I've been thinking about getting into building pedals myself. I looked around the BYOC website and thought I would order the PCB and find the rest of the parts on my own to save some money. But of course, the pedal that I want to build (Armstrong Twin) is the only one that they don't offer the PCB for. Would it be possible to assemble the components on a normal perforated board? And how much more difficult would this make it?

I'm not actually considering this for my first build, I'm going to try the simple looking fuzz pedal in the ultimate pedal building thread first.
It would be possible, definitely. The only real downside is that you've got to make all the connections between components yourself with bits of wire and solder, instead of having the PCB traces. I've built a couple circuits on perf, it's not too hard although it's a bit finicky occasionally.
If you're really serious about it, there are PCB etching kits available out there so you can lay the copper down easily
^^yea. it gets really confusing.

^it's not "that" easy.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Finicky meaning a bit fiddly and possibly a bit difficult I think. I use stripboard for most of my builds. It's like perfboard but with horizontal copper strips on each row so you only have to solder the components to the board and not each other.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by Blaster Bob
Finicky meaning unreliable? or hard to get right/keep from getting confused?

It's just kind of annoying to remember exactly where you are, especially with more complicated circuits. It takes a bit longer but it's pretty much the same in the end.
Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll try the fuzz face clone first, and if that goes over well then I'll see what I can do about the Armstrong.

While I'm at it, what would be involved in adding a switch that could make the effect toggle between generating an octave above and below? Too ambitious?