Ok, so I've had enough of my Strat copy and I wanted to get some good guitar. I mainly play any type of rock (includes modern rock, classic rock and hard rock) and some bands I like are GN'R, Velvet Revolver, LedZep, White Stripes, Wolfmother and Muse. My budget would be under 800 EUROS, and I'd rather have a brand-new guitar, not one already used. I'd like it to be ready to sound nice when clean, but also play with distortion.

But hey, I'm asking for help, so anything is really appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
Last edited by Deagle-Eyes at Sep 25, 2007,
800 euros?!?!?

youre rich

well anyways

you want something "nice" in clean?

by nice do you mean warm?

then youll need something like a Les paul or maybe a Minarik?

otherwise get an original american strat?
Fender Stratocaster,Yamaha ERG 121 and 5 other random low budget acoustics
I went to some local shop and they told me they didnt recommend me Les Paul, just because of the neck, dunno what he told me, cause he was getting repetitive.

So noone else's got a problem with it?

And any more suggestions?

EDIT: Yeah, actually, under 800 euros btw.
That might be what he told me but he looked to have something against every guitar, so he told me SGs were unstable.. Huhoh.. Are they really? Or just he's trying to sell what he's got?

EDIT: Meaning that the neck was heavier than the body, so it was uncomfortable, and also the part where you put the strap lock on the guitar is in the back right?
yeah its on the back, but it doesnt affect me,

im saving up for a Mockingbird Slash Sig, beautiful guitar
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Quote by Deagle-Eyes
That might be what he told me but he looked to have something against every guitar, so he told me SGs were unstable.. Huhoh.. Are they really? Or just he's trying to sell what he's got?

EDIT: Meaning that the neck was heavier than the body, so it was uncomfortable, and also the part where you put the strap lock on the guitar is in the back right?

i dont use strap locks, but i dont think its because the necks heavier, i reckon it slips down because of the position of the strap button, allowing it to slide. And anyhows, who stands there without hands on the guitar!?!! and it doesnt slip a lot any ways!

hope that helped

gus
what amp have you got?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I just have a crappy 10w one, runned through a zoomg2 pedal which works well. I'm about to change my amp too, but I want the guitar first! :P
how much will you have for both the amp and guitar? no point in blowing all your funds on a guitar first if you have to make do with a sub-par amp...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That's a good question I have to think about, but I think that MAXIMUM 1000 euros for both. And I m being generous (cause it depends on my parents)
500 euros per piece, or maybe 600 for the amp, maybe even 700 for the amp, 300 euro will still get you a nice guitar
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
assuming you can get 1000 euros:

amp: http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/vc15-110/67333 or http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/vc30-112/380 (generally to get from pounds to euro divide by 2 and multiply by 3) that's a lot cheaper than you can get them on thomann for, though i don't know if gak ship outside the UK or not.

guitar:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/godin_freeway_classic_egitarre_tb.htm

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/x50-pro/67531

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/yamaha-aes620-electric-guitar/12121

actually, depending on what you buy there, that might come in a bit under 1000 euros.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
500 euros per piece, or maybe 600 for the amp, maybe even 700 for the amp, 300 euro will still get you a nice guitar

i agree, generally, but if you don't need to get to metal levels of overdrive (and he doesn't seem to), the laney vc15 or 30 are extremely nice amps. i'd take them over pretty much anything under about £500 (750 euro or so), assuming I didn't need a metal tone.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well I mean it's really up to you, the amp will change your sound a lot more dramatically than the guitar, if you bought a 3000 euro guitar it would sound very poorly through your current amp or any other poor amp. a 100 euro guitar through a 3000 euro amp is going to sound wonderful (of course 3000 for each would be the best combo )

anyway, if there's a guitar you just HAVE to have that costs 800 euro, and you're willing to sound the same while saving for a new amp, go for it. if you want to improve your tone significantly, more on the amp.

