i just bought a slide today from the music store, and i'm looking for any songs that use it. basically. anything from catch hell blues by the white stripes to freebird. any ideas?
Paul Gilbert
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
John Petrucci
thanks for the help guys.
Quote by steakyoung
free bird?

i mean the sliding part in the beginning.
Paul Gilbert
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
John Petrucci
Freebird and Ballad of Curtis Lowe are great Skynyrd slide songs.
There are countless Allman Bros. songs so look into them. Duane Allman is considered by almost everybody the best slide guitarist ever and 2nd(1st imo) ever period.
Also, look into the classics like Robert Johnson, Son House, Muddy Waters(his early stuff) and Elmore James. Taj Mahal, Derek Trucks, Warren Hayes(Gov't Mule) and some of Claptons slide is all fantastic as well.
The lead in "Heartbreak Tonight" is slide, if I'm not mistaken, and the "What Is And What Should Never Be" solo definitely is.
Quote by Douche ©
I may not be cool off the internet, but on the internet I am pretty cool.

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6
myabe we all suck thats why were sitting at a computer desk talking **** thro the enternet lol

If not all of us, at least him.

<//////>~
oh man. derek trucks. i love derek trucks' sound. seriously. it's so nice.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
yeah, i like how he uses a lot of "latin" and "jazz" in his playing too other than the straight up blues. Songlines is by far his finest cd, imo, though they are all great. He doesnt use any effects or anything like that too, his tone is just what he can get out of his axe and amp, much like the late and great Duane Allman.
^^yes it involves a lot of slide in the beginning.

^good taste.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
In My Time Of Dying by Led Zeppelin. I'm learning this at the moment, not too difficult and sounds great.
Freebird does start of with a nice slide part, but I'm so sick of hearing it I won't even try to play it, and onstage you lose the audience about halfway through, it's too long.

Learn to use some open tunings, if you really get into slide you will find open G and open D very common for slide songs. Duane Allman used open tunings a lot, same for most slide players. David Gilmour uses at least 3 open tunings, Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones used open G and other open tunings a lot, and some of the Stones' biggest tunes are open G. Honky Tonk women comes to mind, but it's not a slide song.

George Thorogood's Bad to the Bone is in open G and pretty easy, so it would be great for learning slide. Clapton did a couple of fairly easy ones on his Unplugged show, Motherless Children is more difficult but a great slide song, Bad Motor Scooter by Montrodse (The first song Sammy Hagar ever wrote) is a great one for slide with lots of distortion, and check out Van Wilks he's done some great slide tunes. Stiletto Blues, in particular is in Open D, Texas Jukin is acoustic slide, Another Man's Shadow, Tempted, and several others are excellent tunes.

Rocky Mountain Way
I Hear You Knockin' by Dave Edmonds (old tune, might not be easy to find) has a nice fairly simple slide part,
ZZ Top - Billy Gibbons has done some great slide tunes, Tush in particular,
Tom Petty's lead guitarist Mike Campbell does some really nice slide work in a lot of Tom's songs, check out I won't Back Down from Full Moon Fever.
George Harrison did some great slide work on several Traveling Wilburys tunes, and if you listen to a lot of different groups, you'll start to notice slide in places you never paid much attention to until you start playing slide and listening for it. I use slide a lot in cover tunes that didn't originally include slide, if I think it might fit, I try it.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by pmc100
In My Time Of Dying by Led Zeppelin. I'm learning this at the moment, not too difficult and sounds great.

+1
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...