Page 1 of 5
are hardcore punk bands like misfits, dead kennedys, bad brains counted as punk rock or hardcore? i thought hardcore had all the breakdowns and stuff and the documentary, American Hardcore really confused me
there are many blurry lines.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
I would like to know how hardcore punk mutated into "hardcore." If someone could explain, that would be great.
Bands shat on it as time went by and older bands shrivled down to nothing, like Black Flag.. or the Misfits.

Looks like you've seen the truth now recklessnick. But can you handle it?
the way i figure, bands like JFA, Dead Kennedys, Verbal abuse, andsocial distortion are considered punk rock. But as far as what today people be callin hardcore, thats pretty weird on labeling. Like theres the boston and ny hardcore and than there's D.C. Its weird. I figure bands like gorrilla biscuits (they suck and thats that), Agnostic Front, and Negative approach.

But thats by my standards and everyone has a different view so its weird trying to get to aggrements.
IIIIIIIIIIIIIII ain’t got no respect!
For people that are politically correct
The bands you listed I personally think of as punk. I just usally call most of that kind of stuff 80's hardcore punk.
The 80's hardcore was the first. American Hardcore had that all right. But what is now considered hardcore, is nothing alike, and most of all it sucks.
brnh.bandcamp.com
no its like my local scene. everything a band plays something like a hatebreed breakdown. and people will start shouting "HARDCORE! HARDCORE!" and start a pit with people swinging arms like crazy. i didnt know that was hardcore
Quote by recklessnick
no its like my local scene. everything a band plays something like a hatebreed breakdown. and people will start shouting "HARDCORE! HARDCORE!" and start a pit with people swinging arms like crazy. i didnt know that was hardcore

Unfortuneatly that kind of stuff is what's considered hardcore today. I have a scence like that near me. I hate it everybody walks around in NJ hardcore shirts and thinks they're the ****.
yeaaaaasssss, they do.
pple told me once it was called moshcore. but moshcore just sounded very dumb and its a subgenres. i dun believe in sub genres
Quote by werty22
I would like to know how hardcore punk mutated into "hardcore." If someone could explain, that would be great.

Basically, in 1980, a guy called darby Crash ruined punk.

And that's it.

That, was it.

T'was difficult times for the children of Ipswich when accursed with the lollipop famine.

PS.) Hardcore.... Hardcore.... Brains.... Hardcore..... Mwaaaggghhh.... Hardcore.... Gangbang

Zombys!
Quote by werty22

Some bands like Agnostic Front or Sick of it all developed the old hc-style and combined it with metal.....Nowadays some bands call themselves hardcore, even though they have not so much in common with Black Flag or SSD, but rather with Hatebreed, which is metalcore
Quote by recklessnick

dude

hatebreed isnt hardcore

that hardcore dancing **** is pretty damn funny looking though
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Quote by recklessnick

Thats funny. I remember like 5 years ago back when I was in high school every band did that. Bands really still do that? With the same break downs every song? Man that was hilarious.

And how did Darby Crash ruin punk I missed the point of that.
singer of The Germs, I believe.
Think he died of a drug overdose or suicide?
Super Leeds and Classy Cas!
Quote by GreenDayChris
singer of The Germs, I believe.
Think he died of a drug overdose or suicide?

Suicide by intentional overdose.

And don't worry about BrianApocalypse you guys, he just hates hardcore. Darby didn't ruin ****. We all know who it really was that killed punk...

*points finger at BrianApocalypse*
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Basically, in 1980, a guy called Darby Crash ruined punk.

And that's it.

That, was it.

Absolutely true and summed up very nicely.

Someday, Darby will pay for ruining punk and for his greater crime: unleashing Belinda Carlisle on an unsuspecting public.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
yeah, i'll go to his grave and eat his bones. that'll show him.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
Quote by misfitsdisciple
yeah, i'll go to his grave and eat his bones. that'll show him.

Bon Appetit !

Please do it, before some kind of Night Of The Living Dead scenario occurs and his corpse starts walking the Earth, devouring punks with brains.

