Page 1 of 2
I don't make fun of people who are metally retarded. I have friends who do, though.

Have you ever been with some friends at school, and you or your friends, or just people you know that are around you, will see the mentally retarded people walking down the hall, and someone might say a joke? Usually they will say it behind their backs so that the people don't here them.

Well, I have been in a situation where a friend of mine might say a joke about a retarded person walking down the hall, and the retarded person doesn't seem to hear him.

I really hope you guys know what I'm talking about, or that any of you have been in this situation, because I have a few times before.

Anyways, this student who volunteers to help out at the special education class told me that at the end of some days, all of the special ed. students woul sit in a circle and talk. One of the things they talked the most about is all the people that were making fun of them and thought they couldn't hear them.

I think that often times people underestimate those with mental disorders, and I also think that those with mental illnesses are some of the most stereotyped and unfairly judged people on earth.

Anyways the question that defines the topic of this conversation:

Do you tend to unfairly labeled those that are mentally ill of have mental disorders?

I think we all can't help but do this. It's just that I rarely meet people with a good understanding of mental illness and mental disorders. I don't know if this is a subject that should be focused on more in school, but I think that if people like me (who know very little) learned more about these illnesses and disorders, our thoughts would be completely different on the matter. But I could easily be wrong.
Suprisingly to myself and others, I actually don't make fun of mentally challenged people. I volunteer at the special olympics a lot, so I have gotten to know a lot of the kids (and adults) pretty well. I honestly enjoy helping them out. If someone says something is retarded, like a class (you know what I mean), then its no big deal, but it is never cool to make fun of someone because of certain challenges that they have.
Quote by Reverb X
I think you should touch your penis. It solves all problems.

Quote by JimmyPageda2nd
My penis is not huge.

EDIT: If anyone sigs that, I'll beat their ass.

Member of the Nobody Club:We Don't Matter Enough To Have Titles. PM gunther_sucks to join
Quote by The Madcap
I don't make fun of people who are metally retarded. I have friends who do, though.

Have you ever been with some friends at school, and you or your friends, or just people you know that are around you, will see the mentally retarded people walking down the hall, and someone might say a joke? Usually they will say it behind their backs so that the people don't here them.

Well, I have been in a situation where a friend of mine might say a joke about a retarded person walking down the hall, and the retarded person doesn't seem to hear him.

I really hope you guys know what I'm talking about, or that any of you have been in this situation, because I have a few times before.

Anyways, this student who volunteers to help out at the special education class told me that at the end of some days, all of the special ed. students woul sit in a circle and talk. One of the things they talked the most about is all the people that were making fun of them and thought they couldn't hear them.

I think that often times people underestimate those with mental disorders, and I also think that those with mental illnesses are some of the most stereotyped and unfairly judged people on earth.

Anyways the question that defines the topic of this conversation:

Do you tend to unfairly labeled those that are mentally ill of have mental disorders?

I think we all can't help but do this. It's just that I rarely meet people with a good understanding of mental illness and mental disorders. I don't know if this is a subject that should be focused on more in school, but I think that if people like me (who know very little) learned more about these illnesses and disorders, our thoughts would be completely different on the matter. But I could easily be wrong.

People who do that piss me off. My stepbrother has autism. Not just Asperger's, he can't even talk, except for single words when he wants something. I love him to death, but it's really rough to live with sometimes.
<Han> I love Hitler
You're an ass if you make fun of anyone for being different. And it's funny how if you're friend (or anyone) were to be in that position, how much they would have regretted what they said. A quote from a book I read a long time ago. "Whenever you feel like criticizing someone, think about all the people in the world who haven't had the advantages you have."

When moments like these happen it really makes you think about what kind of a society we live in.
ugg, high schoolers were always terribly immature about things that are as serious as mental disabilities.

it frustrates me that people can be that insensitive.
Well, I have a similiar situation, but with old folks. I work as a server at a retirement home, and while the other servers snicker and laugh at the oldie's disabilities and illnesses, I laugh at them because someone will be laughing at them someday too.

