is it typical to be sloppy when playing a song you've learned?

what i mean by that is, when you learn a piece and you have it memorized, rythym, timing, etc down. do you put less effort into fingering the frets?

i know when you finger the frets you're not supposed to be touching the other strings for obvious reasons. but after you 'learned' the song and know that you can get away with not being so disciplined about fretting. like you know you're not going to be playing any notes on any adjacent strings so you go ahead and let your finger thats fretting touch those strings. is that a normal thing to do or am i just being lazy?

ive only been playing for about a month out of alfreds basic guitar method1 and acknowledge that this sort of thing only applies to rifts and not chords.

second question is alfreds even a decent course to take? i'm teaching myself btw
i certainly do...

i guess it would be good practice to fret everything perfectly without touching the other strings, but i think that would make you take forever to learn stuff...

plus it helps mute the other strings and thus make big mistakes less severe...

but i'm just a noob
I always find that "Learning" the song is half the battle. After that youve still gotta practice it to get it clean and smooth
Unh, it's a really bad habit to play sloppily.

If possible try to exterminate all sloppy playing from your technique.

Until it takes more effort to play sloppily then it does to do it right.

Just take a look at Steve Vai's solo on the Crossroads movie.
About the only thing he can't do on guitar is pretend to suck.

And yes it is normal, although a really bad habit to get into.
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
you should NEVER play sloppily, even playing the song at 5x as slow perfectly is better than sloppily. Very bad habit
I don't about anyone else, but I'm just a sloppy player period

I don't know about what course you are taking mate, but I'd just get a list of songs you like and look up the tabs and try to play em. Wouldn't even bother with a program like what you are doing.
"Is that the fucking bible?"

"That's Holy Fucking Bible to you"
I agree with RICKONZ; although you may memorize a song, it may take days to get it down without playing it sloppily. My suggestion would be that you just keep practicing and practicing until you make fewer and fewer mistakes. Hope that helps ,

Guitar_Master19
maybe you learned it in a sloppy way, your muscle memory has it memorized in a sloppy way, you need to do everything slowly from the beggining you learn, the more you play sloppy, the more your muscles get used to sound like that
Chances are you haven't actually learned to play it quickly yet - find the speed at which you can play it accurately and gradually build up the speed. It might take weeks, it could even take months, but that's the only way to do it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
On the subject of sloppy playing, I've been playing bass for a couple months now, but one problem with my playing that I noticed early on and haven't been able to fix is that when I switch from playing on one string to another, the first string just keeps ringing (duh) and I haven't figured out a good way to stop it without significantly slowing me down or screwing me up. Any suggestions?
Quote by bassthunder
On the subject of sloppy playing, I've been playing bass for a couple months now, but one problem with my playing that I noticed early on and haven't been able to fix is that when I switch from playing on one string to another, the first string just keeps ringing (duh) and I haven't figured out a good way to stop it without significantly slowing me down or screwing me up. Any suggestions?

you have to mute it with either your left or right hand, in the beggining, it'll make your playing slower, but after some practice, it will turn nice and easy
Quote by bassthunder

Slow down your playing, and when playing from lower strings to higher, try using your right hand thumb and/or ring and pinky (depending on which angle your hand is at), to mute.

(Unless you pick, in which case I have no suggestions).