Hey guys, I was wondering why electric guitars usually have a radiused and tapered fretboard.
It seems to me that it would be easier to play on a completely flat fretboard and I always think it's too crowded near the nut (wider at the end than at the nut).
Is it just to make chording easier or something?
If that's all, I think I'd rather have a nice flat, straight fretboard.

What are your thoughts on this?
bending is easier on a curved fretboard though, that's why companies like warmoth offer a compound radius, it's flat at the lower frets, curved at the higher frets
Gear: Framus Cobra - Homemade Warmoth guitar - Ibanez S470 - Alvarez acoustic
Quote by chris_kedro
bending is easier on a curved fretboard though, that's why companies like warmoth offer a compound radius, it's flat at the lower frets, curved at the higher frets

if you mean lower frets as in 1-5 and higher as in 12+ sort of areas then youve got it the wrong way around. compound radius fretboards are curved more at lower end to make chording easier and are flatter at the higher ends because it helps to increase the range you can bend before the note "frets out"
Um. What exactly is a tapered fretboard? I mean, what is taper?
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
lol, oops, i must have read that wrong on their site, thanks, learn something new everyday
Gear: Framus Cobra - Homemade Warmoth guitar - Ibanez S470 - Alvarez acoustic
Quote by Firenze
Um. What exactly is a tapered fretboard? I mean, what is taper?

With taper I meant that the fretboard is less wide at the nut than at the last fret.
Oh alright, cool.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live