First off I'm going to apologize because I have been on these threads for a long time (finally made a username in the past couple of months) and I have read numerous "which one should I get" threads... However, recently I decided to make a guitar from complete scratch (do not worry I will make a thread for that soon and post pics) and have come to a stopping point on which pickups to order and I'm looking for a new amp (I currently own a piece of ****). Now the name of this thread is $1200 because that's what I have to spend on the pickups and the amp. I have researched quite a bit and there are so many damn choices that I feel completely overwhelmed as to what I should get.
To help out I'm making a LP and I pretty much love Slash's style of music. Since many LP's have humbuckers I have looked at numerous of those however I don't know if that is the right choice. As for amp's I don't wtf I'm looking for in an amp. I have looked at some Marshall's only because I have read that they are the shiite when it comes to amps, but I truthfully don't know much about them. I'm not gearing myself out for onstage performances, but I like to rock out with quality when I'm at home.

Thanks
Is it wrong to be strong.... You decide.
Marshall tube amps are good amps, but the older discontinued models (JCM 800/JCM 900) tend to be better than the new ones (JCM 2000). The JCM 800 will have more a classic Marshall sound, whereas the JCM 900 will have a bit better cleans (it's the difference in power tubes). You should also look around at the used market. Mesa/Boogie is another brand you more or less can't go wrong with. It's all personal preference, as long as you're getting quality. As far as pickups, I'd get custom or something better than just Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio (despite what a lot of people think, pickups that are marketed as ones a particular pro uses is still a stale, weak imitation). I prefer handwound pickups from a guy named Dave Stephens, but you should also take a look at Lindy Fralin's pickups. Either way, for good quality, you should be looking at spending about $250 on pickups and the rest on your amp. You can get a great amp for about $1,000.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Sep 25, 2007,
I believe they market the Alnico IIs as the ones Slash uses. The point is, they're not exactly the ones that Slash uses (because artists get them wound to spec, and I'm sure it's not something most artists want widely known), and I'd rather talk to a pro about the sound I'm looking for, have him build the pickup to my specs, and be able to get him to replace or rewind them for free if I don't like them, which is a usual benefit of custom pickups.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Sep 25, 2007,
Quote by Dirk Gently
I believe they market the Alnico IIs as the ones Slash uses. The point is, they're not exactly the ones that Slash uses (because artists get them wound to spec, and I'm sure it's not something most artists want widely known), and I'd rather talk to a pro about the sound I'm looking for, have him build the pickup to my specs, and be able to get him to replace or rewind them for free if I don't like them, which is a usual benefit of custom pickups.

Bingo. If you want to get a sound exactly like Slash, and since you're building a guitar from scratch, then I assume that that is indeed what you want, I'd go to a custom maker and ask them to make me pups that will sound just like the ones Slash uses. Possibly test and use Pearly Gates/Alnico II's in ready-made Les Pauls (I don't know what the hell he uses to be honest) as a template and go from there in terms of how you want the pups to sound.

As for the amp, I'd say go for a Marshall or a Fender, again if you want that really treble-tastic Slash sound.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Ok.... Thank you very much. I will keep my search open to about anything, but this will really help to narrow things down a little bit. If anyone else has input they are definetly still welcome.

Once again thank you
Is it wrong to be strong.... You decide.
No worries, man. Let us know how it goes (pics etc...)
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Where are you in the world? that affects what amps you can get greatly. If in america look at mesa if in england look at marshalls. Also take a look at bareknuckle pickups as they will rewind pickups if they dont please.
I didn't know Bare Knuckles did that.

If they do, then go for BK's. Probably the best pickups you will find generally, anywhere.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Quote by Ashdownlover
Where are you in the world? that affects what amps you can get greatly. If in america look at mesa if in england look at marshalls. Also take a look at bareknuckle pickups as they will rewind pickups if they dont please.

I agree and disagree. Marshall does enough US business that their prices in the US are reasonable. In the UK, on the other hand, Boogies are retardedly expensive.
Hi, I'm Peter