Well what is it?
Is there more than one answer?

Like is it all about technique?
All about being able to compose?
All being speedy and completley clean?
Not conforming to scales or patterns?
Creating beautiful music, even if its slow and easy?

This question for me, was raised after watching the G3 tour with malmsteen. Dont get me wrong, i like malmsteen. But vai seems to have a lot more soul in his playing. Where do you draw the line between soul and teachnique?

Whats some good advice to not end up like malmsteen, as much as i like his playing, i do seem to fid he reapets a lot of the same patterns.
guitar is about doing what you want, not giving a **** about what anyone else thinks, and if they like it it, great, otherwise, its you playing, not them
Quote by its_alive
Lighten up.

The Pit>Professionals

Quote by meh!
Wow, the rape wagon. The wagon sounds like the best wagon in town
Quote by Galvanise69
Whats some good advice to not end up like malmsteen, as much as i like his playing, i do seem to fid he reapets a lot of the same patterns.

He does repeat a lot of the same types of patterns, motifs or devices from Bach, or phrases from Mozart, but how many times have you heard someone play the blues or rock, and bend up the 4th to the b5, back down to the 4th, pull off to the minor 3rd, and down to the tonic? Some blues guitarists I hear are really boring, as they're just recycling 50-year-old licks. And Malmsteen's material is based on music that is several hundred years old! So you can hardly blame him for repeating himself.
What is guitar really about?

Two words:

Making music.

That's it, the rest is just commentary. Fast, slow, funk, blues, jazz, rock, metal, zydeco, acoustic, electric slide, classical...it's all about making music. If you're too technical you lose focuss, you won't have that soul you talked about Vai having. I'd rather listen to Clapton play, or John Mayer or David Gilmour any time than someone like Malmsteen who is an excellent player but too technical.

Where I draw the line is I when I start just playing riffs instead of trying to make every note say something. No matter how fast or slow you play, if you're not trying to make every note count you're just another guitar player...you won't impress me at all.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by Galvanise69
Well what is it?

-Ornament. It looks brilliant in the corner.
You are currently reading my sig.

"Ah yeah, ah yeah, ah, ah, ah. Ah yeah, ah yeah, ah, ah, ah." - Robert Plant
It's about whatever you want it to be about.

as far as vai having more soul than Malmsteen. Thats a matter of personal perception. Personally I think Malmsteen has every bit as much soul as Vai. They are different players. Malmsteen has passion behind each note. Like him or not, hes geniune... he does what he does.
Ironically I dont feel very much emotion when I hear Vai (my opinion other people may feel it).
He is an absolutely incredible player.... a great showman, great technically, unique and very educated. Definately 1 of a kind. But when I hear "for the love of god".... it actually does nothing for me emotionally.

So the point is .... its all subjective. Everyone is going to have a different take on things.

Play how YOU want to play. Whats music about? ..... well for your music, thats up to you.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 25, 2007,
It's about impressing little hot Betty at a party with a technical riff (you don't need to learn the whole song or anything), so that when you actually get her drunk enough to sleep with you, she will think she is sleeping with a real musician...

Just kidding...

The song should leave the impression, not the player. It's about making music, not looking cool.
The guitar is an instrument to make music and you need the technique to do that. No matter if the technique consist of super fast alternate picking with two hand tapping all around the fretboard or slow bending note with wide vibratos, at the end, all comes down to make music.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by GuitarMunky
It's about whatever you want it to be about.

i think GM hit the nail right on the head. it's different for each person. for me its about using it as a tool, a vehicle for my imagination to create an auditory piece of artwork that hopefully others enjoy and can relate to. it's also an outlet for me, i'm not a real "touchy feely" kinda guy and i don't find it easy to express myself but music allows me to do this in many different ways. this is what playing guitar is to me, but it may be something totally different for each and every one of us.
Anyone know Billy Corgan?

Billy visited a friend. He walked into his basement and saw his friend playing a black and white Flying-V guitar. Actually, not so much as actually playing, but making some noise on it. To Billy, this was like a "light bulb going off and at that moment it all made sense: this is what I was supposed to do."

and that's the whole trick.
"That was it, a nick. Now happily paid for. [...] It was decided that it was so far away in time and influence that...well, you only get caught when you're successful. That's the game". Robert Plant
Quote by Galvanise69
Where do you draw the line between soul and teachnique?