Its wrong, but there will always be those ignorant people (bullies).
You gotta be a very dumb and immature individual if u make fun of mentally ill or disabled or deformed people. They r not mentally ill because they want to be that way. I feel sorry not for the mentally ill but for the idiots who think its funny.
It really bothers me how people can so blatantly mock mentally disabled people, as if they can help it that they're in that condition.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
I think you're completely right when you say that we don't understand mental illnesses, and as a result unfairly label those with disabilities; humans tend to ridicule that which they don't understand. I try to stay away even from referring to something I don't like as "retarded," out of respect, if nothing else. But a lot of people just don't seem to understand how well off they are.

Oh, and K-Lizzle, love the quote in your sig. Best album ever.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
i only have once, but it was an accident

we were at a park, about to head to a mates place, and because i always look around at everything i could see a girls face (because of the angle that's it) and she was near the gate.

30 minutes later we got back to the park and she was in the same spot but about 10 feet in front of the gate, i've gone to my mates "what the? 30 minutes ago she was at the gate and now she's only gotten that far?"

as we walked over the hill she had one of those walking helpers things and a caste on her.

my mates all thought i was a dick
Psychologically speaking, this happens for the same reason it happens to others. Those who suffer from mental retardation are stereotyped because of their handicapp. Similarly, other groups are stereotyped for various things (race, age, gender, etc.). The MR group is often seen as an easier target because "they are too dumb to get what is being said".

This is obviously not true, and a sad fact. It comes due to ignorance towards the disorder. A similar example I can give is clinical depression. Most people don't understand clinical depression and will tell that person to either "get over it" or "do something about it". They don't tend to understand the fact that it is a serious illness.
Honestly, i unfairly label everyone prior to meeting them...

I plea guilty to that, however, I would NEVER act on those judgements.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
I normally don't, but there's this one guy, I really have no idea whether or not he's retarded, but he pisses me off so much. He's just an asshole.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
I sometimes do I guess... I mean, calling my friends retarded and using mental illness as an insults is just as bad, in my opinion, as ridiculing people who actually suffer from it.
I don't make fun at people who are mentally challenged, but I should also stop using it as an insult
Honestly, I had found myself like most other immature middle schoolers, making fun of anything and everything more unfortuante than me. In the years between 7th and 11th grade, I've found that no one deserves abuse for things they can't control, such as any sort of physical/mental disability, diseases, and things like that.

Once you actually get to know people with mental disabilites, they stop being funny, and you find out that they're just people.
Nikolas
I definitely do not make fun of mentally handicapped people. Especially since my cousin had DS and has now passed away. I think its sad that people do that, and it makes them look stupid when they do. Its not their fault they were born like that.
My friends used to but haven't ever since 2 years ago this kid called my mentally challenged brother a fag and i kicked his as for it. It just pisses me off how ignorant people can be.
My Gear
Jackson RR5
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Marshall MG10 : Deaceased
Esp Ltd Ec-50
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop wah
Marshall Avt 50x
Everyone does it because people are classed into either mentally abnormal or mentally normal.

Fact of the matter is that everyone is abnormal, regardless of whether or not you have a DSM designation. Do you smoke? Abnormal. Drink coffee? Abnormal. Leave your car idling? Abnormal.

There is no "this person goes here" and people don't seem to understand that. Anyone with a mental disorder is simply a normal person whose abnormality is deviant. No one should ever make fun of people with mental disorders because they were either born with them or had some traumatic experience that caused the disorder. Even using "retarded" or "retard" is offensive unless referring to someone who fits the criteria for being mentally retarded. I'm guilty of it, too... but I'm trying hard to stop it.
this might seem strange but....no i dont. i try my best to not make fun of things that are out of people's control. it always bugs me when people make fun of them, because there human beings, and majority of them are really really nice polite people. if i were you, next time your friend makes fun of someone with a disability, quickly knock him unconcious, and while hes out cold give him a frontal labotomy. that way he can be retarded to.
actually, retarded kids are the nicest kids youll ever meet. i frown upon people who make fun of them (as well as gays, etc.) because they really are people too, just liek you.
Quote by Dimebag22
This might just be the smartest guy in The Pit. I didn't believe Ethan when he told me there were smart people in The Pit But I was wrong.

yeah, thats me

member 42 of the Iron Maiden are gods club. PM revelations to join
well think about it. just because they're mentally challenged doesn't mean they're challenged one bit emotionally. i mean usually the only thing that makes them classified as that is the inability to like learn certain things or act a certain way, but no one's ever been classified as mentally challenged because they had no feelings. so as far as teasing them goes, what the hell makes them any different than normal people? i for one don't really care; i either like or dislike them just like anyone else.
americans use the word retard all the time. it seems pretty harsh to anyone not american.
Quote by Mr_BTP
actually, retarded kids are the nicest kids youll ever meet. i frown upon people who make fun of them (as well as gays, etc.) because they really are people too, just liek you.

