the first 2 are the same i believe... but anyways. the sm57 is a recording standard. most anyone who records anything has one if not a bunch. they sound pretty damn nice too.
The unfortunate thing is that electric guitar is very different to acoustic and voice. The 57 will do electric guitar awesomely, but will let you down heavily on acoustic and voice. The 58 will do voice to an acceptable level (it's essentially a live mic, not the clearest or airiest sound) but will struggle with guitars of all sorts.

Acoustic guitars and vox really need a large diaphragm condenser to do the instrument justice and unfortunately, a good large diaphragm condenser is bloody expensive.

Personally, I'd go for one of the 57s because you can stick them on anything and get a passable result, but don't expect any nice open top end or real presence with vocals or acoustic.

P.S. I'm an audio engineer so my taste in microphones is bloody picky, I use 57s a lot for snare drums/toms and guitar cabs, but they're just too clunky and not nearly subtle enough for acoustics and voice. SM58s are not the way to go if you're recording. They're intended as a live mic and don't really hold up under the spotlight of recording.
SM57's are better for recording instruments, they're also good for recording vocals, SM58's are more for just vocals and live shows.

they are all fine microphones, simple and easy to use, and for around that price probably the best...

I'm not sure here, so i apologize if I'm wrong, but I think the 2 sm57 models you've got there are the same, only from different sources on amazon.

The sm57 and sm58 are very similar, in construction they're almost identical.
The difference lies in the sm58, it has a built-in "Bass Roll-Off" which as the name suggests; removes very prominant low bass frequencies. The purpose of this is to get rid of "Proximity Effect" which is when a singer has a microphone too close to their mouth, and when singing or speaking the sound captured is dominated by bass. This is great when used for vocals, but when recording guitar amps for instance can give a bit of a thin sound. Also the sm58 has a pop sheild/wind guard/watever u wanna call it which stops the microphone from picking up the singers breath as "ffffss". All in all the sm58 is a great live microphone for vocals, very robust and with the built in bass roll off very easy to operate but more suited in a live setting.


however my recommendation would be to get the sm57, and a make a pop shield ( pair of stockings/tights and a bendable coat hanger or embroidery circle ) and just be careful not too place it too close to the sound source.

lemme know if you have any other sound engineering type questions
Last edited by Calum Margey at Sep 25, 2007,
go buy yourself a audio technica at4040

you can get em off ebay for about 250 bucks these days... thats US

or buy an ADK Vienna or

MXL 2003 (those 3 are all in the under 300 price range but theyre damn good mics for what you pay, the audio technica mic has a more neurtal sound that the mxl and adk mics as they add some colouration (their own feel) which isnt necesarily bad )

if you have the budget go buy an akg c414

Rode NTK's are pretty good too.

btw theyre all large diaphagm mics and you can basically use them for whatever the hell you want. and i keep forgetting things, get a pop filter for any large diaphragm mic you get when using for vocals. They all come with shockmounts stock anyway.
Last edited by doommaker at Sep 25, 2007,
actually, an alternate recomendation...

I use an SE 2200A


along with a pop sheild ( large diaphram condenser microphones like this NEED a pop sheild if you're recording vocals ) this microphone is fantastic, search for chrisjohnstonmusic on google, his myspace has some roughish recordings we've done, everything recorded with that microphone, my MacBook Pro and ProTools

and at £139 from GAK.co.uk , you can't argue with that
and a side note... search in google : <mic model> review harmony

and look for reviews on harmony central coz theyre all user review things and are generally pretty comprehensive
thank you everyone, i think i am going to get the shure sm57. looking at the amazon link for this microphone does it come with a lead for the microphone and will it fit into my computer, if not where do i get the lead from.
Quote by doommaker

if you have the budget go buy an akg c414

So should everyone - but they are very pricy for a pair (you're talking around $1000) and thus I don't even have them.
Quote by doommaker

Rode NTK's are pretty good too.

I personally don't like NTK's much. I find them brittle and just not worth the price. The K2's are MUCH better imo, and even the NT2a are amazing mics for the price point. Anyways, I think all this stuff is way out of the TS's budget.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Generally you can't just plug a microphone into a computer.

Your computer probably doesn't have an XLR connection unless you have a pretty dang decent after-market sound card, this is the industry standard connection for microphones.

You have a few options, you could get a XLR -> Jack cable, which is a simple way of converting the XLR connection into a jack which should go into your computer ( you'll probably need a 1/4" jack to 1/8" jack adapter ) HOWEVER this will potentially create a minefield of problems, XLR connections and cables cleverly remove nearly any interference that can be picked up from as much as an electrical wire in the wall.

What I would recommend is to get an "Audio Interface" which will provide the needed connections, as well as a dedicated pre-amp and controls to properly manage your input.

M-Audio is a good brand, you can pick em up from SoundControl or Apple Store's nationwide!

Pop yourself onto wikipedia and search for XLR and any other audio terms thrown about here, it's a great resource.

May I ask what setup you have?

computer specs, recording program, etc etc?
I dont have a setup at the moment I have windows xp and i am going to be using audacity if thats any good for recording. I was wondering if i can buy the shure sm57 in a package from a website with the microphone, cable and i think its a minijack to connect it to the computer or with the connector you said. Do you know any trusted websites that sell them as a package?
Holden McGroin ,
the 57 would sound a bit flat for vocals,
58 would be great for voice ...
maybe you can get both of them used for the price of one (that's what i did)
I reckon you'd be better getting 2 mics;a dynamic and a condenser. Acoustic instruments and vocals need a completely different set up to more dynamic instruments such as electric guitar and drums.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
The Shure SM57A Beta is actually quite good for acoustic guitar, and because it has a pop shield, it can do vocals OK.

So you know, I'd recommend that.