffeexxninja at Sep 24, 2007,
I am doing a BSc in Information Technology, and a Cisco qualification for networking. I think with most jobs they look at your how many certificates you have and they base it on that.
Quote by Necrophagist777

I agree, i always help people up. At the last show we all protected this little kid who was tying his shoe in the middle of the pit.

http://www.mylot.com/?ref=Phase3
Quote by coffeexxninja
You can get an A+ certification in a box of Cracker Jacks but uh.....its a start

Well, I have also not really set myself in what I want to pursue in college, so I wanted to take a course or two to test it out. Besides, I have always wanted to build my own computer. Do you know if there's an age requirement?
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by djmay71
you definetly need to graduate from high school

So do you think this summer I would be able to take the course? Or do i have to be 18?
Edit: My birthday is August 29th
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
there's no age requirement. i thought about doing it when i was like 16. but then i went to college instead. but it's a viable career path, if ur good most jobs you can get have salaries in like the $45k range

edit...
and no you don't have to graduate...
at least not in georgia...
Nope. I'm 15, and A+ Certified. My school paid for me to take the test, after I took Computer Service and Support class. It should come in handy for my summer job. No more $8.22 an hour : )
Quote by hug a llama
You put parentheses in parentheses. I...I...I think I love you.

Quote by Vos
THANK YOU! You're my hero!
Last edited by Beware!Criminal at Sep 24, 2007,
my dad's into the techy ****; all I know is that it's important to get other certifications, and though you'll have tons of competition (more than you'd think) in the job hunting field, you can get a pretty nice paying position eventually.

tip: start small; get a **** job in the industry and work your way up
thrash till death
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. sig this if you like bagels.
Quote by kidsthesedays
there's no age requirement. i thought about doing it when i was like 16. but then i went to college instead. but it's a viable career path, if ur good most jobs you can get have salaries in like the $45k range

edit...
and no you don't have to graduate...
at least not in georgia...

From what I heard, (which isnt much) it's a good thing to have certifications along with some sort of degree. I do plan on going to some sort of 4 year college, but I wanted to test out some of these certifications before I pick a major in the same type of field.
Quote by pmeg568c

My Gear
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Like others said before me, A+ is a start but learn many many things if IT is what you think you want to do. I did A+ and CCNA. The Cisco cert. has since expired but I could not find a foot in the door anywhere. Granted Phoenix is flooded with IT folks many of whom knew a great deal more than me; curiously most of the people I went to school with who were in the industry already didn't didn't know the half of what I did and they certainly weren't interested in helping me get a job. Programming languages like C++, Java, visual basic and others are in demand as well as web stuff such as flash, XML etc, SQL, and databases are very good things to learn too. You really need to decide what interests you and learn as much as you can. I suggest getting your hands on some GNU/Linux discs and looking into that as well. The *NIX world has plenty of oppurtunity as well, though this is arena is more sys. admin. (programming).

Good luck
John