Poll Options
View poll results: Creative AI?
yes
60 49%
no
61 50%
Voters: 122.
Page 1 of 2
No, you can't program enotions, therefore a machine would never be able to act as a human.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
even if it is, I don't want it

sentient robots taking over the world is one of my biggest phobias
I think that it could be possible in the future, although undesirable...
I've got something in my front pocket for you.
Why don't you reach down in my pocket and see what it is?
Then grab onto it, it's just for you.
Give a little squeeze and say: "How do you do?"
100 years ago people said that it's impossible to fly.
200 years ago people wouldn't even IMAGINE about cars.
600 years ago people wouldn't believe that one day most people would know to read.

So yeah if you ask me, with the current evolving speed of technology, yeah it's very possible that it will happen.

Though I don't want that to happen. Ever seen Terminator?
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by seljer

Fight em off
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
the only good wahs out there are Slashs, Zacks, and Dimebags.
Quote by evan1234567
im to tired and confused to comprehend what you said.
I think it's possible but not necessarily in our lifetime.

I think it ultimately boils down to a question of whether you believe humans have a "soul" where there is some element of a metaphysical presence further to just what's happening in your brain. From a purely "scientific" view of the human anatomy the brain is a finite computing device and therefore, although complex, could be emulated... in theory.
i would'nt want something like what happened in i-robot to happen in real life.
Quote by Plus_the_Bear

Electric Wizard owns.

Quote by MrDURPEEDURP
electricwizard_ wins at common sense!!!

92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this in your sig.
Quote by seljer

Oh, god they're coming! My experiments with intelligent robots have come out of control! They've become self-conscious and they're killing everyone! They're trying to get into my office as I write this! Help, UG, the robots are going to take over the world! You need to come to my lab and kill the robots beore it's too late! The adress i €a kofapiån ær gtre gewew ffdw532

Don't Be Alarmed! Everything Is Normal And Happiness Please Continue Eating Your Werthers Candies
Quote by p o e
lmfao man thats so sick and depraved and yet funny all at once

my hats off to you IbanezSA160, you have embodied the Pit into one little poem
Yes, but not for a long time. I remember reading in a book which talked about true stories behind the X-files that a couple of Issac asimov's rules for robots have been broken; robots have killed people (I think it was in Japan).
Last edited by axm at Sep 25, 2007,
Given that processing and memory power get better seemingly by the minute, the neural networking ability that exists in top level computing (military/aerospace etc) should become more available to more users in the near future.
Besides, were you meaning a proper level of creativity, or James Blunt? 'Cos my old ZX Spectrum could probably write something better than Mr Blunt...
Quote by IbanezSA160
Oh, god they're coming! My experiments with intelligent robots have come out of control! They've become self-conscious and they're killing everyone! They're trying to get into my office as I write this! Help, UG, the robots are going to take over the world! You need to come to my lab and kill the robots beore it's too late! The adress i €a kofapiån ær gtre gewew ffdw532

Don't Be Alarmed! Everything Is Normal And Happiness Please Continue Eating Your Werthers Candies

Probably the funniest thing I've read on UG.

But seriously, I think it's possible. Although I doubt it's just a matter of getting enough processing power, because computers, in many regards, are already significantly faster than humans.

I think it's more a matter of introducing spontaneity, and true randomness. Basically, you need to induce controlled mistakes. Computers can already experience and learn via genetic algorithms, which use randomness. I highly doubt that it isn't possible, I mean, scientists are approaching those ends every day. And I don't think it's anything to worry about either, but I'll bet sci-fi hype (not to mention ethics nuts) will slow the progress of the technology as we approach it. Good luck scientists!
Quote by uhh_me?
i hope it is possible. i want my very own C3PO

Yes, particularly considering his excellent communications skills and wide range of emotions. He can say anything from "drob-drob-tick-tack" to "drob-drob-tow!"
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Yes, particularly considering his excellent communications skills and wide range of emotions. He can say anything from "drob-drob-tick-tack" to "drob-drob-tow!"

pff C3PO can speak massive amounts of languages...
Quote by Kensai

I think you're thinking of R2D2.
I think it's possible, but won't happen. It'd take too long to make.
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by uhh_me?
pff C3PO can speak massive amounts of languages...

Yes but he always has that annoying british accent going on, what's up with that?

Quote by krims0n
I think you're thinking of R2D2.

Actually, I was
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
R2-D2 is much better than C3PO who wouldn't want their own little R2 unit? actually, who wouldn't want their own terminator?
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

meh...there is no way you can create true randomness...because then it wouldn't be random...
It takes lots of money to build that kind of stuff. Those little Sony robots they made that are voice responsive is a pretty big step, but Terminator-like stuff...

