I love the tone of the AC30. It's warm, versatile, and has both a great clean and fantastic dirty tone. However, I'm a student and can't afford a $1000 amp. Also, I prefer 1x12 amps.

Is there a good 1x12 tube amp that is much cheaper than the AC30 but can offer similar tones?

I'm looking at the AC15, but want to know if there are better or cheaper options.
Gruntled is a word
Check out the Laney VC15's. Where do you live?

What Corts do you own?
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by forsaknazrael
The AC15 is a by no means like the AC30. I was very disappointed with it.

i saw a thread where you can modify an ac15 to get closer to the ac30 tone... not sure where it is now but i'm sure if you seek you will find.
Quote by deadlydunc
i saw a thread where you can modify an ac15 to get closer to the ac30 tone... not sure where it is now but i'm sure if you seek you will find.

No point when you can get a perfectly good VC15/30 from Laney, IMO.
Quote by forsaknazrael
The AC15 is a by no means like the AC30. I was very disappointed with it.

+1

Much different sounding and distortion seems very fuzzy in comparison!
there is a AC30 thats got only 1 12 speaker its the AC30 CC1 and i dont no if ur talking about aus dollars or us but it shoudnt be that much esspecially the CC1
Definatly check out the Laney VC15/30R, they are voiced very simmilar to Vox's, and are alot cheaper.
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
Quote by synrbone147
now they are not the same. Hey, Should i get an american hss stratocaster?

Your first post and you hijack the thread

Of course the amps are not the same, but they do have a distinctly similar voicing, a warm vintage tone, etc.

And no to the HSS strat, it defeats the object of a strat tbh.
The Peavey Delta Blues does a decent AC30 impersonation for $650. It doesn't come in a 1x12 model, though. Either a 1x15, or 2x10. I prefer the 15" speaker. Definitely worth a look.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
OK. These are all great suggestions, and I'm very interested in a VC30 right now, however I'll throw out another amp just to shake things up a bit.

The Vox Valvetronix AD30VT was recommended to me. I'm a little skeptical because it seems to serve a primary purpose as a modeling amp, but I figured I'd check it out for the price, and since I have heard some glowing reviews of the AC30 tone.

Anyone here care to enlighten me a bit on that?
Gruntled is a word
if i were u, i'd definitely save up the $1000 and buy the AC30 at last. it's worth it. i'm doing the same with a fender blackface. so you should too.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by CortLegacy
Anyone here care to enlighten me a bit on that?

You will not be satisfied with the Vox Valvetronix AD30VT. At all. The VC30 and Delta Blues (depending on where you live) are much better suggestions. All tube amps that run on a set of EL84's; that's what you want.

And saving up for an AC30, and/or looking for a used one, isn't a bad idea. It's a great amp.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Laney VC30; if you want a 15w version with a 10" speaker then you can go with the VC15 and save a further £100.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by slatsmania
You will not be satisfied with the Vox Valvetronix AD30VT. At all. The VC30 and Delta Blues (depending on where you live) are much better suggestions. All tube amps that run on a set of EL84's; that's what you want.

And saving up for an AC30, and/or looking for a used one, isn't a bad idea. It's a great amp.

agreed. if you're in the UK, the vc30 is the obvious choice- half the price of the ac30, and nearly as nice. however, in the US, they aren't as attractive as they're UK-made, and hence dearer in the states. I haven't tried the delta blues, but if slats has recommended it as sounding like an ac30, I'm sure it does, he's normally on the money.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
look for an ac 30 1x12 they go pretty cheap but if not
I second the ceiratone
i don't know if the DC will be close to an ac
seeing as the DC is a matchless clone
but all his stuff is top quality
ps let him build you a cab it's cheaper and easier
^ The DC30 is an AC30, AFAIK. It will probably have some small differences, but you may like it more than the AC30 because of that.
I tried a AC30 today. Awesome cleans, great definition between notes.

I found it damn hard to use though (used to fenders) and found it very large and heavy compared to others of it's class.

I also felt the asking price of £700 is too much. It IS a great amp, just try out some others too.
Quote by ECistheBest
if i were u, i'd definitely save up the $1000 and buy the AC30 at last. it's worth it. i'm doing the same with a fender blackface. so you should too.

thats exactly what im doing....ac30...1 year to go

Quote by Dave_Mc
agreed. if you're in the UK, the vc30 is the obvious choice- half the price of the ac30, and nearly as nice. however, in the US, they aren't as attractive as they're UK-made, and hence dearer in the states. I haven't tried the delta blues, but if slats has recommended it as sounding like an ac30, I'm sure it does, he's normally on the money.

mhm...youre making me think again...

vc30...ac30...

**** it, im trying them both

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
good call. head-to-head, if possible.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have yet to find an AC 30 in a store anywhere, so I don't know how close the tone is, but my pod has an AC 30 amp model in it and when combined with the 2x12 class A cab sim it sounds incredible through my Vox DA 20 (2x8's). It's the one setting I don't change to much any more. My guitar has 2 Di'Marzio humbuckers and a fishman acoustic bridge pickup so that adds to the tone a bit. I've got some friends coming over tomorrow and between us we have about 50 guitars. Not sure what all they are going to bring (should be a few starts and tele's and washburns in the mix), but I'm going to put this Pod setup through its paces.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by Dave_Mc
good call. head-to-head, if possible.

i will man...hopefully tomorrow

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

let us know what you think!

I haven't tried the ac30 head to head with the vc30... i did try the vc15 head to head with the ac30, and i thought the ac30 was noticeably nicer, but i definitely did prefer the vc30 to the 15. plus the vc15 is like 1/3 the price of the ac30 (and is nicer than the ac15 if you ask me).

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^i think i thought the same...but i dunno im kinda confused

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

yeah, me too. the ac15 i tried was second hand, so it could have been jiggered, i guess. though a lot of people round here seem to agree that while they'd prefer an ac30 to a vc30, they'd prefer a vc15 (or indeed vc30) to an ac15.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^check the spam thread

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Actually I'd prefer a VC30 to an AC15, since hre they're the same price.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
oh, ok, will do!

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?