Something is very, very wrong with my guitar. If I tune it with the fifth-fret method, the octaves are ridiculously off - they play completely different notes, not just slightly out of tune. If I tune it to octaves, then my power chords sound like dying animals.

I think this means my bridge is out of whack and needs adjustment. Is this something I can do myself with the appropriate tools, or is it too advanced a procedure, and I should take it to a shop? I just don't want to be without it for a week (the time I was quoted at my local guitar shop, since they are backed up), even if it sounds like poo.
Squier Strat
B-52 AT-212 100w tube
Boss Metal Zone

Amateur philosopher and physicist
tune the guitar. then fret each string at the 12th fret. compare.

when you get those in tune, then u've intonated.

an adjustment is done with a screw driver. what type of guitar?

SETTING INTONATION: from icepoint...
Most electric guitars provide individual string length adjustment for setting intonation. Fine tuning this length insures that your guitar plays in tune all the way up and down the neck.

Using an electronic tuner, tune your guitar to pitch.
One string at a time, play the harmonic at the 12th fret and then play the fretted 12th fret note.
If the fretted note is sharper than the harmonic, increase the string length slightly until both notes register the same on your tuner.
If the fretted note is flat compared to the harmonic shorten the string length slightly until both notes register the same on your tuner.
Repeat the procedure on all strings until the harmonic and the fretted notes are the same.

in that pic #2.

on tom its this screw
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Sep 25, 2007,
Holy smokes, my 12th fret harmonics and fretted notes are incredibly off. No wonder. Thanks for the link. BTW, before I do this, what's the chance that I can completely mess up my guitar, even if I'm very careful?
Squier Strat
B-52 AT-212 100w tube
Boss Metal Zone

Amateur philosopher and physicist
just make tiny screw turns. ur guitar is already "messed up" ull be un-messing it.

if you pull back the saddle, make sure you go slow. and make sure to retune the open string, inbetween saddle moves.

oh, and if u have a hard time finding the harmonic at the 12th, then compare the fretted and open notes.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Sep 25, 2007,
Have fun. I've never been able to get the notes to totally match up.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
-SD "Pearly Gates" bridge pickup
-50's style wiring
Digitech RP150
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 Linear Power Booster
Peavey Windsor Studio

= My amp on crack