Hey all,
I'm just looking out to expand my theory knowledge. As is the case always.

Now, I'm fluent with every mode of Ionian; and Harmonic & Melodic Minor.

All those.

I also know:

The Diminished (W/H & H/W) and Whole Tone.

And obviously the Pentatonics, and Blues.

Now, because I know I'm missing plenty, can you name them, and if possible, give the formula, and, although this is heaps to ask, a little background into them, describe them, how they sound to you, etc.

Thanks a lot guys,

Cheers -
Daisy
Gore AND Core; unite!
Last edited by Daisy_Ramirez_ at Sep 25, 2007,
Yeah, I did mean that.
I'm sorry, I should've clarified. *Shy*

I've looked at Scale Boxes, but they annoy me, they have like 60 scales, a lot of which are pointless.

And form what I've seen, they can have up to 5 of the same scale with different names.

so I'd rather people with experience, namely the MT frequents, like John|Jones, and DemonOftheNight and such.

But anyone really, just not programs!!

Thanks a lot for your contribution though!!!!

Cheers -
Daisy
Gore AND Core; unite!
If you have Guitar Pro, there's a scale finder that shows you tons of different scales like the Be-Bop scale, Augmented, Augmented 5th, etc.
Do you know the:

Eight Tone Spanish?
1,b2,#2,3,4,b5,b6,b7

Spanish Gypsy, aka Phrygian Dominant?
1,b2,3,4,5,b6,b7

Kumoi?
1,2,b3,5,6

Lydian #2?
1,#2,3,#4,5,6,7

Byzantine, aka Double Harmonic?
1,b2,3,4,5,b6,7
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Last edited by sTx at Sep 25, 2007,
I really like the Byzantine, I'm looking for more of that sort of thing.

Octotonic scales, and ones that are good!

Kumoi is cool, but it's a pentatonic. It's kinda limiting.

But thanks a lot man, anybody got more???

Cheers -
Daisy
Gore AND Core; unite!
Phygian Dominant is a good one actually Id learn that, at least in one position if you positions or if you use notes then its even easier.

What kind of music do you want to play? TBH once you know all of those scales you will be able to play anything, theres no more needed to play. Any extra scales are just the icing on the cake. If you like jazz maybe the be bop scale?
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

yeah, for the TS. start writing out your own scales,i started doing this after i began noticing the relationship between notes in different scales (and really alot of what i do is just melding 2 scales together)

ex:

1, b2, b3, b4, 4, 5, b6, b7

in E this would be

E, F, G, Ab, A, B, C, D
do you know the pentatonic modes and the blues scale modes?, or if you are even more interested in different sounds you could always modalise the enigmatic scale, and the scales mentioned above.
^ yeah, minor scale and variants are my faves and i wouldn't say i'm totally fluent with them even after having played for about 13 years now. don't get me wrong, i'm pretty good and know'em really well. but i wouldn't go so far as to say i'm entirely fluent (which to me equates out to be mastery)
Thanks so much guys.

When I said "fluent", I did not mean that I had mastered them, simply that I know them well, know the intervals, etc.

In other words, I can't really learn more about them theoretically, just playing with them, and learning how the intervals co-relate, etc.

Hope that made sense! *shy*

Cheers -
Gore AND Core; unite!