i've been playing for 4 years now, and lately I've been wanting to get into faster and more technically demanding music. Hence metal!!! yay however i just found out i hold my pick the unrecomended way according to this vid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqPZjlpau4c

And this is why i'm probably getting tired and strained faster when I attempt some faster picking song. And now I'm pissed. I've just noticed that a lot of people hold there pick the recomended way, and I never noticed lol. so now, I feel like i have to learn guitar all over again. How long will it take me to get used to holding the pick this way?

-thanks
-I'm not sure but it shouldn't take long.
You are currently reading my sig.

"Ah yeah, ah yeah, ah, ah, ah. Ah yeah, ah yeah, ah, ah, ah." - Robert Plant
If you really get your head down and practice with it, I would say a couple of weeks at most.

Loads of the kids I teach start off holding their pick the 'wrong' way. I personally hold it the 'right' way and you are right when you say you can get tired and sore playing fast stuff.

But don't get disheartened and you'll be OK in no time.
it should not take long at all, just as soon as you start using your own technique, quickly switch back, i used to be the same, and remember, persistence is the key.
Quote by Tiksi
people who think that the tuning peg things have to be straight. I went to the bathroom once, I come back, and my friend detunified my guitar, and then asked why it sounded weird. ARGG!!!

mcROFL
I had the same problem, and I'm playing for about two years so I felt that I've wasted that time...but I've learnt how to hold the pick in about week or two, it feels awkward at first but you'll quickly get used to it.
sweet, ive done it right all along and i completely taught myself everything from scratch. sorry bout your problems dude.
pretty much everything on the internet written about how to hold pick says to hold it the way that guys say in the video.