Page 1 of 2
Such a screwed up regime, hopefully they can get something out of these protests but I've got a feeling this is going to turn nasty.

My thoughts go out to the monks and Burmese residents standing up against the Junta. Maybe this could spark other world wide uprising's in oppressed countries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-YVdpQHdqo Watch this documentary it's sickening to see what is going on there, and in so many other countries in the world.
yeah i saw this on the news today. i hope that the military government doesnt resort to violence. If they do, i hope the US comes in and kicks their asses.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Quote by radio_schizo
Such a screwed up regime, hopefully they can get something out of these protests but I've got a feeling this is going to turn nasty.

My thoughts go out to the monks and Burmese residents standing up against the Junta. Maybe this could spark other world wide uprising's in oppressed countries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-YVdpQHdqo Watch this documentary it's sickening to see what is going on there, and in so many other countries in the world.
Could you or someone else pm me the link? I'm at school so I can't watch it now
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I actually think it'll work this time, you must understand that the Monks have a very big influence in there, that combined with different products getting more expansive, combined with the awful treatment the citizens got for dozens of years now, must make an uprising so big that the goverment wouldnt be able to last in.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Best of luck to the protesters.
...Bleep Bloop...
Quote by BassistGal
I actually think it'll work this time, you must understand that the Monks have a very big influence in there, that combined with different products getting more expansive, combined with the awful treatment the citizens got for dozens of years now, must make an uprising so big that the goverment wouldnt be able to last in.

^Yeah, the monks are highly respected there, they have the majorities support as well. But if they are going to get their demands met or ideally over throw the junta they need the whole country to stand up. But it's a tough scenario, government violence is almost inevitable and most civilians are too scared to stand up, especially after the massacre in 1988.
Bush just said he will place Sanctions on Burma.

Thoughts?
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by breadstick
yeah i saw this on the news today. i hope that the military government doesnt resort to violence. If they do, i hope the US comes in and kicks their asses.

Yeah.. cuz U.S. military intervention always works out a treat...

As it so happens, I was planning a trip to Myanmar in mid January- seems I'll have to wait this out and see what develops. Same thing happened last year though with the military coup in Thailand, but there was no significant change there, and I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference. Myanmar, though, has a recent history of genocide amongst its ethnic minorities, but I think the primary activists, the Buddists, should be ok as they are highly revered by the government.
Quote by Hpda5121
im not a racist because racism is a crime, and crime is for black people

Quote by the dave
yeah man I put my hand up their skirt and pick em up like a six pack

Quote by Death_switch
mr bill0ws is right
Last edited by mr_bill0ws at Sep 25, 2007,
Didnt loads of people get killed last time this happened ?
Quote by Slinov
i love you

I Watched Download 07 on the internet Because I'm A poor Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!
Quote by breadstick

yeah that would be a good plan that would be like vietnam and Iraq combined. Should be a walk in the park
Quote by BassistGal
Bush just said he will place Sanctions on Burma.

Thoughts?

What is that going to achieve? The country is rich in resources as is, the junta has simply no infrastructure in place to exploit them. Nor do they have any fiscal policy in place to counter their high inflation nor overstated forex rate, which discourages foreign investment. Placing economic sanctions on a primary producer nation is only going to increase inflation, pushing the Burmese people further into poverty, diminishing their already appaling living conditions, and keeping them further in the dark ages.
Quote by Hpda5121

Quote by the dave

Quote by Death_switch
mr bill0ws is right
Quote by denizenz
Maybe we could just talk it out... like we did with the Nazi's

I'm just saying it's not america's war, if anyone should intervene it should be the UN supported by alot of country's and the population of burma not just by the USA
Last edited by M0ly at Sep 25, 2007,
Problem is that it seems if we don't no one does. For some reason all of the world's problems fall on our shoulders. At least you're consistent. I can't stand the people who want military relief for Darfur and other places but are appalled by the war in Iraq. If they could just get the media's dick out of their mouth's I may be able to understand what they were trying to say.
The Buddists are the religious majority in Burma, and even the military leaders ascribe to Buddist beliefs and attend ceremonies. They would be very wary about using violence against them. The danger is that they don't want to appear weak and may lash out, like they did in 1988, opening fire or something. Lets hope for a peaceful coup- I can't see the Burmese government commiting genocide against the Buddist majority or anything. I hope the UN or especially Bush doesn't do anything rash and allows time for the situation to sort itself out.
Did you know : Burma's literacy rate is 89.9% (93.9% for boys)? Pretty bloody impressive!
Quote by Hpda5121

Quote by the dave

Quote by Death_switch
mr bill0ws is right
Quote by denizenz
Problem is that it seems if we don't no one does. For some reason all of the world's problems fall on our shoulders.

yeah well that's the main disadvantage of being the most powerful nation in the world

At least you're consistent

thx, I'll take that as a compliment
Quote by breadstick

You're serious?
you really think the US is going to send troops to a place without nukes, oil or money? They'll say: stop! or else we are going to get angry

The only ones who will maybe do something is the UN and independent media.
Quote by Shea Donoghue
"WHY DON'T YOU JUST F*CK OFF?!" So I ran up to her face and went "FINE, I F*CKING WILL" and stuck my hands down my pants and started masturbating. My friends were pissing themselves laughing while she just went "JESUS CHRIST"
Well, the news is in: the government have fired one monks.