^^^Case in point

Have you met every young person with physical and/or mental disabilities in existance?
its ****ing frustrating as hell
i never do at all but reminds me of today when i did the most stupidest thing on accident

well i was off in my own world thinking about weird things like i always do while in pe. We were running and i was running next to my friend. Well as we were passing a mentally ill person, I said out loud, "YOU WANNA KNOW WHATS RETARDED?" and my friend started laughing and was all like "omfg youre so mean!" and I didnt get it till i turned around and saw some mentally challenged person looking at me. I felt ****ed bad because I was referring to what was in my head at the moment as retarded i didnt even see the person
Quote by The Madcap
The best answer I can give is that I try to fairly "label", well, everyone, although I do make mistakes sometimes of course. And the truth is when something about another person is abnormal, for better or for worse I'd say even most people are inclined to find humour. This probably has to be remedied and mediated, but I don't think it's in and of itself immoral.
Quote by Meths
Really, it's quite gutting that we'll all be dead by the time the earth is entirely underwater because I really want to stick your head underwater while standing on Everest and say "if sea levels aren't rising, HOW COME YOU'RE DYING?!"
Quote by Z_cup_boy
its ****ing frustrating as hell
i never do at all but reminds me of today when i did the most stupidest thing on accident

well i was off in my own world thinking about weird things like i always do while in pe. We were running and i was running next to my friend. Well as we were passing a mentally ill person, I said out loud, "YOU WANNA KNOW WHATS RETARDED?" and my friend started laughing and was all like "omfg youre so mean!" and I didnt get it till i turned around and saw some mentally challenged person looking at me. I felt ****ed bad because I was referring to what was in my head at the moment as retarded i didnt even see the person

Ow... bad timing

I myself hate people who pick on retarded people. I saw a lot of it in my previous school, but I was too much of a pussy to do anything about it since I would've just gotten in to trouble. One of these sickos actually psychically harrased one of them.. can you imagine that? So sad.
My little brother being autistic,no i would never make fun of someone who is less fortunate than me. Even if my little brother was not autistic, i would still not make fun of mentally challenged people. I do find it funny that my little brother gets made fun of by our neibors though, He could out smart all those kids that are in around 7th grade when hes only six years old. Of all things though when they make fun of him it just makes me so mad. If my parents didn't care i would beat the living crap out of those kids. BUt that would just put me down to their level.
Quote by ibanezed
americans use the word retard all the time. it seems pretty harsh to anyone not american.

"Mentally retarded" is the actual term designated to people with an IQ of under 70.

It's only offensive when not using it in that context.
I've never made a joke about someone with special needs. I'm quite surprised actually, but it's one of those subjects I don't really joke about.
I must admit though that occasionally as a joke I do wave in a retarded manner at people. Obviously I'm only messing with them and I only do it to my friends who wouldn't take it seriously.

I got told the other day that the people on the key skills course for people with special needs at college make the flapjacks that the college shop sells. I think it's really nice, they're very well made I must say. A couple of guys joked about not buying them again but I didn't say anything.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by Inimical
Even using "retarded" or "retard" is offensive unless referring to someone who fits the criteria for being mentally retarded. I'm guilty of it, too... but I'm trying hard to stop it.

I'll call someone retarded if say or do something stupid that annoys me. Just like how someone will use the term "ah gay" if something irritates them. I don't think it's anything to be offended by considering the intentions of using those words in the given situation are quite clear. It's just colloquial speech, and everybody's guilty of speaking in a non-PC manner.