Hardcore folk are safe, as they are brainless.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

Quote by johnnynemo
Absolutely true and summed up very nicely.

Someday, Darby will pay for ruining punk and for his greater crime: unleashing Belinda Carlisle on an unsuspecting public.

Someone explain.

I keep seeing a lot of people bashing some great punk artists such as Joe Strummer, Darby Crash and claiming they ruined a genre or are fake but no one can explain themselves. So once again, please elaborate ...

You ever know Darby Crash Johnny? Just curious..
hmm i would say that hardcore punk is probablyyy something like the backstreet boys or maybe britney spears...if u really wanna get into it u should give a listen to N*sync they knew how to rock a show back when they were together
Helllll ya
Quote by neidnarb11890
I like The Germs

same here, and I'm gonna keep liking them
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
I only like Lexicon Devil, thats pretty much it
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by yeahyeah
same here, and I'm gonna keep liking them

Yeah, I'm not going to stop liking the Germs because people bash Darby.
You punx and your liking bands no matter what *-)
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Drink
Someone explain.

I keep seeing a lot of people bashing some great punk artists such as Joe Strummer, Darby Crash and claiming they ruined a genre or are fake but no one can explain themselves. So once again, please elaborate ...

You ever know Darby Crash Johnny? Just curious..

Though I never knew Darby, I do know friends of his and I have spoken to Don Bolles.

Let's see what Alice Bag has to say about Darby...

http://alicebag.blogspot.com/2004_10_01_archive.html

I met Bobby Pyn (later to become Darby Crash) early on. We became friends and used to talk on the phone. We were both very much interested in philosophy and ethics and would often have heated discussions. Darby was into Nietzsche and I liked Kant, so of course we clashed. But at first we got along more than we fought. We were drinking buddies and were both known for our stage antics. Between the Bags and the Germs, we probably had the wildest audiences of the scene and we did several shows together. As Darby submerged deeper and deeper into his persona of “Darby Crash”, he and I began to grow apart. My observation was that he began to have less real friends and instead surrounded himself with fans and followers whom he could use and control. I totally disagreed with this and we got into an epic fight over the “proper role of fans” one drunken night. Darby thought that people who could be controlled, should be controlled and he disliked the way I treated Bags' audience members as equals. I wanted to erase the line between performer and audience and Darby saw his role as an artist being closer to that of an idol.

In the last part of his life, I can only recall one person having the guts to stand up to him and tell him to his face “No Darby, you’re wrong” and that was Nicole Panter. I have to say that when I heard the news of Darby’s fatal overdose, I was saddened but really not surprised. It’s always hard to lose a friend.

Scrape away all the BS surrounding his "legend" and what was Darby really?

A junkie and Nazi/fascist fetishist who purposelly acted like he was stupid, ripped off his friends, got strung out on heroin, destroyed other bands' instruments and equipments and incited violent fights and riots. Over the course of several years, the Germs were systematically banned from every venue in Los Angeles, due to Crash’s behavior.

I find it amusing that many people will vilify Sid Vicious for doing many of these same things and call it "un-punk behavior", but love Darby for it.
Double standard much?

If you read Get In The Van by Henry Rollins, Hank describes how the Orange County hardcore kids, who were heavily influenced by the Germs "F*ck Sh*t Up!" attitude, took great pride in being brainless, violent thugs.

This review sums up what happened rather well.

http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/historyrocknroll.php

As the audiences began to devolve, the punk movement sort of dissolved when the safety of the bands started to be threatened. The anger that began the punk movement also killed it, or at least sent it into hibernation....