Who shoots monks??

Edit- and personally, I think we should stay out of it, militarily. I don't know what I think of Bush's sanctions.
Quote by Douche ©
I may not be cool off the internet, but on the internet I am pretty cool.

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6
myabe we all suck thats why were sitting at a computer desk talking **** thro the enternet lol

If not all of us, at least him.

<//////>~
Last edited by crazynickman at Sep 26, 2007,
I admire the methods of the monks, but really, against a military junta, walking along a road will do nothing. The only people in a position to do anything are India and China. Instead of proposing yet more useless sanctions against Burma, what we should do is put pressure on India and China to pressurise Burma.

Quote by denizenz
Problem is that it seems if we don't no one does. For some reason all of the world's problems fall on our shoulders. At least you're consistent. I can't stand the people who want military relief for Darfur and other places but are appalled by the war in Iraq. If they could just get the media's dick out of their mouth's I may be able to understand what they were trying to say.

The situtation in Darfur is undeniably more serious than that in pre-invasion Iraq.

And most people's objections to the War in Iraq are its illegality, the lies and the shoddy execution. Apart from that I would actually have supported the War in Iraq.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
My friend sent me this text message:

"In support of our incredibly brave friends in Burma: May all people around the world wear a red shirt on Friday, September 28. Please forward!"

Apparently the message is spreading around the world.
Quote by Meths

The situtation in Darfur is undeniably more serious than that in pre-invasion Iraq.

And most people's objections to the War in Iraq are its illegality, the lies and the shoddy execution. Apart from that I would actually have supported the War in Iraq.

I agree with you here. I didn't see the need to lie about weapons that didn't exist or to rush in without an exit strategy, but I don't believe that grabbing our ankles would have done us any good either. I'd much rather fight a war on Iraqi soil then on yours or my own, and the fact of the matter is that those people want us dead so war was imminent.
Quote by denizenz
I agree with you here. I didn't see the need to lie about weapons that didn't exist or to rush in without an exit strategy, but I don't believe that grabbing our ankles would have done us any good either. I'd much rather fight a war on Iraqi soil then on yours or my own, and the fact of the matter is that those people want us dead so war was imminent.

You're indulging in a little lie there, war was not imminent with Iraq. Iraq wouldn't have dared fuck with us. The ease with which the original invasion was executed shows how unprepared for a fight they were.

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Meths
You're indulging in a little lie there, war was not imminent with Iraq. Iraq wouldn't have dared fuck with us. The ease with which the original invasion was executed shows how unprepared for a fight they were.

I meant war with the terrorist regimes which we are undoubtedly fighting in Iraq. We're not there fighting the Iraqis necessarily.
Quote by Meths

Well to be fair, USA has quite some firepower and superior technology in armour, aircraft, navy e.t.c.

Quote by laodikea
My friend sent me this text message:

"In support of our incredibly brave friends in Burma: May all people around the world wear a red shirt on Friday, September 28. Please forward!"

Apparently the message is spreading around the world.

Yeah because wearing a red shirt on friday will probably make a big ****ing difference
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by denizenz
I meant war with the terrorist regimes which we are undoubtedly fighting in Iraq. We're not there fighting the Iraqis necessarily.

The terrorist regimes weren't there until we were.

Quote by Kensai
Well to be fair, USA has quite some firepower and superior technology in armour, aircraft, navy e.t.c.

Exactly. They never would have willingly engaged in a war with us.

Quote by Kensai
Yeah because wearing a red shirt on friday will probably make a big ****ing difference

It's supposed to show that you care about the situation. Show our governments that the people care and they need to do something. Maybe.

Oscar Wilde
Quote by Meths
It's supposed to show that you care about the situation. Show our governments that the people care and they need to do something. Maybe.

I can think of a million things that are better than wearing a red t-shirt. Like, you know, getting off your ass and protest as well instead of changing your outfit.

I fear this will be another bandwagon thing...
I've been following this and some of the reports coming from Burmese bloggers (IE. Not through carefully controlled news channels) are absolutely insane and sickening.

I agree with Meths, though. As bad as it is, it's a problem that India, China etc need to get their asses into gear with. That said, China is probably perfectly content with the Burmese government. They've got a lot in common.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Meths

Didn't many people protest the Iraq war, at least in England, to no effect?
a walking talking advertisement for population control
Quote by Kensai
I can think of a million things that are better than wearing a red t-shirt. Like, you know, getting off your ass and protest as well instead of changing your outfit.

I fear this will be another bandwagon thing...

