Hey guys, so I have a Strat and a Les Paul. recently I lowered the action on my Strat because it was too high, I was amazed at how low I can go without getting buzz. I am using 10's and I tuned them down a step just to make sure there still was no buzz, everything was fine.
Then I tried lowering the action on my Les Paul, even though I hadn't tuned down yet, I couldn't lower nearly as much as I had on my strat, there was buzz in some places on the fretboard, but the action was still way too high. I don't know what the problem is, maybe Les Pauls naturally need to have a higher action in order to be playable. Any thoughts?
All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.
-Mark Twain
Your truss rod needs to be adjusted most likely.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
my les paul action is pretty high as well, adn i still get buzz on the low e string.

strange, maybe i need to adjust my truss rod or get a setup job.
Yeah, I'd take it to a luthier/tech for a setup. You should be able to get your action just as low on a LP as on a Strat. My Gibson LP's action is probable the lowest of all my guitars. I took it to a good luthier right after I got it, and it plays great. They can do things with the truss rod, neck angle, nut adjustment that I wouldn't really try to do myself.
Fret leveling goes a long way when it comes to string buzz. The tune-o-matic bridge drawback is it only really has so much adjustment. With a strat if you have 1 string that buzzes you can adjust just that one. I know very few companies do a good fret leveling anymore. Most just put em in and send em out. So all it takes is one fret to be out to make problems. And if at the end of the fret board even worse. I know my LP action needed to be pretty high. The local guitar store didnt make it any better. my strat now I can pretty much take the height adjustment screws out of the saddle on the high e string. But its a bit to low so I will add some more neck angle to it to raise hesaddles a bit.
Well, the whole point of a Tune-o-matic is that it keeps the strings at approximately the right radius for the fretboard without the user needing to reset the individual saddles. Yeah, it ends up being a little less flexible in some cases. The way you adjust individual string height on a TOM is to replace the individual saddle. A LP should be able to attain the similar action over the board to a strat, but since the LP has a pitched neck and a fixed bridge and a strat has a straight neck on a trem bridge, the strings are going to seem higher at the bridge on a lp (even more so with a carved top) than on a strat. As far as buzz, what it coems down to is how well were the frets dressed on the individual guitars. They are very different from each other but neither is a bad design. The simple answer is a truss rod adjustment (don't bother if you are not very comfortable with your instrument) but the whole setup as a system; nut, bneck relife, frets, bridge height are going to work together to give you what ends up being your action. Best solution, take it in to a tech. Maybe they'll even let you watch while they work on it. More likely in a smaller shop than a larger one.