Here we are again, trying to understand this concept "soul". It can also be termed with "feel". It needs to be established that there is no such physical thing as "soul" or "feel", they are merely terms used to describe a likeness to the song. One can not get people who like completely different music and ask them if this person has soul; they can identify technique and pitch etc, but "soul" is only applicable if you actually like the song.

Moving on... basically playing guitar, or any instrument really, is just about enjoying what you do. It is not about becoming famous or creating art, which one guy said a while back. These can only be accomplished if one is good enough, for which you need to enjoy it.
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Quote by srecko
Music makes the back of your neck hair to shiver - that's real music.

+1, but worded coherently.
Quote by raise_the_dead
I wouldnt be surprised if the first thing Varg did was sign up for WoW so he could kick some Judeo-Christian ass.

Final Fantasy

Cid Highwind of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Quote by notoriousnumber
Moving on... basically playing guitar, or any instrument really, is just about enjoying what you do. It is not about becoming famous or creating art, which one guy said a while back. These can only be accomplished if one is good enough, for which you need to enjoy it.

You don't have to be great, or even good to create art. Just look at Kurt Cobain. Terrible at guitar, great at music.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
I would say for expressing yourself, having a good time, and earning money. I like playing to express a particular feeling, but I also like jamming with friends just to enjoy the noise it makes. Every note doesn't have to come from my soul, as long as it sounds cool I think it is worth playing. Earning money is obviously good too, playing at a wedding or party is way more fun than baby-sitting (OK I've never done baby-sitting, but I guess it's not that fun ).
Quote by VR2005
Very good post Marmoseti, you're on the right track.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

PM Marmoseti or Confusius to join
Last edited by marmoseti at Sep 26, 2007,
malmsteen's music is quite good imo but he does what he does and only what he does i think he was a poor choice for g3 because his style really didnt flow to well in the big jam sections.he is from a different approach than vai and satriani.but when you listen to malmsteens music i think it has soul and or feel,,just it is a very centralized feel is all
man when i *draws great big puff of joint* started playing the guitar, man i wanted to do something that *exhales quickly* nobody else had ever done before... now i knew other people had gone rock climbing, mountain biking, learned to use flash animation and even learned to play the devils instrument, but man *tokes again* i knew that the music that "I" wrote would be perfect and unique *exhales*, and nobody else had written the music that i was gonna write, plus the guitarist (and the drummer) gets all the chicks, but thats beside the point, the point is, man, i wanted to create, and so i found my creative medium in the axe my friend, the axe, i took a trip into the desert and left my world behind me to discover that which only few in millions have the heart or longing to discover... the heart of music man, the soul of emotion... think about THAT man, think about THAT... aww my j is out
Quote by Galvanise69
Well what is it?
Is there more than one answer?

Like is it all about technique?
All about being able to compose?
All being speedy and completley clean?
Not conforming to scales or patterns?
Creating beautiful music, even if its slow and easy?

This question for me, was raised after watching the G3 tour with malmsteen. Dont get me wrong, i like malmsteen. But vai seems to have a lot more soul in his playing. Where do you draw the line between soul and teachnique?

Guitar is really about this, in my opinion: Creating good music. and 'good' is such a wide term, because we have different opinions. But its making music that you like and doing what you think sounds good. If holding one note for a long time pleases you more than a diminished sweep picked arpeggio, then go for the one note. It all depends what pleases you.

Having amazing technique allows to do what you want without any obstacles. If you're humming in your head a melody, with a fairly fast run in it, technique allows you to execute it.

And of course, playing guitar because you love it.

Stop being a guitarist and start being a musician.

Thats a good way to think.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by Paleo Pete
Two words:

Making music.

That's it, the rest is just commentary. Fast, slow, funk, blues, jazz, rock, metal, zydeco, acoustic, electric slide, classical...it's all about making music.

+994

Playing guitar is NOT a sport.

Let the RABBITS wear GLASSES
]
"a guitar is it to express oneself"-in which the soul speaks and gives life unto others...thus it is breathtaking...
IMO a musical instrument is not something that limits you.. limits are created by yourself
thus follow your hearts content and play.. learn what you seek on the way and play with your heart and mind... in other words learn everything until you can't learn anything else.. in the end you'll find yourself craving for more thus creativity comes = "original"
tilet lickin' gd
It's mostly about posting in the appropriate forum.

Try EG or the pit.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.