A peavey classic 30 would be a nice choice I think, or laney VC30. I'm sure there are others but I can't think because I keep sneezing

that leaves you with 400 euro for a guitar

http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_les_paul_standard_cherry_sunburst.htm

or

http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_sg400_wc_egitarre.htm

anything else that takes your fancy in that price range
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
well I mean it's really up to you, the amp will change your sound a lot more dramatically than the guitar, if you bought a 3000 euro guitar it would sound very poorly through your current amp or any other poor amp. a 100 euro guitar through a 3000 euro amp is going to sound wonderful (of course 3000 for each would be the best combo )

anyway, if there's a guitar you just HAVE to have that costs 800 euro, and you're willing to sound the same while saving for a new amp, go for it. if you want to improve your tone significantly, more on the amp.

A peavey classic 30 would be a nice choice I think, or laney VC30. I'm sure there are others but I can't think because I keep sneezing

that leaves you with 400 euro for a guitar

http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_les_paul_standard_cherry_sunburst.htm

or

http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_sg400_wc_egitarre.htm

anything else that takes your fancy in that price range

but yeah, agreed with your general sentiments. classic 30 is a good idea actually- if GAK won't ship outside the UK, the classic 30 might actually be better value than the laney, and is a nice amp too (though i prefer the laney; then again, in the UK the laney is about 100 euro cheaper!).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok so guys Deagles Eyes is a friend of mine and we play the guitar toguether my situation is alike I also have and imitation of Strat (stix) and a sucky amp (Drive 10 or 15v dunno) and well aswell as Deagles I was thinking of changing my guitar and amp. First i thought of an epiphone les paul but asking the same guy that deagles eyes talk to he said it was a piece of *** and that we should buy a cort. I dont know exactly the money I can spend but I supose up to 1200€ maybe not more.
Do you guys recomend marshalls? Fenders? or Peavys? for amps or anyother, was thinking of 100v aswell.
Thx for your time

Fatty
it's more than likely that you don't need 100 watts. 30 watts of valve power will be as loud as 100 watts solid state (more or less), and sound better cranked to 10 at any rate (that's the whole point of valve amps, to turn them up, as they sound better turned up).

you play the same music, right?

i'm guessing that in the band, you want to have slightly different tones? I mean, the recommendations i made for deagle would be good for you, too, but there isn't much point in having exactly the same tone either.

make sure you avoid solid state and hyvrid marshalls- at your price range you should be looking at all-valve amps.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
what do you mean with solid state and hyvrid marshalls? I can't understand why a 30w is as good as a 100w how you say, can you explain it plz? You see we are from Barcelona so we have a bit of a problem understanding it.
30w is as good as sound as a 100w,

100w is just louder
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
ill give it a shot...solid state amps and all tube amps dont have the same watt scale. So for example...(i dont know the exact science) but what is important to know is that 100 watts of solid state amplification is going to be, as Dave said, close to about 30 watts of tube amplifiation...becuase solid state and tube amps are built with different components and stuff. Solid State is a more digital processed kind of amp...where as tube amps use tubes in the amplification design. Alot of people prefer tube sound over solid state too.
Gear

Soon to have Carvin California Carved Top
Fender MIM Strat (Warthog, Spotlight, Condor)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
basically, it's to do with the way tubes (in tube/valve amps) overdrive compared to how transistors (in solid state amps) overdrive.

transistors don't distort at all until they hit their peak power. then they distort all at once, sounding harsh, thin, and crap.

tubes distort much more gradually, and get louder and louder. When a tube is distorting, it can be putting out more than its rated wattage. plus, when tubes distort, they have much more harmonics than solid state, which makes them appear louder than they actually are too, to the human ear.

Finally, when transistors distort, as i previously suggested, they sound like crap. While when tubes distort (assuming you don't want a totally clean tone), they sound better and better. So you actually want to turn them up (which is why lower wattage tube amps are so popular), while with a transistor amp, you have a really high wattage so you don't have to turn it up to the point where it starts to sound crap.

So, that's about it. Not to mention the fact that wattage says nothing about the sound quality. You can have 100 watt amps which sound horrible, and 5, 10 or 15 watt amps which sound amazing.

EDIT: finally, it's worth remembering that wattage isn't a great indicator of volume. All things being equal, a 100 watt amp is only twice as loud as a 10 watt amp. And speakers can make a bigger difference to volume level than a change in wattage (speaker sensitivity, i.e. the number of decibels per watt of power, and number of speakers).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?