Alright I have a question for anyone who knows anything about this stuff.

A few weeks ago a company accidentally put a sum of money into my bank account. They contacted one of my family (I was out of the country) asking could I send them a letter giving them permission to take the money back (this is probably so the bank can do a direct transfer).

So the question is, if I refused to write this letter (or simply don't respond) do you think they'd take it to court, or can they even do that (I'm hoping for some accidental money transfer clause here I guess)?

On a side note, this company is a real estate company I used to rent from. They completely screwed me out of my deposit when I was with them so this is why I'm being so evil about the whole thing (taking back what's mine etc.).

Cheers!
Quote by jimtaka
i'd say your guitar is out of tune, or you are accidentally muting strings that you aren't trying to, or your right hand isn't strumming at the same time that your left hand is fretting, or you could be reading the tab upside down...
Write the letter. They will take you to court and they will definately be able to afford a better lawyer than you.
Quote by ACG

In conclusion, I'm gay.

Mud Sergeant of the Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.

"Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join."
no idea on the legality of it, it could be some sort of scam thing. they say they put money in there, you give them permission to take money out of your account, and BOOM all your money is gone.
Now UG is a doctor AND a lawyer? sweet!

But honestly, I dont think they could hold much of a case in court, because even if it was an accident, they still put the money in there, right? So it's legally yours now.
Quote by saxaxe

But honestly, I dont think they could hold much of a case in court, because even if it was an accident, they still put the money in there, right? So it's legally yours now.

Unfortunately that isn't so correct. Everyone makes mistakes, this one just has to do with a lot of money. They are kindly asking for the money back, and if it isn't returned they can definately make a court case out of it.
Quote by ACG

In conclusion, I'm gay.

Quote by saxaxe

I agree

Maybe ask someone in a more appropriate place than UG, i don't think 583502501 pubecent 13 year old's replies will help your legal situation.
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

Marshall DSL100 Halfstack

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
id say write the letter unless its a significan portion of money (enough to pay for a lawyer+court costs and still have a bunch left over), in which case screw them. of course, if it isnt a significant portion of money, they may not take it to court. But if you write the letter, put the amount they are due in writing. But i'd just not return their calls or make contact with them untill they serve you with papers.

Then again, i also wouldnt bring my legal troubles, or any of my other troubles that do not involve *********, barrell roles (sp?), icy hot, kittens, owls or that damned lol wut pair to the pit (unless you want admitadly intelligent or informed drug advice, political or religious debate or to be told to get a par).

EDIT: but about my advice, i am currently a high school student who has no knowledge of law or anything like that, i was stating what i would do, not what you by any means should do (it actually may be the opposite of what you should do).
Quote by Lacquer_Head
Write the letter. They will take you to court and they will definately be able to afford a better lawyer than you.

Agreed. They will **** you up. Estate Agent style (???)
It occasionally happens with banks. I read several stories of people suddenly having a huge sum of money in their account due to a banking error. Even if the bank doesn't at first realise what it has done and the person spent the money or didn't give it back, they were always sued and went to jail.
Quote by ACG

In conclusion, I'm gay.

Quote by MetalheadA7X

Maybe ask someone in a more appropriate place than UG, i don't think 583502501 pubecent 13 year old's replies will help your legal situation.

Well put.
i would wait until i was back on home soil, then contact the company to make sure it isn't a scam, but they will prolly be able to take the money back with a court order.
Member of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last.fm
Write the letter.

They are entitled to the money.

/thread.
Terms and Conditions apply.
^^Yup, the principle is called 'unjust enrichment' they are entitled to their money back.
I wanna grow up to be a debaser