i was thinking of buying this guitar and throwing in some better pickups, but i dont know much about pickups, what do you suggest would be the best gibson pickup for playing a lot of hard rock/punk/metal. I want a real heavy sound
Have you thought about other brands besides Gibson? right now, the only ones I could think of would be the Dirtyfingers, and Burstbuckers.
o yea other brands are fine i just figured something along the line of whats in the gibson lp's but whatever works i guess

^^^^^^^^^^ what about the neck pickup?
Have you tried a Jackson DK2. Look at the reviews on here for guidance. They`re around the same price as the Epiphones and probably more suited to the heavy sound you`re looking for. The LP gives more of your classic rock sound; Think Led Zep or Free.
ive played some jacksons before, i like the lp better, just tryin to give it a little more beef, but still keeping it good for leads
If you're dead-set on Gibson, I'd suggest Dirty Fingers, Burstbuckers, or maybe '57 Classics. Other than that, I'm thinking SD Hot Rails.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
ive been doin some reading and im thinkin dirty fingers for the bridge, and a burstbucker for the neck, what do ya think eh? Can you mix pickups like that, they about the only thing i have no experience with
ok i thought i might add this, i ant to make my guitar sound like eighteen visions/him/autumn to ashes/atreyu stuff like that i know its kind of a mix but i also throw in some punk so knowing that, and knowing the lp i want to get, what p-ups should be going into it.
Where are you based? Don't go for American pickups if you're in England or something.

It helps if you put your location somewhere in your profile, even on the page here. Then we can help better, and it only takes 15 seconds.
^ Ok cheers.

In that case, you could look at Guitar Fetish pickups, which are apparently decent value for money in the US, or if you're willing to spend quite a bit more, definitely look at Fralin pickups. Again, I've yet to try any, but they are supposed to be very, very good.
What's your amp - depending on what you have the ideal pickup will be different, if your amp is crap then it's not worth bothering at all.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If you really need to get new pups (^see amp advice above^) then why does it have to be gibson PUPS?

IMO there are plenty of better PUPS for a similar price, gibson's PUPS are good, but your paying for the name.
Quote by steven seagull
What's your amp - depending on what you have the ideal pickup will be different, if your amp is crap then it's not worth bothering at all.

Ah crap, I missed rule 2 of protocol 5
im borrowing an amp right now, im going to be buying one though, not sure what kind yet probably a marshall. ive been playing for years but never had a legit setup so im just kinda gettin there now.
I might try an EMG 81 in the bridge, and EMG 60 in the neck, got a 60 in the neck my my guitar, and it sounds nice and warm
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
yeah I don't know what you play but when you play metal you want alot of attack and when it sounds a bit fuzzy you will never get that attack.
the amp i currently have is a peavey bandit 112, but like i said im going to be getting a new one.
what do the emg sound like? give me some examples of all these pickups if you can.
EMG's aren't all that great through solid state amps, however I've got to admit that I did notice an improvement through my old Bandit when I swapped pickups. Your best bets are probablyDuncans, either a Custom in the bridge and a 59 in the neck, or a Distortion in the bridge with a Jazz in the neck. It just depends on the kind of tone you want - "heavy" doesn't really mean anything.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
+1 to everything that Mark has said.

You might as well be saving up for the amp first.

You also might wanna check out www.highorderpickups.com. Custom-made pickups that are cheaper than Gibson's pickups...
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Why not just cut out the middle man and get an Epiphone Joe Perry LP? Awesome finish, true Mahogany with Maple top body, and has the same Burstbuckers as used in Gibson LP Standards. It should sound nigh on pretty much exactly the same as a Gibson LP Standard with those pickups and that wood.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.