I wouldn't stand for someone calling a mentally disabled person a "retard" though. Mind you, you'd have to be a secondary school kid to say such things, which is understandable considering most kids are ****ing stupid. And if you're still making fun of people with disabilities when you're past your teens, then really you're most likely an insecure prick.
Kisses and cuddles.
My gran's just out of hospital recently after suffering a severe stroke. As most of you know, a stroke affects the brain and causes a clot, causes paralysis and whatnot. When she was in hospital, she went through physio and things.

She's also forgotten most things, including family members. My brother and I can be anybody in her family from Wales and round about. She can't climb stairs either, so she has one of those toilets that look like a seat. It's frustrating trying to figure out what she's trying to say because what she says in her head makes sense so we have to be really patient with her.
Quote by el-ECTRO
You have the most awesome username ever. I am not worthy.

Timendi causa est nescire

Quote by SHANANDO
I'll call someone retarded if say or do something stupid that annoys me. Just like how someone will use the term "ah gay" if something irritates them. I don't think it's anything to be offended by considering the intentions of using those words in the given situation are quite clear. It's just colloquial speech, and everybody's guilty of speaking in a non-PC manner.

I wouldn't stand for someone calling a mentally disabled person a "retard" though. Mind you, you'd have to be a secondary school kid to say such things, which is understandable considering most kids are ****ing stupid. And if you're still making fun of people with disabilities when you're past your teens, then really you're most likely an insecure prick.

very good point
Although, I think when you're a teenager you should know better than to make jokes about mentally disable people.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by OddOneOut
very good point
Although, I think when you're a teenager you should know better than to make jokes about mentally disable people.

Teenagers are stupid though, and I think most adults give them way too much credit on being mature and grown up. I turned 19 recently, and I can tell you I was totally different when I was 14/15. People do mature, it's really past the age of 17/18 (upon leaving secondary school) that you start to tolerate your peers differences and not care about cliques and what's cool. Or maybe that was just me.

I just want to say there's a difference between a joke and flat out taking the piss out of someone. I don't think there's any fault in making a joke about the mentally disabled, just like there isn't in racist jokes, dead baby jokes, paedo jokes, etc. A joke's a joke, it's humour, hence that it's not meant to be taken seriously. However, as I said, I wouldn't stand for someone humiliating a person due to their disabilities, race or whatever just because of their shallow insecurities.
Kisses and cuddles.
Mental disorders fasinate me to no end.
If I end up doing anything other than music for a career it'll be something in psycology.
Quote by The Madcap

So because i listen to Megadeth and KSE i'm suddenly retarded?
Quote by darkstar2466

I love you.

Quote by rabidguitarist

Can I be your adopted parent? I'd love you like a real son.

"Arguing over the internet is like the special olympics. No matter who wins, your both still retards." - A man of many muffins
I don't at all, my stepmums sister has downs, and her boyfriend has aspergers, and I love them both to peices.

In fact..

Third out in the MOD contest '08.
To answer you question, yes, i have probably labelled people with a mental or physical disability unfairly and i probably still do as hard as i try not to, it's not intentional.

Last week, in my area, a teenager was jailed for it. A mentally and physically disabled women had fallen over on her doorstep and could not get up. She was calling for help and the teenager who actually lived on her street, instead of helping her, poured cold water on her, then put shaving foam on her and then unrinated on her, while it was being filmed by his friend. What could ever posess someone to do that i'll never know. Thankfully he was caught and is now in prison.

Bad analogy it may be, but i sometimes think of it as the scene in Sid's bedroom in Toy Story. All the disfigured toys that woody is frightened of at first, yet they are all good, kind people that help and only want to be treated fairly and normal by others as any human being should be.
Yet prejudice still remains today and as much as we don't want to accept it, prejudice will probably always be a part of our society.
Flirtini's all round!!
I'll be honest and say at times, yeah I have. When you work at the disabled scouts it sometimes just comes out (obviously afterwards, if it's been a particularly rough night), but they're all lovely children.
Originally posted by TestForEcho
Badreligionrock is the man.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.
my friends used to in 7th, 8th, you know when we were pre-teens. they dont anymore. idk call me a bad person or w/e but "special ed" or the mentally challenged, just creep me out and i cant stand being around them.
Page 1 of 2