I just got a Jasmine by Takomini and the bridge was broken in half, glued together, and then poorely glued on the guitar. how should i go about removing it so i can put on a new one? i would prefer to avoid damaging the finish of course. essentially.. wahts the best way to remove glue from a guitar?

these are the pictures.... so you can see what im dealing with.

Last edited by somekid413 at Sep 25, 2007,
a few bumps and scratches gives it a nice personalised vintage tinge.
I don't know, you could use a hot damp cloth to loosen it up a bit?
Sorry I can't really help you
Quote by frusciante_50

Sorry I can't really help you

then why bother posting?

but ill get pics up soon.. good idea thx.
I heard a heat gun, something like a hairdryer, can be used to melt the glue so it can be taken off, but ive never tried, it could cause damage.
^-- I really can't help you much here, but common sense tells me that you should be really careful if you are going to do that. The braces inside the guitar are also held on with glue and using a heat gun to remove the bridge seems like it'd be just as effective at accidentally loosening or removing the inside bracing as well.
That job is going to be easier said than done. It will take a qualified luthier's skill and tools to perform a bridge replacement successfully. Specialized heating pads, chisels, clamps, glue and so on are needed. Some of these tools alone cost more than your entire guitar.
However, if you really want to tackle it, have a look through the site I have linked to here, then decide for yourself if it's a job for you or not. This is my favorite place to go for information on the how to's of guitar care/repair.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Technique/Guitar/Bridges/ReglueBr/regluebr1.html
As the others guys said, i think it would be much better to take it to a luthier. Replacing the bridge could be a pain in the ass if you're not knowing what you're doing.

BTW, how did the bridge broke?
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
i dont know... i got the guitar really cheap because i figured i could get it fixed/ fix it myself..
*UPDATE*
soo i heated up the sucker with a heat gun and it came right off.... with almost no damage... all i gotta do is sand it a little and put on a new one and itl be ready to rock...
Make sure you use good glue, and clamp it, your gunna need to figure out a way to clamp it from both sides. Or your at least gunna have to support underneath the bridge somehow. And then use somehtign heavy to give it enough pressure while the glue dries
yea i think im gonna pay the guy to do it

he wanted to charge me 75 plus the cost of the new bridge to do it.... i got a new bridge and removed the old one myself... so hopefully hel put it on cheep.. im quite broke.
Wait, what model is your guitar?
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS