Do you believe most of the things the mass media tells you? I'm talking about the news organizations that claim to be unbiased like NBC, BBC, ABC and CBS and so on. Tell if you do, and why or why not, I want to hear your input.
Never. I just swim on over to the Middle East so I can get the first-hand accounts.
Life is underrated.

Quote by Mad Marius
That's like saying you got cancer that comes with AIDS.
The media is full of lies and lots of deceit, but also of truthful things that people need to know about. It's a necessity, but it's nowhere near perfect.
WATCH THIS

Quote by GabeT347
does anybody have a sitar?
Quote by highway62
you have to buy them from george harrison. He owns all of them
If something is worth knowing, it's worth looking into.

I try to read several accounts of news from different places on the interwebs, if it's something I care to know about.

Aside from that, I really don't trust much of anybody.
I mostly read the newspaper, but not actually read mostly skim through until I find something that interests or affects me. Do that.
My Rig:
Ibanez RVX 220DX
Vox Valvetronix 30watt
Yes
especially FOX News. They're totally fair and balanced all the time. 24/7

/sarcasm

i only really watch the daily show and colbert report. sadly, they're some of the most accurate and balanced. granted they do take sides, but they tend to give you most sides of the argument, and do so in a humorous manner.
never trust, trust if for fools
Raise Your Hand If you Like:

3 inches of blood
Amon Amarth
Coheed and Cambria
Death Cab For Cutie
Every Time I Die
I Killed the Prom Queen
In Flames
Pride Tiger

My cousins band from Vancouver-NWOBCHM- myspace.com/scarstruckmetalband
The media rarely "lies". Their's are lies of omission not fact. As revolutionplz stated get your info from multiple sources. It is sometimes quite amazing to put a story together without "spin".
If 2 men are in a footrace (let's call them Mr. Brown and Mr. Black) and Mr. Brown loses he can factually state "I finished second Mr Black came in next to last". All truth all spin. Happens all the time.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
not really. they always tell you the safe stuff. i really dont trust the media in music though.
Quote by BadgeMan
I think this is fitting -

e-3-------------------
b---3--3-5-3--------
g-----------------3-4
d-----------------4-5
a-----------------4-5
E-----------------2-3
I don't trust the media, but i do trust UG. If you guys have an opnion and i read it, i immediately relate to it, unless it gets flamed a few posts down then i thnk about it again. I know the media has their own agendas so i can't rely on them. most of the time i don't even care about the news.
i tend to get my news from digg, tbh. and if its a big enough story, someone will make a thread about it in the pit here.......

but all the major news networks are corporate, and want to make money more than provide the complete truth. like some1 said, the daily show and the colbert report are truthier than any of the major networks
Quote by Dimebag22
This might just be the smartest guy in The Pit. I didn't believe Ethan when he told me there were smart people in The Pit But I was wrong.

yeah, thats me

member 42 of the Iron Maiden are gods club. PM revelations to join
Quote by si!
Do you believe most of the things the mass media tells you? I'm talking about the news organizations that claim to be unbiased like NBC, BBC, ABC and CBS and so on. Tell if you do, and why or why not, I want to hear your input.
I could rant for pages and pages.

Basically, I don't trust textbooks. I'm not a conspiracy nut, but there are reasons the mass media isn't trustworthy at all, because of its own biases and because it's pretty obvious that a bunch of things said just aren't... I wouldn't say "true", but "fair", "neutral", "non-misleading". The BBC isn't awful, AlJazeera is pretty good but there's a perceptible pro-Western slant in some of the AlJazeera English stories (the only ones I can read), it's a lot of disenchanted ex-BBC reporters. I still read the BBC, even an American source once in awhile, it's certainly not all "lies", though more than you'd think suggests things that are completely false, and if you use that as an exclusive source of information you'll get a picture of the world that is really, really deluded.

