LOOK AT MY LAST POST

I am sophomore in high school and I have a paper to write that is due in about 4 days. I am a straight A student, study hard, etc. but I cannot write a paper worth ****. I know theres people out on this forum that are great writers. I don't want anyone to write my essay I just need help on getting started and getting different ideas and perspectives on the piece. Here is the assignment:

Compare and contrast E.E Cummings' "she being Brand" with Sharron Olds' "Sex Without Love." Considering the images, diction, similies/metaphors, etc., used by each author, construct an argument explaining the different effects each author intends with each poem. In other words, how do the speakers in each poem contrastingly portray sex and how do the aforementioned effects contribute to this portrayal?

she being Brand by E.E Cummings:

he being Brand

-new;and you
know consequently a
little stiff i was
careful of her and(having

thoroughly oiled the universal
joint tested my gas felt of
her radiator made sure her springs were O.

K.)i went right to it flooded-the-carburetor cranked her

up,slipped the
clutch(and then somehow got into reverse she
kicked what
the hell)next
minute i was back in neutral tried and

again slo-wly;bare,ly nudg.  ing(my

lev-er Right-
oh and her gears being in
A 1 shape passed
from low through
second-in-to-high like
greasedlightning)just as we turned the corner of Divinity

avenue i touched the accelerator and give

her the juice,good

(it

was the first ride and believe i we was
happy to see how nice she acted right up to
the last minute coming back down by the Public
Gardens i slammed on

the
internalexpanding
&
externalcontracting
brakes Bothatonce and

brought allofher tremB
-ling
to a:dead.

stand-
;Still)

you can also read here: http://www-scf.usc.edu/~thier/ee/#brand

Sex Without Love

How do they do it, the ones who make love
without love? Beautiful as dancers,
gliding over each other like ice-skaters
over the ice, fingers hooked
inside each other's bodies, faces
red as steak, wine, wet as the
children at birth whose mothers are going to
give them away. How do they come to the
come to the come to the God come to the
still waters, and not love
the one who came there with them, light
rising slowly as steam off their joined
skin? These are the true religious,
the purists, the pros, the ones who will not
accept a false Messiah, love the
priest instead of the God. They do not
mistake the lover for their own pleasure,
they are like great runners: they know they are alone
with the road surface, the cold, the wind,
the fit of their shoes, their over-all cardio-
vascular health--just factors, like the partner
in the bed, and not the truth, which is the
single body alone in the universe
against its own best time.

you can also read here: http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/sex-without-love/

Your help is so greatly appreciated! I just need some ideas on how to get started and maybe someone views on these pieces
Last edited by WlCmToTheJungle at Sep 25, 2007,
sry dude im more confused than u i think?
UG Villians Club

DRACULA

Quote by James_Water2
I want to bring sexy back and then leave with it and when everyone is like holy crap where did sexy go I'd say I have Sexy and im bring it back again. But then Sexy will leave me and i will be homeless.
Is that how the first one is actually set out? I've never read it before.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
i dunno man, i know quite a lot about poetry

basically break down the question, compare the similarities, contrast the differences in each and their interpretation on sex , their descriptions and views on the subject, i guess??
sounds like you just have to compare the two authors and how they wrote about sex in their own way.

SO.. I'm assuming this is a form of an essay?

all an essay is is basically your opinion, backed up by facts or what my teacher would say, "Concrete Details"

my English teacher's proffered 11 sentence essay format:

1.) Thesis/topic sentence; grab the reader, your "hook"
--> 2.) CD (fact)
--> 3.) CD (fact)
--> 4.) Your OPINION; of which the facts (CD's) back up ((or switch #4 and #2))
Repeat till Sentence #9
#10 and 11 should be your closing statement/conclusion

this is a really simple essay format, but for this assignment you'd probably need to tweak it a little so you can fit enough info yet still be brief..

does this help?
thrash till death
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. sig this if you like bagels.
hold up I misread; let me re-type my reply

massive editing underway
thrash till death
her radiator made sure her springs were O.

K.)i went right to it flooded-the-carburetor cranked her

up,slipped the
clutch(and then somehow got into reverse she
kicked what
the hell)next
minute i was back in neutral tried and

again slo-wly;bare,ly nudg. ing(my

lev-er Right-
A 1 shape passed
from low through
second-in-to-high like
greasedlightning)just as we turned the corner of Divinity

avenue i touched the accelerator and give

her the juice,good

(it

was the first ride and believe i we was
happy to see how nice she acted right up to
the last minute coming back down by the Public
Gardens i slammed on

the
internalexpanding
&
externalcontracting
brakes Bothatonce and

brought allofher tremB
-ling
to a:dead.

stand-
;Still)

obviously related to sex, the author seems to be referring to the woman as a stick shift vehicle (how rude lol) "again slo-wly;bare,ly nudg. ing(my

lev-er Right-
A 1 shape passed
from low through
second-in-to-high like
greasedlightning)just as we turned the corner of Divinity"

so that's how I'd start to explain that one...

