I think Jack White just has a whammy pedal and puts it one octave down.

There are bass tabs though.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
There is some stand up bass in a few songs

and no, the riff in Seven Nation Army is not a bass
Its a guitar that Jack put through a pedal that made the notes drop and octave when it came out of the amplifier
at least thats what I've heard
Everyone who says the whammy pedal thing is correct. Watch a live video for Seven Nation Army or Hardest Button To Button
The point is there's no proper bass player. I think that's a good thing, because if a bass player was forced to play along with Meg White, he'd probably kill himself.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I heard that Jack White has like a bass-hatred, that was why it was so weird when he played bass for Beck. He has a strong no-bass policy with the White Stripes
Quote by frusciante_50
I heard that Jack White has like a bass-hatred, that was why it was so weird when he played bass for Beck. He has a strong no-bass policy with the White Stripes

?

There's bass on My Doorbell. He even plays bass when performing that song live! He uses an octave pedal on Seven Nation Army and I'm pretty sure the keyboards have got some bass range action going on too.

Quote by thefitz
if a bass player was forced to play along with Meg White, he'd probably kill himself.

true
Last edited by Lendorav at Sep 25, 2007,
Quote by frusciante_50

That's not the case. He's just got a policy of minimalism. He's played bass on his own songs before - My Doorbell with Jools Holland springs to mind.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I think that's the only time he's ever used a bass on that song, otherwise they would have to have someone else play the piano parts on stage. And there hasn't ever been any bass on any of the White Stripes records, the sub octave pedal is correct. Live he doesn't even use the octave pedal, but plays it on the low E string.
Quote by thefitz
The point is there's no proper bass player. I think that's a good thing, because if a bass player was forced to play along with Meg White, he'd probably kill himself.

^^^^ hahahaha true and ima gonna sig it cuz its the funniest thing ive seen all day
Quote by SublimeGuitar
http://youtube.com/watch?v=o-dwQOFEjUw

bass

EDIT: Oh noes!!!! hes using a big muff!!!! dont tell the fitz!

A semi-hollow... Gibson... with a neck humbucker... played through a Big Muff... does he want me to kill him!?

But, I'm actually surprised that the EB2 played through a Big Muff even makes a sound. The Big Muff cuts lows and that's the only thing you get out of those basses.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
A semi-hollow... Gibson... with a neck humbucker... played through a Big Muff... does he want me to kill him!?

But, I'm actually surprised that the EB2 played through a Big Muff even makes a sound. The Big Muff cuts lows and that's the only thing you get out of those basses.

ooOOOOooooh....Does that mean you've just disproved the main reason behind your idea of big muffs not being for use with a bass fitz?
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
Quote by sammcl-15
ooOOOOooooh....Does that mean you've just disproved the main reason behind your idea of big muffs not being for use with a bass fitz?

Nope, that octave pedal saved his ass.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I think in the studio he puts a subtle bass track behind the guitars, (the hardest button?)

Ps: Jools Holland was amazing on that show.
Last edited by kaptink at Sep 26, 2007,
Why have I not seen this thread yet?

Regardless of wether or not Seven Nation Army really has bass in it, it has one of the most recognizable "bass lines" in recent "pop" music.

If you play that in a large group of people, they'll probably all think of the White Stripes.

This was the first song I learned to play on bass
Quote by thefitz

Lol all you need now is a Marshall amp. He may even have one...

But the White Stripes have no official bass player. They have bass parts on some of their songs, but no official player.
I don't get what the fuzz is all about with the white stripes. if you tell someone the importance about bass they always say "look the white stripes dont have one lolzr!", personally I despise them, not for not having bass but just for their music, the tone of the guitar on "Icky Thump" was plain atrocious and the solo was... well, it was vincent745 level. enough ranting.
Last edited by watchingmefall at Sep 26, 2007,
^lol but music isnt about how gud u play its about feel. jak and meg white dont play the best but they dont need to becase the songs rock. also ther on the radio n television alot n we all kno that everything on the radio n television must be gud! they also have a clichee gimmick with the whole red/white/black colour theme that's easy to identify.

