OK, as a couple of you know I joined a major-label band, and am just in the early stages of cutting my teeth with them. Anyway, I was talking to Tim (the frontman) and was asking him about how they do their live setups, and he said they have absolutely no amps on stage; everthing's done through Line 6 PODS. AAHHH!!! I'm in the process of buying a really expensive amp, and he tells me this?

Anyway, what should I do? In order to conform with their live setup, I either need to A) not buy the amp and get a POD or B)buy the amp and DI it to the board. However, if I go with option B, wouldn't I still need a speaker setup onstage? I'm really confused, I'm a knowledgeable musician but know little about live technology!

Thanks!
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Buying the POD would be much less expensive so you might wanna go with that...plus it'll make your job and the tech's job easier.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
if I did get the POD, would it pay to have an amp just in case? Not every show will have the big-gun PA system. And even if I did buy an amp, my max limit would be $500 which is much less than the amp I'm chipping away at right now. At GC they sold my 3-PRO really fast, and because I haven't finished paying for the 6PRO they said if I wanted I could swap it out for anything I wanted (and pay/be payed the remainer of my tab).

Whaddya think?
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
You should definately conform with the band's setup. Then later on, when you can afford it, then worry about getting an amp, but until then, I say go with the Line 6 POD.
I am a lucid dream to the illusionary slumber
Wading in a cesspool of forgotten memory
An insignificant host to the collective subconscious

~Sacred Slumber
wow no amps... that sucks and i really hate line 6 too. For me im always gonna need my amp behind me but i think you need to conform to what the rest of your band is doing.

oh and BTW how is the live sound, is it very digital or does it sound nice, ive always been interested in how a no amp setup would sound
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
it sounds really, really damn good. which kind of surprised me. I guess they used to use amps, but when they toured Europe it was such a pain (especially for their old bassist who used a Sovtek head and an Ampeg 8x10) that they gave up on amps.

The thing is, I'm probably gonna need to keep something in tow for gigs that have a weak PA or none at all. It's been decided that I need the POD, but to do so, I must sacrifice my partially-aquired Ampeg SVT-6PRO. I need an amp, I just can't get something that pricey now. They already sold my SVT-3PRO I traded in, plus $100 I already paid, so I've got $550 in store credit toward any amp in there. Right now it's sitting on the Ampeg, but not for long :[ what a bitch! now I've basically screwed myself into a GK 800RB. but I'm not gonna complain too much, I'm in a functional band! that's signed! and tours!
this would be a good time to put to use any favours you have with fellow bass players. if u need an amp borrow a friend's or rent one. if they whole band is running POD's they mustn't run into the amping problem too often so borrowing or renting an amp shouldn't be too frustrating. you must be careful tho and know which gigs will hav an operable PA and what won't. use the touring money to buy a nice amp later one.

my 2 cents.
K you have two choices.

1.) Listen to everyone else and get average to mediocre live sound while probably having to hire a tech to sort out all the complications.

2.) Listen to BOSE and it will be so simple there will be should be no need for one.

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_STATIC_PAGE_EVENT&url=/musicians/index.jsp&ck=0
Quote by BigRudy
I disagree Slipknot is more technical than Necrophagist and more brutal than Suffocation, that's why I do hardcore dances to it with my 14 year old friends.
Quote by mountaindew88
it sounds really, really damn good. which kind of surprised me. I guess they used to use amps, but when they toured Europe it was such a pain (especially for their old bassist who used a Sovtek head and an Ampeg 8x10) that they gave up on amps.

The thing is, I'm probably gonna need to keep something in tow for gigs that have a weak PA or none at all. It's been decided that I need the POD, but to do so, I must sacrifice my partially-aquired Ampeg SVT-6PRO. I need an amp, I just can't get something that pricey now. They already sold my SVT-3PRO I traded in, plus $100 I already paid, so I've got $550 in store credit toward any amp in there. Right now it's sitting on the Ampeg, but not for long :[ what a bitch! now I've basically screwed myself into a GK 800RB. but I'm not gonna complain too much, I'm in a functional band! that's signed! and tours!

wow im so surprised you would get a nice sound out of that.
just out of curiosity what does the rest of the band do when the PA isnt strong enough if they all play through pods.
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
Doesn't Meshuggah do the same with the PODs? I think you should just go for the POD for now... obviously if they're a major label band and are trusting their PODs, they haven't run into many probs, as someone had mentioned earlier.

Anyways, could you make a shameless plug for the band?
Quote by mhylands
You should definately conform with the band's setup. Then later on, when you can afford it, then worry about getting an amp, but until then, I say go with the Line 6 POD.

+1. But you could always go for a top range pre-amp DI as well like Ampeg, EBS or Sadowsky. When I did a few gigs abroad, I just brought my DI in my bag. Simple!

My band used to be purely POD driven, but some of the PAs and monitors at the venues we play couldn't really cope well. But for a good venue with good monitoring, you should have no worries at all using PODs, it can sound amazing!

Using PODs ensures that on-stage sound is optimal both for you and the audiences. I can't stand guitarists and bassists who put their amps really loud. They have no concept of hotspots. Whilst the problem isn't as bad as bassists due to the physics of it all, it creates a nightmare for the sound engineer and can skew the sound of the band.
Quote by bazz_aaron
wow im so surprised you would get a nice sound out of that.
just out of curiosity what does the rest of the band do when the PA isnt strong enough if they all play through pods.

they'll use amps, or just put up with the weak PA.