How do they do it, the ones who make love basically "how do they have sex w/o love?
without love? Beautiful as dancers,
gliding over each other like ice-skaters "sex is a Beautiful thing"
over the ice, fingers hooked
inside each other's bodies, faces
red as steak, wine, wet as the IMO fairly blunt imagery
children at birth whose mothers are going to
give them away. How do they come to the
come to the come to the God come to the
still waters, and not love
the one who came there with them, light
rising slowly as steam off their joined they are sinful
skin? These are the true religious,
the purists, the pros, the ones who will not
accept a false Messiah, love the
priest instead of the God. They do not
mistake the lover for their own pleasure,
they are like great runners: they know they are alone
with the road surface, the cold, the wind,
the fit of their shoes, their over-all cardio-
vascular health--just factors, like the partner
in the bed, and not the truth, which is the
single body alone in the universe
against its own best time.

you get how I'm doing this? just slowly breaking it down into what I think the author is saying? try that.. then try the essay thing. that's what I'd do anyway... if you can, ask your teacher.
thrash till death
red sauce, you have no idea how much i appreciate that

There are striking similarities and differences between E.E Cummings’ “she being Brand” and Sharron Olds’ “Sex Without Love”. Cummings creates his perspective on the subject matter through a jarring and extensive metaphor that can be easily interpreted while Olds’ perspective is very straight forth with the reader. The ideas that each author brings forth in these pieces complement their views on sex and the way it is practiced.

how do you guys think that is for a thesis?
The poem by Mrs. Cummings:
VERY awkward prose. No discernible rhyme scheme. One could even say that the whole thing is stiff (I hate that style). FILLED with sexual innuendo. To such a point that it's sickening; I can't believe that your teacher gave you that. "Internal expanding, external contracting", "gave her the juice". As for the car metaphor, all I can come up with is that the subject of the poem (the man) perceives sex as a means to an end; lacking any "higher" significance (i.e. no love, all lust. i'll leave it to you to define love.)
I hate her presumptuousness. Either her first time was miserable and she's bitter, or she's a raging feminist that screws guys anyway.

The second is a bit more abstruse. (esp. the come to the come to the come to the god come to the... there's a pun in there somewhere). The author here is lacking presumption, she takes on the role of the observer in the poem, instead of the former's method of placing herself in the role of the supposed animalistic male.

She then posits a reason for the lack of apparent attachment, giving this poem some poetic merit unlike the sack of crap above it (sorry, i'll stop). Olds sees these people as nihilists (in the philosophical sense. I do not think that she means god and priest literally, those two were merely a convenient example). That last bit is more conjecture than the rest, feel free to disagree.

EDIT:
That sounds like a fine thesis, I would stress the distinction that the first is a more rhetorical than literal expression of the author's take on sex.
EDIT EDIT:
****, i thought cummings was a chick. I still stand by my previous statement though.
Last edited by listless at Sep 24, 2007,
^well said; poems are hard to decipher, and he did a better job of it

good luck with your paper and be sure to ask your teacher questions; they're there to help
thrash till death
This is a rather inappropriate topic to choose to look into, and I think your teacher is irresponsible in choosing such poems as these.

But if you still wish, I'll print out the two poems and annotate them how I would and photo copy them back and post them up if you wish.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v491/kaplac/?action=view&current=annotations-for-UG.gif
Last edited by kaplac at Sep 24, 2007,
if it makes any difference, my teacher is a student-teacher in college. He said he brought these poems in because "lets face it, all guys wanna talk about sex"

hes actually an awesome dude
shut the hell up about how innapropriate it is, it's poetry sex is a universal theme...how is it NOT gonna appear in poetry?
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
lol
thrash till death
Well the reason why I find it is inappropriate is because not everyone is as comfortable about it as you. And it can very easily become a big issue if a parent in the teacher's class is offended by it.

If this is a public school the TS goes to, then I feel the teacher made a bad move on choosing the focus on these two particular poems. There are a lot of peoms in the world, and he could have very easily achieved the same result with more school appropriate topics.

I honestly don't find anything offending about it, I just think that for a state funded school, I'd expect a more professional outlook upon such sensitive topics. If a teacher had assigned this at my school, he'd probably get transferred to another school, and most likely get some angry parents.

