Hi, I kind of bowed my neck a little bit changing strings 2 weeks ago and I've taken it to get checked (Don't ask why I didn't get it fixed at the time) and they said it was just a slight truss rod adjustment and they could fix it pretty easily.
It's been 2 weeks since then and my mum hasn't had the time to drive me to the music shop (40 minute drive) to get it fixed yet. Will the bow/damage get worse over time? I'm not talking long periods, just a few weeks, Thanks.
I get an unbearable amount of fret buzz, There is no sustain and the tone is generally terrible.
Thats what happens with 9's and a poorly set up guitar.
Current Gear
Ibanez RG1570 - Going bye bye
Jackson DK2 - Eventually will be replaced with Maton Mastersound
Peavey valveking 212
Various EHX and Boss effects
It's an LTD Viper 200FM and I've only had it about 9 months.
Can anyone actually answer my question of whether the neck will get worse if it's not repaired soon? Or has already started getting worse? I'm probaly just paranoid but I want to make sure.
lol, your neck is fine.
Current Gear
Ibanez RG1570 - Going bye bye
Jackson DK2 - Eventually will be replaced with Maton Mastersound
Peavey valveking 212
Various EHX and Boss effects
What tuning are you at? 9s have less tension so would flap about a lot. That small a change isn't grounds for a full setup unless your neck is pre-buggered.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
It was fine before I changed the strings, afterwards I got unbearable fret buzz and the sound was overall terrible.
After the 9's sounded terrible, I changed back to the 10's I had on previously an hour later. I'm not getting a full set-up, just a few adjustments which they said they will do for free.
Quote by noturningback
It was fine before I changed the strings, afterwards I got unbearable fret buzz and the sound was overall terrible.
After the 9's sounded terrible, I changed back to the 10's I had on previously an hour later. I'm not getting a full set-up, just a few adjustments which they said they will do for free.

I think its because your used to 10s. 9s are skinnier so they will vibrate more and if your action is low enough it will hit the frets. Also 9s never sound as good as 10s IMO
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
When I put the 10's back on they were just as bad as the 9's were.
When I took it to the guitar shop they said it needed some adjustments.
with strings of a lighter gauge in the same tuning, the tension will be less.. so the the neck has less resistance and will move back.. this will cause the relief to be less and more buzzing will occur. to get it back to its original position, you would neck to lessen the tension on the truss rod to compensate for the strings lack of tension. you could also try to raise the action ever so slightly.. try to make your adjustments small.. less than quarter turns, since your strings gauge change was fairly insignificant.

check your intonation after all that too just to be sure
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Kivarenn82
with strings of a lighter gauge in the same tuning, the tension will be less.. so the the neck has less resistance and will move back.. this will cause the relief to be less and more buzzing will occur. to get it back to its original position, you would neck to lessen the tension on the truss rod to compensate for the strings lack of tension. you could also try to raise the action ever so slightly.. try to make your adjustments small.. less than quarter turns, since your strings gauge change was fairly insignificant.

check your intonation after all that too just to be sure

I understand that but the problem continued even after I put the 10's back on, I also tuned the strings up a few tones to increase tension yet the problem still occurred.
It's not getting it adjusted or anything thats the problem, it's whether the problem worsens over time.
Since the neck seemed to respond a little more radically than usual to the string change I would think it may be alright for a couple more weeks. It depends on the construction (wood, truss-rod, specs) of the neck. I would get it done ASAP, but its not an emergency.
strangeness, has it been exposed to any extreme conditions such as heat, cold humid or dryness?

either way, it may take a bit for the neck to settle back in. you can speed up the process thru fine tuning the adjustments. i'm personally surprised that would happen so drastically considering i had very little to change when i went from 13-56 to 11-52.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by uldhppi
Since the neck seemed to respond a little more radically than usual to the string change I would think it may be alright for a couple more weeks. It depends on the construction (wood, truss-rod, specs) of the neck. I would get it done ASAP, but its not an emergency.

It's a mahogany neck/rosewood fingerboard.
It hasn't been exposed to any extreme conditions though, I don't think I will touch any of the adjustments though. I'll get it fixed at the guitar shop and let it settle back in on its own. Thanks for the help.