But wait, what would be the better option then, a POD or a good DI?
Let's not forget here that the PODs have amp modellers. You won't be playing a pure DI signal (unless you want it set up that way) and I guarantee that the other bandmembers don't. I don't know of many DI's that model amps.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
and if I used a DI, wouldn't I have to use an amp anyway?
Quote by mountaindew88
and if I used a DI, wouldn't I have to use an amp anyway?

Not at all. You can plug your bass into the DI and the DI into the board and have the monitors to hear yourself. That's what Geddy Lee does.

My last gig the setup was Bass -> amp -> DI -> Board and I used the amp as a monitor. However, you can forgo that all together. Last time I saw Maiden, they didn't have any amps at all.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
so what would fitz recommend? your advice is working wonders so far!

Amp with DI?

POD with backup amp?

or just DI?
I'm a bit of a drama queen when it comes to stuff like this, and I'd be nowhere without an amp. In my opinion, a stack is a thing you buy just once and you'll have forever. You might have to scrounge for a while, but once it's out of the way, it's out of the way for good.

I used my Fender Bassman combo as 'a giant DI box' according to the producer. We only mic'd it for distorted parts.

A POD with the backup amp seems to be the best advice, but can't you have your cake and eat it too? I mean since you'll be touring, will you really need some of your MIM Fenders, Crate amps and all 20 of your effects? *cough* *hock some gear so you can get an SVT6 and a POD and be a badass for life* *cough*
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Why doesn't your major label band have it's own PA and just use it everywhere?
Quote by Okonkole

Major label bands usually play venues that are equipped with good PAs.

I played at a venue with a something ridiculous like 5000W PA... oh good times!
Quote by Okonkole

Major label bands usually play venues that are equipped with good PAs.

I played at a venue with a something ridiculous like 5000W PA... oh good times!
Quote by mountaindew88
if I did get the POD, would it pay to have an amp just in case? Not every show will have the big-gun PA system. And even if I did buy an amp, my max limit would be $500 which is much less than the amp I'm chipping away at right now. At GC they sold my 3-PRO really fast, and because I haven't finished paying for the 6PRO they said if I wanted I could swap it out for anything I wanted (and pay/be payed the remainer of my tab).

Whaddya think?

You don't need an amp for the POD or to DI it.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by thefitz
Let's not forget here that the PODs have amp modellers. You won't be playing a pure DI signal (unless you want it set up that way) and I guarantee that the other bandmembers don't. I don't know of many DI's that model amps.

But pre-amp DI's do have their own preamp, so you would still be able to sculpt your tone. Of course, the POD has so much variety to choose from. But after owning a Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live with literally a gazillion different options and spending a month locked away toggling with it, I've come to appreciate the beautiful simiplicity of a preamp DI.

My train of thought is that a good quality pre-amp Di is the way to go. If you use a POD, you're most probably gonna be put through a DI. The reason I am using a DI nowadays is partly because one gig I used my POD through a dodgy DI box and the sound was awful. So I bought a DI, and no longer saw a use for my POD.

Maybe my one bad experience has skewed my perspective on the issue of pre-amp DI vs amp modelling. But I'd like to think that getting an Ampeg DI closer to the real thing than modelling it on a POD (as much I am a great POD fan).
Ok, here's three reasons why today was badass:

-- I ate homemade habenero salsa.
-- I saw a tornado for the first time, while driving through it in a torrential storm.
-- I grew some balls and paid for my Ampeg SVT-6PRO in full, and brought it home.

So yeah, now I just need some DI box or POD in the future.
Quote by mountaindew88
Ok, here's three reasons why today was badass:

-- I ate homemade habenero salsa.
-- I saw a tornado for the first time, while driving through it in a torrential storm.
-- I grew some balls and paid for my Ampeg SVT-6PRO in full, and brought it home.

So yeah, now I just need some DI box or POD in the future.

Your SVT6PRO has a DI out. Put it on the floor and you're set. You don't need to run it through cabs since it's solid state power amped.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Last time I saw Maiden, they didn't have any amps at all.

Do they just know the parts THAT well that they don't even have to hear themselves onstage? Jesus I feel small

But yeah I would get the DI box. Though I don't know much about these things...
Quote by IndianRockStar
Do they just know the parts THAT well that they don't even have to hear themselves onstage? Jesus I feel small

Dude, there are monitors on stage. The sound gets blasted towards them thru the monitors as opposed to behind them from amps.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Dude, there are monitors on stage. The sound gets blasted towards them thru the monitors as opposed to behind them from amps.

Okay I knew I had something wrong...thanks
Quote by thefitz
Your SVT6PRO has a DI out. Put it on the floor and you're set. You don't need to run it through cabs since it's solid state power amped.

Your SVT6PRO..... that sounds so nice. But yeah, thanks! I was actually thinking of making this giant rack full of **** and naming it Kevin Jr. and using that
Quote by IndianRockStar

And also if you see a large band with no amps OR monitors onstage then they're almost certainly using IEMs (In-ear-monitors). Makes the life of monitor engineers a lot easier since they don't have feedback to worry about.