Anyways, TS look at my first post, I edited a link for my annotations for the 2 poems. I think the main thing that teacher wants to emphasize about the two poems is that they are different views upon the same subject. The first poem seems to emphasize male dominance, and the send poem likes to beautify sex, and have essentially a female voicing. They both overuse literary devices, didn't catch a lot of alliteration or assonance, but I'm sure if you looked harder you'd find more, I just wanted to point out the main ideas to you in the poems. These poems have no specific meter or cadence, no immense rhyme, it's a free write poem. Uhh, yeah If I had the assignment, I'd focus on the difference views the two writers give about sex. explain how metaphors and similes give different views on something, like working on a car has roots in history as being a guy thing, tough, mean guy, then contrast it to an ice-skater, ice-skating is mostly a female dominated sport, and focuses on beauty and artistic imagery.

Yeah, I could go on for ages, but yeah you get the idea.
sorry to double post, but i finished my rough draft, can anyone look at it?

There are striking similarities and differences between E.E Cummings’ “she being Brand” and Sharron Olds’ “Sex Without Love”. Cummings creates his perspective on the subject matter through a jarring and extensive metaphor that can be easily interpreted while Olds’ perspective is very straight forth with the reader. The ideas that each author brings forth in these pieces complement their views on sex and the way it is practiced.
In “she being Brand”, E.E Cummings puts forth his ideas on sex through the use of metaphor. Cummings compares the taking of a woman’s virginity to driving a brand new automobile. This automobile is driven for the pleasures of driving just as the speaker having sex for the pleasures of sex. The choppy use of upper and lowercase letters and odd punctuation suggests that having sex with this particular woman was very awkward and clumsy as driving a new automobile would be.
The speaker is aware that the woman is new to sex and tells himself that he will be careful of her yet begins his experience by selfishly doing what is pleasuring for himself with no intent of the woman’s own manner. “I went right to it flooded-the-carburetor cranked her up, slipped the clutch (and then somehow got into reverse she kicked what the hell)”. This suggests that the speaker started too quickly and the woman, being a novice and quite stiff, did not know how to respond. She becomes uncomfortable and maybe in pain as she tries to stop the speaker from going any further without slowing down.
After realizing what he had done, the speaker takes his heavy foot off the accelerator and puts the car in neutral. He tries again by “slo-wly; bare,ly nudg. Ing” the accelerator. He speeds up slightly and when he and the woman are comfortable, he “passed from low through second-in-to-high like greasedlightning”. He floors the accelerator which puts both him and the woman into a state of climax.
Cummings places himself in the situation as he portrays sex through the thoughts and feelings of the man. He perceives sex as something with little significance. His desire for this woman is not based on love but lust. “she being Brand” seems to emphasize male dominance. The presumptuousness of the woman leads the man to take advantage of her in the beginning of the poem. The car metaphor used has roots in history of being masculine. Working on a new car usually portrayed as being done by a mean and tough man.
In Sharron Olds’ “Sex Without Love”, Olds puts forth her ideas on sex through use of simile, metaphor, and analogies. The poem is focused on the temporary beauty and gracefulness of sex between two more experienced people. Her disgust and anger towards the way she views sex is represented by the sarcastic attitude that she displays in the piece. Olds balances many views to explain the subject in different perspectives
The author beautifies the love that two people share through the act of sex. “Formal as dancers, gliding over each other like ice-skaters over the ice, fingers hooked inside each other’s bodies, faces red as steak”. This suggests the elegance of sex, comparing it to ice skating, a sport that based on beauty and art. The metaphor of ice skaters also advocates that this piece is based on a more feminine perspective.
As the poem continues, the author begins to display her anger towards the idea of sex with someone one is not in love with. She displays her own perspective as a Christian woman. “…wine, wet as the children at birth whose mothers are going to give them away. How do they come to the come to the come to the God come to the still waters, and love the one who came with them”. Her anger and disgust is implied as she repeats “come to the” multiple times as if she cannot decipher the reasoning behind having sex with someone who you do not love.
Olds continues furthermore with the analogy of lovers being like long distance runners. The two people with an only sexually based relationship are like want-to-be long distance runners, admiring those that actually do run the distance. The want-to-be runners are alone with the cold road with small factors such as the fit of their shoes, the wind, and the other person in bed with them. However, their truth is not a factor in deciding the overall relationship one wants with the other person.
Olds, lacking presumption, is acting as the observer in this poem instead of placing herself in the role as Cumming’s did through the man in “she being Brand”. Olds’ places sex as highly significant and sex without love is immoral and untruthful to oneself. The piece accentuates a feminine input on sex with metaphors such as an ice skaters gliding over ice. Both authors present valid points, however, the many differences and few similarities create two completely different perspective on sex.

or you can read it on word!
Attachments:
she being Brand vs. Sex Without Love Essay.zip