****, I started out trying to talk like... one of those types, but it kept getting Fitzier as the paragraph went on.

I don't know if their tour of Canada, complete with playing on city busses, in the arctic and in day cares is cool, or perhaps the most pretentious thing I've ever seen. But they're on television and the radio and in Rolling Stone and it makes them happy so I have no right to criticize it because those things only anoint the best.

/fitz

Sorry, it's raining like hell and my presentation was postponed (which ****s a lot of **** up for me) and I've no issue of Bass Player and my Warwick's still broken so I'm cranky.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
^lol but music isnt about how gud u play its about feel. jak and meg white dont play the best but they dont need to becase the songs rock. also ther on the radio n television alot n we all kno that everything on the radio n television must be gud! they also have a clichee gimmick with the whole red/white/black colour theme that's easy to identify.

****, I started out trying to talk like... one of those types, but it kept getting Fitzier as the paragraph went on.

I don't know if their tour of Canada, complete with playing on city busses, in the arctic and in day cares is cool, or perhaps the most pretentious thing I've ever seen. But they're on television and the radio and in Rolling Stone and it makes them happy so I have no right to criticize it because those things only anoint the best.

/fitz

Sorry, it's raining like hell and my presentation was postponed (which ****s a lot of **** up for me) and I've no issue of Bass Player and my Warwick's still broken so I'm cranky.

Oh man, sorry bout your warwick. And yeah, I know music is about feeling and that stuff but I that "solo" was atrocious with feeling and technique and his tone horrible, and he can't play and sing a decent line at the same time. Jack white needs to practice more guitar, get a bassist and a new drummer, yeah.
Quote by watchingmefall
Oh man, sorry bout your warwick. And yeah, I know music is about feeling and that stuff but I that "solo" was atrocious with feeling and technique and his tone horrible, and he can't play and sing a decent line at the same time. Jack white needs to practice more guitar, get a bassist and a new drummer, yeah.

Yes, get a new drummer. Keep Meg White and let her bounce around all the time (the only reason I'd ever watch a Stripes performance), but not behind a drumkit.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
A bit off topic, but Meg White supposedly has a sex tape out now. Though some people say its not her. That might brighten your day Fitzy.

I have to admit, I didnt really mind some of their earlier stuff, but this Icky Thump stuff is kinda annoying... Either that, or I havent listened to it enough yet... I mean I used to think Bright Eyes were annoying, but then I actually took the time to listen to them and now I like them...
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
I kind of thought that Icky thump sounded similar to Achilles Last stand by Zeppelin.
But Zeppelin's Achilles Last Stand was alittle bit.. cleaner...
and smoother..

i'm not a fan of Icky Thump myself.
Meg White Sex Tape? Icky Thump indeed.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
/\ WOW you made the coke come out of my nose!!!!

also: I like your new john entwistle avatar.
Member of the "Shoop Da Woop" club, PM to Join
Quote by pie_man_25
/\ WOW you made the coke come out of my nose!!!!

also: I like your new john entwistle avatar.

Thanks. I captured it off The Ox's Tale DVD.

PS you shouldn't read my posts while snorting coke.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by watchingmefall

Hes better than you.
And besides, he doesn't really need technical skill for his music. I can't imagine a White Stripes song with a shred solo....or a normal solo :P

Wasn't the solo played on a keyboard?
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Last edited by Woogles at Sep 27, 2007,
Quote by thefitz
Nope, that octave pedal saved his ass.

Fitz.

I hate you and your anti-muff arguements.
Quote by Demonikk
+1

Quote by Charlatan_001
Quote by sammcl-15
Fitz.

I hate you and your anti-muff arguements.

I'm sorry to hear that.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Saw them live, he uses a pedal on a 6 string electric for seven nation army. As for the bass, he does use one, saw him doin it live.
GO WINGS GO
Quote by Woogles
Hes better than you.
And besides, he doesn't really need technical skill for his music. I can't imagine a White Stripes song with a shred solo....or a normal solo :P

Wasn't the solo played on a keyboard?

No, I mean the solo that had the tone that was worst than the Yngwie Malmsteen parody video.
Quote by thefitz
Meg White Sex Tape? Icky Thump indeed.

Sigged. Hey I own 2 Fitzy sigs... Didnt even mean to do that...
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/