The whole "liberal media" thing is a bunch of bunk. It's a common theme in hyperconservative dialogue where you kick someone in the stomach repeatedly until they're on the ground, bleeding, and then ask them why they're being so aggressive.
Quote by Meths
Really, it's quite gutting that we'll all be dead by the time the earth is entirely underwater because I really want to stick your head underwater while standing on Everest and say "if sea levels aren't rising, HOW COME YOU'RE DYING?!"
Quote by Holy Katana
I trust the mainstream media more than I trust the conservative media.

Ever watched Fox News Channel?
Quote by RandyVanHendrix
Ever watched Fox News Channel?

Fox News is part of the conservative media. They're convinced that the mainstream media has a liberal slant, so they spin the news their way about twice as hard. That's pretty much how the conservative media works.
i believe most of what they say, i just know that they leave 60% of the important stuff out

Quote by wilty00
Aren't you kind of scared walking around in the dark with a carniverous loon on the loose?
Quote by GnikNus
i believe most of what they say, i just know that they leave 60% of the important stuff out
Change "60%" to "8734%" because of their spending most of their time overstating obscenely unimportant things, and you'd have a point.
Quote by Meths
Really, it's quite gutting that we'll all be dead by the time the earth is entirely underwater because I really want to stick your head underwater while standing on Everest and say "if sea levels aren't rising, HOW COME YOU'RE DYING?!"
What makes me mad is how they cover crime and usually don't report a crime unless it's local or very severe, then they tell you every crime that every illegal immigrant in the country is convicted of or is suspect to.

Liberal bias my @$$
Alright, here's another question for you guys: a lot of people are saying stuff like they don't trust the conservative media because they slant stuff their way, and the media in general leaves out most of the important stuff, but what are your sources? How do you really know the difference between what's going on, and what you're being told?
Fox News most definantly has a conservative slant. But CNN is quite liberal. Most people say they aren't, but name the two presidential candidates you here most about from them. Clinton and Obama.
“In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”
The only problem with mainstream media is that people actually take what they're hearing at face value instead of thinking about it. And even worse they think that by adopting other peoples opinions they seem intelligent without knowing anything. Think for yourself, ask questions and you'll be fine. It's the best anyone who's not really into this stuff can do.
Quote by si!
Alright, here's another question for you guys: a lot of people are saying stuff like they don't trust the conservative media because they slant stuff their way, and the media in general leaves out most of the important stuff, but what are your sources? How do you really know the difference between what's going on, and what you're being told?
Talking to immigrants or people in other countries is a good start, a big part of the bias is cultural. Also, a bit of memory, attention and common sense; a lot of the information contradicting lies(/more frequently half-truths) told in the Western mainstream media can be picked up from other places in the Western mainstream media. Some things are abundantly obvious, they're just ignored or even denied in the mainstream.

Quote by JesusLives
Fox News most definantly has a conservative slant. But CNN is quite liberal. Most people say they aren't, but name the two presidential candidates you here most about from them. Clinton and Obama.
You're inviting a complex discussion. Firstly, American political terms are completely useless, the word "liberal" not only doesn't mean what it does every where else in the world, it's not even used to refer to the "left", partly because the pundit scene is dominated by hypercons and partly because the entire country's formal political platform is ultraconservative or extremely "right" (conservative may not be the right word at all; again, America poisons political terms) on many, many fronts.
Quote by Meths
Honestly, no. I'm not saying that they lie necessarily, but there's obviously going to be some skew and omission, so the representation of facts isn't always reliable.

However, I watch a sick amount of news. Not because I want to see what they're saying but because I want to see the information that everybody else is getting. What is shaping the minds of modern society, socially and politically? If I'm going to understand the people around me and their thoughts about the current events of the world then I should receive the same information as they do in order to discuss/debate with them. I watch it cause it's interesting, anyhow.
I only take what I need/want, however I think it as trustworthy as is supposed to be.
...Up to the battlefield to where the spirits walk...
Another question: What about the news just concerning the government. Things like wars, office positions and such, do you think the government has any control over the news?
(Besides the ones that obviously do, eg: Fox)