And everything went along just great until, at some point, the audiences went from being relatively intelligent, understanding and interesting people to…scary young people that liked to spit at the bands a lot who wielded chains and beat up people who had long hair. - Exene Cervenka

On the video, she goes on to say "It became a war between the punks and the new "hardcore" people, who were into bands like Fear and The Germs

Jello sums it up rather nicely in the song Nazi Punks, F*ck Off (which is about more than just actual Nazis)

Punk ain't no religious cult
Punk means thinking for yourself
You ain't hardcore cos you spike your hair
When a jock still lives inside your head

If you've come to fight, get outa here
You ain't no better than the bouncers

We ain't trying to be police
When you ape the cops it ain't anarchy

Ten guys jump one, what a man
You fight each other, the police state wins
Stab your backs when you trash our halls

Trash a bank if you've got real balls

And if none of this makes you think twice about Darby, remember that Darby introduced this to the music industry and world....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDcC9bnRciQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zvDmLnBgTs
Quote by sargasm

stereotypical that all hardcore kids are brainless... i sure as **** have a brain, but i listen to the music, i go to the shows, i play the music. Hardcore isnt just about beating the crap outta something or someone, its about raw energy, focused into the pit.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
WHen you say hardcore punk, I think of Minor Threat, not the Misfits. And today's "hardcore" and the 1980's hardcore punk movement are two VERY different things.
Quote by GreenDayChris
I drink, and say oi occasionally. but I can't get laid to save my life.

Quote by Symphonic_Chaos
MX4Life you fucking godhaha
Thank god for Nemo.

I have a confession, I actually like those Belinda Carlisle videos.

Probably just a sign to stop getting doped up on biftas, huh?
Quote by misfitsdisciple
stereotypical that all hardcore kids are brainless... i sure as **** have a brain, but i listen to the music, i go to the shows, i play the music. Hardcore isnt just about beating the crap outta something or someone, its about raw energy, focused into the pit.

Thank you proving my point that hardcore people are stupid.

The statement "Hardcore isn't JUST about beating the crap out of people", indicates that hardcore IS about beating the crap out of people, BUT there's more to it.
That "more" is "raw energy, focusing into the pit", whatever the f*ck that means.

Do you have any idea how fugging stupid that sounds?

How do you focus this "raw energy"?
Do you use lenses?

Can this "raw energy" be used as an alternative fuel?
Or is it just used by Neanderthal dumba$$es to kickbox and "mosh" each other further down the evolutionary ladder.
Quote by sargasm

i personally enjoy the **** out of Black Flag, obviously cause i fellate Ginn and Rollins at every chance i get.

but i know what nemos saying about alot of hardcore kids being dumb, cause they are, they just beat this **** ouut of eachother and thinks its ****ing cool.

also, i constantlly tell people metalcore bands arent hardcore cause it just annoys me.

blech. i like BF, hate hardcore kids. Honestly, i think the bands that tried to be hardcore are the ones that ruined it all, hell BF tried to be less hardcore, you listen to their later stuff its like ****ing Sabbath.

and no-one can diss sabbath.
The only hardcore I like is the stuff thats different like Husker Du and The Minutemen. If that's hardcore at all.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

The Germs are decent on record, but it's repetitive and moronic. Darby bothers me on the albums and I've long wondered whether his idiocy earned him more detractors than admirers.
Quote by johnnynemo
Thank you proving my point that hardcore people are stupid.

The statement "Hardcore isn't JUST about beating the crap out of people", indicates that hardcore IS about beating the crap out of people, BUT there's more to it.
That "more" is "raw energy, focusing into the pit", whatever the f*ck that means.

Do you have any idea how fugging stupid that sounds?

How do you focus this "raw energy"?
Do you use lenses?

Can this "raw energy" be used as an alternative fuel?
Or is it just used by Neanderthal dumba$$es to kickbox and "mosh" each other further down the evolutionary ladder.

oh **** Johnny nemo bringing the ****ing hammer down on hardcore, **** yourself. just because you are an old **** who probably is crippled from being at shows isnt my fault you asshole. I dont fight, only thing that i do is go to shows and mosh, fighting might have been more of a problem earlier, but whenever a fight goes down, it definitely doesn't have anything to do with music. It is usually caused by some ass who thinks they are so much better than everyone else, then has to project it over everyone until the people just get fed up.

main summary: **** off you piece of ****.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
Page 1 of 5