I was merely making an observation. I didn't say that it would make any difference, and I'm sure that protesting would be more effective. But this shirt thingy could be a push to the right direction. Maybe more people will get the courage to protest. Hopefully.
Quote by denizenz

It's now known Hussein and the Baathists most likely weren't funding terrorist groups; theoretically thats Syria and Iran, but I don't know what to believe anymore.
Quote by Douche ©

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6
myabe we all suck thats why were sitting at a computer desk talking **** thro the enternet lol

<//////>~
Quote by laodikea
I was merely making an observation. I didn't say that it would make any difference, and I'm sure that protesting would be more effective. But this shirt thingy could be a push to the right direction. Maybe more people will get the courage to protest. Hopefully.

It wasn't directed at you, but the people who see something like that like a fantastic, mindopening idea.
Quote by Kensai
It wasn't directed at you, but the people who see something like that like a fantastic, mindopening idea.

I don't think anyone thinks wearing red can save Myanmar (it's not Burma anymore, people), but recognition of the fact is at least better than ignorance. Not everyone can jump on a plane and go fight with the monks, and not everyone can donate X amount of dollars (pounds, krona, whatever) to a cause. It's at least making people aware (No one's gonna wonder "ZOMG WHY R U WEARING RED" but you can bring the issue up to people.).
Quote by Douche ©

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6

<//////>~
Quote by crazynickman
I don't think anyone thinks wearing red can save Myanmar (it's not Burma anymore, people), but recognition of the fact is at least better than ignorance. Not everyone can jump on a plane and go fight with the monks, and not everyone can donate X amount of dollars (pounds, krona, whatever) to a cause. It's at least making people aware (No one's gonna wonder "ZOMG WHY R U WEARING RED" but you can bring the issue up to people.).

Print up a few flyers, make a webpage... sorry it just seems like a pointless idea to wear red on friday.
Quote by Kensai
Print up a few flyers, make a webpage... sorry it just seems like a pointless idea to wear red on friday.

I'm sure those are happening too; this is just a symbolic thing that anyone can do. It's like the little ribbons or flag pins people wore after 9/11 or the Livestrong bracelets; it's just a way to honor those lost (a few died there already) and a small way to promote awareness. I can tell you on my college campus, there's going to be a protest soon and flyers everywhere are telling people about the crisis. We also had one for the Jena 6 and before I got here (I'm a freshman) there have been some for Darfur.
Quote by Douche ©

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6

<//////>~
It's depressing that the junta got the upper hand. You know that when the public eye averts from the situation they are going to carry on their awful regime and I hate to think what they are going to do/are doing to the thousands of monks and protesters locked away in those make shift prison camps.

That's the problem with people's reliance on mainstream news channels, as soon as they stop mentioning the crisis it just slips straight out of people's consciousness.

There are loads of marches going on for Burma. Like this on e in London this Sat.http://www.burmacampaign.org.uk/demonstrations.html
Quote by crazynickman
I'm sure those are happening too; this is just a symbolic thing that anyone can do. It's like the little ribbons or flag pins people wore after 9/11 or the Livestrong bracelets; it's just a way to honor those lost (a few died there already) and a small way to promote awareness. I can tell you on my college campus, there's going to be a protest soon and flyers everywhere are telling people about the crisis. We also had one for the Jena 6 and before I got here (I'm a freshman) there have been some for Darfur.

Nah, it seems to me more like a device 13 year olds can use to say to all their mates "look at how broad minded and world aware I am, I support the monks in Burma!" without actually doing anything.

Even though, as has already been pointed out, strictly speaking its Myanmar, not Burma
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Personal i think we should let diplomcy(sp?) resume. Burma/Myanmar has the whole world watchin 'em. and after what the americans and british did to iraq, i think Myanmar would be reluctant to piss anyone off.

Yeah its a bit more different from iraq. People WANT dimocracy this time, they're getting up and protesting. However if they're protesting, it means that the peoplpe want as little violence as they can.

Alot of thing seem to fall to America because they're the super ower of the world. I doubt China or India are going to get involved.

SHOULD America invade they'll have Britain going with them as i think Myanmar used to be part of the empire. And if the UK goes Aus is going to be following in aswell, we need the alliance(sp?)

But IF someone invades we won't be dealing with any terrorists and we'll have the civilians on our side. Might go smothly. Might not, it's what they said about Iraq. If we go in to liberate, then we mayaswell do half of africa while we're at it
I don't think diplomacy will work, mainly because of the stance China and Russia are taking, They don't want countries interfering because then it would give the UN legitimacy in interfering with Tibet and Chechnya. So as far as UN sanctions go those two would use a veto to scupper any proposed resolution.
I wanna grow up to be a debaser
Quote by bart munch
I don't think diplomacy will work, mainly because of the stance China and Russia are taking, They don't want countries interfering because then it would give the UN legitimacy in interfering with Tibet and Chechnya. So as far as UN sanctions go those two would use a veto to scupper any proposed resolution.

Exactly. The first thing that came to mind when hearing that china was giving comments about how this was a sad thing, etc. "Oh yeah, not so sad about Tibet now are you?" Such a hypocritical thing to do.
Page 1 of 2