Okay in a bid for supreme michael jackson sound quality [or at least to hear what it sounds like on vinyl] i've dug out my dads old turntable system [from the 80's i believe] and basically i've plugged it in, which works, i've put the original copy of Thriller in, and i'ce turn it on and got it turning and i can hear it playing from inside the thing and i got a speaker with the same sort of jack, [there's two btw] and plugged it into one of them, but alas no sound

Could it be the wrong type of speaker i'm using here? The table also has 2 leads [which obv. plug into these speaker jacks and out to other speakers] but i have none of those to hand, so yeah, do i just have to try new speakers with it?
most likely you need an amplifier. you may be able to hook the turntable into your stereo system as the auxilery system.
Turntables don't output line level audio. You need a receiver that accepts a Phono input. Also make sure you connect the ground wire.
you need a preamp for most old turntables

This is usually built into the rest of the stereo (and why there is a seperate "phono" input that sends it through this special preamp). The cartridge on a turntable works very much the same way a guitar pickup does, this signal is verrry weak.
The preamp also has the function of transforming the recording back to normal from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization (records are pressed with the treble boosted as it retains more fidelity, but you have to deboost it for regular listening)
The ground wire? I've got what's basically a small black wire which is like ending in a metal plate that i guess is what you mean? Where do i put it once i have connected it?

And hrm, how easy is it to buy/find an amplifier for these things?
What is amplifying the sound? You are going to need something like a receiver to go between the player and the speakers(unless the speakers are powered) And if the turntable does not have a built in preamp you will need to get a phono preamp to go between the turntable and your receiver/amp to boost and EQ the signal properly.

And some receivers have built in phono inputs but you don't usually see that on modern ones
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Last edited by yeahyeah at Sep 25, 2007,
Ah i never realised that they didn't put out line level sound
I shall have to check with my dad about the way forward [as it was his after all]
If the manual [which i found on teh netz] says that it has a photo out
I also checked the thing and yeah it says 'phono out'

Does this mean out to pre-amp or does it have this so called 'phono' [no idea what it is] built in?

EDIT: NM it doesn't have an inbuilt thing i dont believe, it also has in the manual a diagram of it going into the back of an amp

receiver - http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sherwood-Stereo-Receiver-RX-4105/sem/rpsm/oid/121266/catOid/-12949/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
phono preamp- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/BBE-FJB200X-Phono-Preamp?sku=801600

keep in mind that those are just examples and aren't exactly audiophile level things, but just enough to make sound
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Ah, well it would seem that for the mean while, i must stick with CD's

And if you're interested and know about these things, its a Technics SL-5
Last edited by philipisabeast at Sep 25, 2007,
You don't need to stick with CDs at all really. I have my old 60s turntable in my bedroom, and my new one hooked up to the PC so I can record LPs onto the PC via Audacity, and then convert them into mp3 so I can put them on my iPod and listen to them on the PC and whatnot.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.