Hey all

I was thinking about tuning down to drop C and was wondering if the open chords shapes I use will still be applicable in the new tuning. All that would happen is the drop down to semitones, so I would imagine they would still be moveable.

Anyone that downtunes use chords (besides power chords/5ths) have any advice on how to adjust?
Oppression, quiet and Repressed
Swept under the seams
the bed of the acquiesced
where we sleep, insomniac dreams
Just use a light guage 7 string set and throw away to top string. That's what i do. And just tune i like you normally would.
well, for example, if you play this

C--0--
A--1--
F--0---
C--2--
G--3--
C--0--

even though you're playing the shape of an open C chords, you're actually playing Bb/C, if you mute the 6th string, you'll get a Bb chord

so, in a few words, you can use the same shapes (except by G, E and F) but you'll get a different note (whole step down)
not really, youll be adjusting the fingerings. you can still use c, a, d, e if you invert and put the root on the bottom, b you can still use f unless you cheat and bare it in which case id tell you to just learn the open fingering for it. youll also pick up on a lot of new open chords that arnt really possible with standard
true... it would be nice to use interesting new open chords for drop C. Guess I'll have to figure out the chording myself once I drop tune it. I wouldn't have to get higher gauge strings if I drop tune I hope.
Oppression, quiet and Repressed
Swept under the seams
the bed of the acquiesced
where we sleep, insomniac dreams