Ok its no big secret that many bands take other bands riffs and change it around a little and make there own songs out of it,but i just want to know what the people of UG thing about this..

I think its ok to do so,as long as its a small riff of a songs and you change it so its not exactly as the original song,it shows who influenced you in your playing and in a way shows respect to the artist who you were influenced by.But dont make a habbit of it and make every song a rip off from someone else riff..

Some songs known to be a rip off from other's

Fade to black-came from iron maidens children of the damned
Puddle of mud-she hates me came from the bass riff of Suicidal Tendencies i saw your mommy

Black label society sold my soul-metallicas welcome home sanitarium
I know alloy of BLS fans might not belive it so here
http://youtube.com/watch?v=h9VFrb8fNIs
Last edited by crzywhiteboy at Sep 25, 2007,
Quote by HawkaLuigi
Maybe not so much a rip off as an influence?

Yes, and George Lucas isn't an idiot, every mistake he makes can be explained by random Star Wars nerds who can randomly make **** up.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
RHCP - Dani California

=

Tom Petty - Last Dance for Mary Jane
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by Doodleface
RHCP - Dani California

=

Tom Petty - Last Dance for Mary Jane

i couldn't really tell the difference
and RHCP= better than tom petty
its basically impossible to create an original riff since guitar has been around for ages.

face it.
Call me Trey.
i cant really see the metallica : iron maiden connection, but ripping off music happens alot
If you say Randy Rhoads isn't amazing, I will hunt you down (Same for Marty Friedman)Founder of Rhoads/Friedman pm if you want in..
"guitarists have a thing, where their guitar is like an extension of their penis.." well said, ozzy
Quote by Mudvayne_LP
its basically impossible to create an original riff since guitar has been around for ages.

face it.

that is so true.every time i try to make something using a G,D,C chord together it always remind me of a song no matter what it is i play..
What about Papa Roach's ripoff of an Iron Maiden Riff.

No, it's a blatant ripoff. They just slowed it down a little.
Hey look, a stoner/doom album.

GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

E-father of TheSPillow/Sam
E-brothers with Entity0009
^ What song

Zeppelin owns ripping off people hahaha

Paradise city heavy riff is part of sabbath's zero the hero
Bodom has a good amount of rip offs.
Ex. Punch me I bleed from Panteras Hard Lines, Sunken Cheeks
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Yes, and George Lucas isn't an idiot, every mistake he makes can be explained by random Star Wars nerds who can randomly make **** up.

Greedo shot first.

I think unconsciously we will always rip someone, even if we think we are writing something completely new. No big deal, IMO.
Clever trick: Rip off riffs written for other instruments.
/evil
Hmmm 25 and 6 to 4's (Chicago) chord progression is used ad nauseum.

Babe im gonna leave u - led zeppelin

Brain stew - green day

There's definitely more out there.

Basically, assuming you have heard every piece of music out there, everything is a rip-off of something else. Or it is based off of something else.
sometimes its not intentional, and there's clearly a difference from "ripping someone off" and merely being influneced greatly by their style.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Part of both "Love Song" from Full Devil Jacket, and "Medicated" from downthesun are ripping off the opening riff of "Big God/Raped Souls" from Fear Factory.
Quote by Grimme
I know plenty believe me. I've seen both Avenged Sevenfold and Bullet For My Valentine live, so don't tell me I don't know my metal.

www.myspace.com/awkwardsilencemusic
I have had the pleasure of hearing both "Comfortably Numb" and "Technical Difficulties", TD happens to change to the exact same chord progression about mid way through and Paul Gilbert gives a take on his version of the Comfortably Numb solo. I enjoy both. But David Gilmour is #1...
Quote by JesusOfSbrbia
"Welcome to Paradise" by Green Day is roughly "Blitzkrieg Bop" by the Ramones played backwards..

EDIT: Although it may or may not be intentional, there's only a certain number of chord progressions that work for punk. Power chord riffs get recycled many times over, sometimes within the same band.

+1

Look at 90s Pop Punk.

I SWEAR they all use the same formula.

Intro- Loud, power chord harmonies.

Verse- Chunky, palm muted power chord (sometime palm muted harmonies)

Chorus- Same riff as intro, or another power chord harmony, maybe utilizing noted on the higher strings higher up on the neck.

Repeat verse riff.

Repeat chorus riff.

MAYBE add a bridge, which was usually another palm muted riff.

Repeat verse riff until end of song.

I've only come to realise this recently, though....
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by Mudvayne_LP

face it.

There are 120 odd frets on most fretboards so there are potentially billions of ways to play a riff (not including other techniques).

People just are not adventurous. Todays music is somewhat less plagurising than the mid 90s when everyone ripped Nirvana

Edit:-i never saw your post fallen angel...this is correct and was Nirvana who pioneered it (from the pixies)
Teen spirit happens to sound a lot like more than a feeling from boston , but kurt denied it saying he ripped it off from the pixies hahah!
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
Teen spirit happens to sound a lot like more than a feeling from boston , but kurt denied it saying he ripped it off from the pixies hahah!

No he didn't. When Kurt played the song live, he'd launch into More Than A Feeling on many occasions..
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
I think people should try and stay away from going and saying "I like this song, I'm going to warp it around and make it my own" but there always is that influence you get by anything you like so naturally, if you love band x, your songs will sounds like band x. Which is why i think bands need members with varying influences, so you get something new.

by the way - Finger Eleven's "Paralyzer" = Skid Row's "Youth Gone Wild" you can pretty much sing youth gone wild over paralyzer and it matches up.
Quote by Jack Off Jill

That is quite easily the most irrelevant response to a post I've heard in a while.
<Han> I love Hitler
I rip off stuff when i play, but only because its a really good freaking riff.