hi im starting to get more instreded in classical guitar and i want to play and practice sme relly awsome sounding songs got any ideas
ug's cool so i guess im cool to

Originally Posted by gallagher2006
Whats a Steve Vai? Floyd Rose ripoff?

Originally Posted by Virgil_Hart05
no...stop being fat
Bouree - JS Bach
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
For your first year(or more) of classical guitar, you don't play awesome pieces(pet peeve of mine, it's a piece not a song), you play technique builders. You play arpeggio studies, scale studies. It's all to build up your finger independence and control, without it, you aren't a classical guitarist. Hell, you would be a pretty bad normal guitarist. So, I recommend some good beginner studies. Go to a music store and ask for the sheet music. That's another element of classical guitar. You will want to learn to read music. Just to get you going:

Sor Studies.

There are many many many. They will keep you going for a while. Make sure you practice them slowly. Always slow before fast.
Quote by confusius
For your first year(or more) of classical guitar, you don't play awesome pieces(pet peeve of mine, it's a piece not a song), you play technique builders. You play arpeggio studies, scale studies. It's all to build up your finger independence and control, without it, you aren't a classical guitarist. Hell, you would be a pretty bad normal guitarist. So, I recommend some good beginner studies. Go to a music store and ask for the sheet music. That's another element of classical guitar. You will want to learn to read music. Just to get you going:

Sor Studies.

There are many many many. They will keep you going for a while. Make sure you practice them slowly. Always slow before fast.

You basically just said everything I was about to say haha... Listen to what confusius says TS, hes very wise.
The Guiliani and Carcassi Studies are also good for beginners....
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
Carulli also has some great studies and songs arranged for graduated learning.
Quote by confusius
For your first year(or more) of classical guitar, you don't play awesome pieces(pet peeve of mine, it's a piece not a song),

You make it sound like studies are just mindless poop. Villa-Lobos has very interesting studies when your ear is ready for it.

I do disagree with your method though. Unless the person has made a conscious and clearcut choice to become a great classical guitarist, studies shouldn't be exclusively played. Often times they lack certain musicality, or you don't learn how to treat different parts of a song and the major transitions. You should play what is reasonably within your level that interests you, in my opinion. I see where you are coming from, but that is definitely not for everyone.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Yes I agree with your comments and yes, Villalobos has great studies, but from threadstarters question, I think what would suit him best would be studies. I don't mean only learn studies, you can learn other things of course, but if you want to be a great classical guitarist you have to learn the balance between technique and musicality.

Tbh I had taken this from the way I approached the classical guitar which was that I could already play the violin and had making music more in my head which allowed me to build up my technique to then add to it with the actual expression of playing later. I was also being a bit stern on the studies idea, because jumping into Asturias = bad idea. I still think that at first he should do studies, and when he can actually play to a certain degree, add the pieces. A nice one for that is Lagrima by Tarrega. It's not very hard, but that is one piece where you work on dynamics and tone, this being playing at different distances from the sound hole etc.

confusius speaks the truth dont dive in and try to play asturias or savilla or somethign haha start with studies, i recommend Mauro Giuliani's 120 studies for right hand development to well... develop your right hand technique haha
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.