Would I be able to put a Musicman Stingray Bass pickup in a Fender Precision Bass copy? My bass has only two pots but every diagram I've seen for this humbucker Stingray pickup has four. Would it be possible to use only two pots and just sacrifice the tone versatility?
Edit: I already tried the customizing forum but nobody answered.
it depends what kind of humbcuker u put in there. the pots are for the active EQ, the humbucker itself might not require all the knobs, the humbucker is still a passive pickup in either set up. but for sho i'd get professional advice and let him do it.
Quote by SocKo?
it depends what kind of humbcuker u put in there. the pots are for the active EQ, the humbucker itself might not require all the knobs, the humbucker is still a passive pickup in either set up. but for sho i'd get professional advice and let him do it.

I agree. I would see your local luthier about it. It would be the first P with H config I've ever seen. I saw a clip on YouTube of a guy using a Stingray with a P pickup a while back.

If you do go ahead with it DoctrDrew116, keep us informed!
Quote by shut_up_you_***
I agree. I would see your local luthier about it. It would be the first P with H config I've ever seen. I saw a clip on YouTube of a guy using a Stingray with a P pickup a while back.

well then you obviously haven't heard of sandberg!

That would be my advice,get a sandberg. However if you really wanted to do this then it IS possible to have a 3 band EQ using stacked pots, that would give you 4 pots using the space of 2. It is expensive however. Maybe you could get the pickup, then buy an EQ with stacked pots later. But if you've never done routing before, leave it to a pro. It is very difficult to rout out a finished body without buggering it up even for an expirenced luthier. Or get a sandberg.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
well then you obviously haven't heard of sandberg!

Sorry, I didn't make myself more clearer I meant a Fender Precision modded to a H pup only. I am aware of Sandberg's PM config. I'm quite intrigued. I saw a couple in a shop whilst I was gigging in Austria. Wish I had the time to sit down and play.
Last edited by shut_up_you_*** at Sep 25, 2007,
you can modify any bass to accept any p-up config. the question is, is it worth the money, and the answer is no. if you want a "bucker" sound, get a EBMM, or my favorite, a G&L.
^or a sandberg
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."