I always see the pros with their fingers slanting at a near 45 degree angle down the fingerboard. Is that the right way to have your hand? Dave Mustaine said once that his teacher told him to straighten his fingers out with the frets especially higher up the board. I experimented with it but it only seems effective at anything past the 12th fret.
Originally Posted by SkyValley
yeah im a virgin but im also pretty good at things like ping-pong and drawing pictures of people playing water polo so it balances out
I used to get so much **** for doing this at Uni but that was for classical guitar, my teacher said that I had a sloppy left hand from playing too much rock & metal! haha, he's obviously never heard many rock and metal guitarists eh?! Try telling John Petrucci he plays too much rock and it is affecting his playing!

In all seriousness I think it depends on your left hand position, if you play with your thumb on the back of the neck the whole time you will probably benefit from straightening your finger angle, but if you hang your thumb over like me the slant is inevitable.
I do try to keep my thumb at the middle of the neck. How would you hang your thumb over?
Originally Posted by SkyValley
yeah im a virgin but im also pretty good at things like ping-pong and drawing pictures of people playing water polo so it balances out
it comes naturally after a month or two, but yea if u keep it behind the neck then slant ur fingers man
it gives you more room for vibratos...
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
yea, it really depends on the style you're playing.

if you're playing classical, you'll probably be told that your technique is unacceptable/incorrect. However, the vast majority of guitarists from other genres would be perfectly fine with that sort of position. It's a lot easier to execute vibratos and bends with this position.

but i suppose it would make sense to straighten out fingers when playing higher frets
because of reduced space.
Quote by silvadolla
...but i suppose it would make sense to straighten out fingers when playing higher frets
because of reduced space.

Thats a good point!

If you don't understand the thumb over the neck thing, watch this video of Satriani playing Summer Song, you can see from a couple of angles where he positions his thumb. There are lots of other players but I knew Joe did it so this was the first youtube result.