Ok, so i am prone to some weird kicks, and i learned a few years ago to just follow them.

I have decided to buy a bass guitar, no. I have never played on, or even read how to play one. But i am known for going backwards. So what i am looking for is something that wont break the bank, but will also still feel worth tuning back up if i forget to play it for a few years.

I learned wind and brass instruments young, mostly out of boredom at private school. Then i tooled around on my mother's 6-string electric rickenbacker. Never quite felt right, and i have wanted to try the bass for 7 years since. Now i have money, and a good job, and some free time. So why not.

As far as what i am looking for, something with more of a old school rock, or blues feel. Nothing metal or death rock. As far as price, i was hoping to pay no more then 400 for the guitar, i have an appropriate practice amp for a bass. Not that i want to spend every last penny, i'd also be willing to bump up for something substantially better.

p.s. A friend of a friend contacted me about a friend who has a bass for sale, weird circles i am in, i know. I'll get pictures and or a description up here tomorrow when i get it the email.
Just that pound it till your ears bleed, as loud as you can sound.

I'm looking for something to communicate with. The guitars i have played on have been rickenbakers and takimine accoustics.
Quote by Rebourne
What is this "Death Rock" you speak of?

i sigged that, thought it was hilarious, reminded me of yoda for some reason
Quote by Rebourne

Quote by revolutionplz
I will poop on your soul if you ever have the audacity to type those words towards me again.

Don't think I won't.
squier standard jazz bass or peavey millenium bxp. both cost about the same and will do the job just fine.

im guessing u mean 400 american, u may be able to find a used MIM fender jazz.

don't forget u need a bass amp too. guitar amps arent too friendly most of the time.
Hey, just a little follow up. Managed to finally find a store here in San Diego with some peavey's. I played around on some fenders nearby and they felt fine. But when i got my hands on a peavey zodiac, that felt perfect. So i'll be going back to try a millenium and milestone when they get them.

Thanks for the advice.
There are some samicks that are pretty good in that price range, but they're often rebranded. The one I used for quite some time was a fairly non-descript black thing with 24 frets, a P pickup at the neck and a J at the bridge, but it had a pretty comfortable neck and a workable tone without being too noisy... Stay away from the squires though.
How may The National D help you waste your time?
Zodiacs play much better than the Milestones, but they're both very similar. The Millenium is a whole different animal, so just because you like the Zodica doesn't mean you'll like the Millenium.

I'd say go ahead and get the Zodiac, I started on a Peavey Milestone and still use it as my back-up.
Quote by Rebourne

Death rock is an actual genre y'know.

from wikipedia:

Deathrock is a term used to identify a subgenre of punk rock and Goth which incorporates elements of horror and spooky atmospheres within a Goth-Punk style and first emerged most prominently in the West Coast of the United States and London during the late 1970s and early 1980s.[1]

The music of "modern" (post-1990) deathrock bands have a stronger post-punk influence than the earlier deathrock bands.[citation needed] Additionally, in the US, the term "deathrock" can be used as a synonym for first generation gothic rock.[citation needed] In the UK the terms were not interchangeable. Most of the early UK bands considered themselves to be punk, or goth, not deathrock -which at the time was an American based movement, though the term Batcave was and still is used by Europeans instead of, or along side Deathrock.[citation needed]
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
I would go with a fender mexican jazz or P bass.
But if you've played on the Peavey, and thought it felt perfect. Go for it.
Quote by paulmd82
Hey, just a little follow up. Managed to finally find a store here in San Diego with some peavey's. I played around on some fenders nearby and they felt fine. But when i got my hands on a peavey zodiac, that felt perfect. So i'll be going back to try a millenium and milestone when they get them.

Thanks for the advice.

Which is why everyone should just go to a store with a budget and try the **** out of every bass in their price range. Yes, you will find a bass that FEELS JUST RIGHT!!!

And welcome to the Bass forums, btw.
Id suggest a Squier Vintage modified Jazz Or Precision

But if you think you will stick with it go for a Fender MIM Jazz or Precision