It's possible though. I saw this thing on the discovery channel about stuff like this. It said that maybe in the future in a couple hundred years we could have literal computer brains with a hard drive and chips and everything that can be programmed and have information added. Then when it runs out - you can just build a new one... making us immortal. And i saw something about putting robotic cells inside our bloodstream to help fight diseases.

The funny thing is, in 5th grade, we did this time capsule thing, where you take posessions and bury them so the "people of the future" can have artifacts about us and stuff. This kid put some old glasses in there, and the teacher said.. "who knows, maybe hundreds of years from now, they'll have a laser that'll make it so we won't need glasses". Now look.. 6 years later, we have lasic eye surgery making our eyes better than 2020. It's unreal how fast technology is changing.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
If we manage to fully understand the human mind we could I suppose; after all, all we are is essentially complex bio-machines.

EDIT: although that is very unlikely and would probably never really make a good human. IT could be creative to a set criteria though, for example if you programmed in all the musical conventions of a genre among other things you could make a robo band.
It isn't possible because computers can only followed scripted actions to seem random. Them actually thinking for themselves is impossible.
Quote by Kensai

That's R2D2
You could simulate emotions because they're technically only chemical reactions in your brain, and the robot wouldn't be programmed with loads of information because it ould be allowed to grow, learn, and experience life as humans do. It certainly won't happen anytime soon (on a large scale, at least), but I agree with the opinion that it isn't something to look forward to.
Quote by Kensai
Yes but he always has that annoying british accent going on, what's up with that?

Actually, I was

C3PO is fluent in over 6million forms of communication. R2D2 may understand a lot, but since he sounds like a ZX Spectrum, noone cares.
Quote by demonmouse500
You could simulate emotions because they're technically only chemical reactions in your brain, and the robot wouldn't be programmed with loads of information because it ould be allowed to grow, learn, and experience life as humans do. It certainly won't happen anytime soon (on a large scale, at least), but I agree with the opinion that it isn't something to look forward to.

Why would a robot need emotions anyways? They just get in the way of rationale.
Quote by krims0n
Why would a robot need emotions anyways? They just get in the way of rationale.

What's so good about rationale? It led SkyNet to try and wipe out humans.
I remember talking about this with my dad when I was younger, he always said we could never create a machine or robot cleverer than us as it'd defy logic.

Maybe it depends what you think of intelligence.

Imagine if a machine had the knowledge of every page of the internet, and some sort of "emotion" or "AI" and could also read a book by scanning it in what, a few seconds.
Quote by JilaX^
It isn't possible because computers can only followed scripted actions to seem random. Them actually thinking for themselves is impossible.

So? Humans essentially follow scripted actions. You do everything you do for a reason don't you? "Random" is nothing to do with anything as essentially nothing is random.

Anyway I think "creativity" in computers could be used constructively not too far in the future. For example designing... anything really I suppose is just a matter of efficiency and fulfilling criteria. Program them into the right program and it could design anything from buildings to aeroplanes.
Quote by JilaX^

You're talking about an intelligent computer. Why not a positronic brain, like an Asmovian robot - it's nothing like what we would consider a computer.
The danger is that we create robots that surpass us intelligence-wise. Those robots then create other robots that are even smarter than the afore-mentioned robots. Those go on to create others, and so on... until the gap between human intelligence and the robots' is huge. There is a danger that this could happen in the near future, given the speed of recent technological advancement, and quantum computing.

I cant remember what its called, there is a name to what I was talking about.
Quote by umop-3p!sdn
The danger is that we create robots that surpass us intelligence-wise. Those robots then create other robots that are even smarter than the afore-mentioned robots. Those go on to create others, and so on... until the gap between human intelligence and the robots' is huge. There is a danger that this could happen in the near future, given the speed of recent technological advancement, and quantum computing.

Judgement Day?
Quote by umop-3p!sdn

Ghosts in the machine?

EDIT: sorry, forget that. Apparently that is a description of the idea of having both a mind and body. I swear there is a term like that though for what you said...

That would actually only ever happen if the robots were given the opportunity and ability to do so though. I would have thought it simple enough to program some form on inhibitor on them when you make them, after all, as creator you can chose everything they can and can't do.
Last edited by MadClownDisease at Sep 25, 2007,
Quote by MightyAl
What's so good about rationale? It led SkyNet to try and wipe out humans.

Which for me would be a dream come true.
Quote by losing battle
Which for me would be a dream come true.

Are you not human, or just don't have the guts to hang yourself?
Oooooh, I leveled the poll, 50/50...I said no, They can hardly have reason, and be considerate or loving, I mean they run on binary and electricity (I'm not actually a tech n00b), lol)

Page 1 of 2