are active pickups worth the extra price. i am thinking about buying some new pickups but i have never played a guitar with actives on it. i play a lot of rock music (mostly harder stuff but not too hard). would you recomend actives over passive. it would be nice to know the difference before i put any time or money into it. i know that they use batteries and have a pre-amp in them what ever that means. thanks for your help
they call og or nothing at all!!
what amp do you have
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
I find that passives are far more organic sounding than actives...
but they do lack that punch that actives give you.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
seeing as you play rock though, id say passive... seymour duncan makes damn good passives
Quote by tarheelfan2

Quote by funkbass369

Quote by funkyfigure8
They don't all use batteries.
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
Quote by TSelman

all actives use batteries, all passives don't

i like my actives, they do give a nice punch, and batteries aren't a big thing because unless you keep your guitar plugged in all of the time they last 5000 hours of play time(at least emg's do, but that might be cut in half with 2 active pickups), and 9 volts are like 5 dollars a pack. i
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
Quote by electricsnake
all actives use batteries, all passives don't

i like my actives, they do give a nice punch, and batteries aren't a big thing because unless you keep your guitar plugged in all of the time they last 5000 hours of play time(at least emg's do, but that might be cut in half with 2 active pickups), and 9 volts are like 5 dollars a pack. i

wrong you are... seymour duncan blackouts, and the dave mustaine livewires are actives and dont have batteries
Quote by tarheelfan2

Quote by funkbass369

Quote by funkyfigure8
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/cutting-edge/blackouts/
active=uses a battery, look in these sections on that site:
description: 9 volt active humbucker
complete setup: comes with a "battery clip"
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
Quote by electricsnake
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/cutting-edge/blackouts/
active=uses a battery, look in these sections on that site:
description: 9 volt active humbucker
complete setup: comes with a "battery clip"

touche... i feel like a douche now.... i dont know why i even thought they didnt have batteries....
Quote by tarheelfan2

Quote by funkbass369

Quote by funkyfigure8
actives act sort of as a preamp as the signal goes out from the guitar to boost the signal. correct me if im wrong
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
actives do actually have a powered preamp, that's what makes them "active". They use very weak magnets in the pup, so there is a lot less noise, and they use an active powered preamp to drive the signal. The only pups I know of that advertise sounding "like" an active, and not using a battery, are the Dimarzio Deactivators. The rest all use 9V-18V. You can get passives that can match the output and characteristics pretty close, but none have the natural noise suppression. They work exceptionally well for metal in that regard, low noise under high gain, and a tight percussive lowend. I don't know if I would go active if classic rock is mainly what you play, but they do have an excellent "crunch".
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by TSelman

if it's active, IT NEEDS A BATTERY

it depends on what you want, do you think that you need an extra punch in your tone, cause you can get excellent tones from passive pickups
well what amp do you have first?

if you have an amp that already gives a great tone with even a piece of crap guitar.
you won't need actives.

but say your playing through a digital amp or a low end solid state (line 6, marshall MG, etc.)
then you might want to give actives higher consideration.

then of course, comes what style you play, actives are to my knowledge meant for a chunkier tone that metal players want/need.
so say your playing blues or classic rock, then actives are NOT what you want/need.

if your playing one of those styles, then look for some good passive SD's or DiMarzio's.
Quote by MrDURPEEDURP
well what amp do you have first?

if you have an amp that already gives a great tone with even a piece of crap guitar.
you won't need actives.

but say your playing through a digital amp or a low end solid state (line 6, marshall MG, etc.)
then you might want to give actives higher consideration.

then of course, comes what style you play, actives are to my knowledge meant for a chunkier tone that metal players want/need.
so say your playing blues or classic rock, then actives are NOT what you want/need.

if your playing one of those styles, then look for some good passive SD's or DiMarzio's.

I heard that active pickups sound horrible through a SS amp. Thats just what I heard though.
WTLTL 2011
Well, they don't actually sound horrible, just average. If you have a SS amp, consider getting passives, 'cause the actives wouldn't sound even half as good as they could.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Actives + SS = Mush
Actives + Tube = Reasonable
Passives + SS = Reasonable
Passives + Tube = SWEET

IMO, anyway, not a fan of actives, sound a bit sterile to me
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
They're only sterile if you are using a *ceramic* active pickup (EMG-81s are a good example). Put a EMG-85 pup in the bridge and a 60 in the neck and then tell me that they are sterile.
Basses
Ibanez Gio GSR100 w/ SDs

Amps
Acoustic B200
Quote by subliminaldelta
They're only sterile if you are using a *ceramic* active pickup (EMG-81s are a good example). Put a EMG-85 pup in the bridge and a 60 in the neck and then tell me that they are sterile.

most passive ceramic's are sterile too
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
-SD "Pearly Gates" bridge pickup
-50's style wiring
Digitech RP150
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 Linear Power Booster
Peavey Windsor Studio

= My amp on crack