i can play songs but when it comes to making my own music, i just can't think any good riffs up.

any ideas?
theres really no way anyone can help you come up with a good riff but an idea might be to think of riff in your head, record yourrself humming it out on ur phone so u dont forget it, and then try and figure it out on guitar.

EDIT: or do what most bands do and just completely rip off the bands you love.
Last edited by Skirvy at Sep 25, 2007,
you just gotta expand your knowledge of music theory and what you can do with your guitar. I had the same problem for the longest time, hell i still have the problem, ****, metallica has that problem now. the only thing you need to know is that there are infinite possibilities that can be achieved with your guitar.

Also do not feel constrained, experiment with everything, even if it sounds bad, so what, just dont play it again. just let loose on your guitar
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Because when I was younger I would wrap dollar bills around my wang while masturbating to get that extra dirty feeling.

Even though I quit doing it, it still turns me on when I see money.

Http://magnumman.dmusic.com
try to think of them before you try to play them on guitar. A lot of people cont just sit with a guitar and make an awesome riff, but could just sit there and sing/hum one easily
Quote by Skirvy
theres really no way anyone can help you come up with a good riff but an idea might be to think of riff in your head, record yourrself humming it out on ur phone so u dont forget it, and then try and figure it out on guitar.

yea, that humming stuff is also really good, sometimes ill think up a catchy beat in my head and then apply it to the guitar
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Because when I was younger I would wrap dollar bills around my wang while masturbating to get that extra dirty feeling.

Even though I quit doing it, it still turns me on when I see money.

Http://magnumman.dmusic.com
normally, to me, they just happen, like either ill be playing or not, and somehow it just pops into my head.

then i jam around that riff, and a song forms
My Old Progressive Metal Band:
Acrasia
For fans of Between The Buried and Me, Dream Theater, Cynic.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
i wouldnt say you need to know much theory. do you know the blues scale? i think someone posted a article about it the other day. its a very common scale which many bands use, but still sounds cool.
i often play about with combinations of that to get riffs.
Yeah, don't expect yourself to pull out anything amazing everytime you sit down with your gat in your hands. Sometimes the best way to do is to not put your mind to. I often come up with interesting **** while watching a DVD or something. Othertimes you do need to think about what you want: how the riff should sound, how it's sound will effect the feel of the rest of the song etc.
Inhuman evil take down!
Rhythm.

There are only so many melodic possibilities in a given key, and of course the Holy Trinity (E, A and B) are used and abused, left raped by the side of the road long ago...

So what to do? Try a strange key, like C# minor that has open E/open A possibilities.

Also, consider what timing can do for you. Learn a bit of drums, and see what you can do with one note...then two...then three.

Possibilities are nearly endless with a single note (ever listen to Fear Factory?)

Good luck, and do not give up!
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Take inspiration from everywhere. If a motif from a classical piece inspires you, don't hesitate to fool around with it on guitar and hopefully write something new and catchy. Remember, "Talent borrows, genius steals."
Tiger style.
Okay - you need to pick a key - which one isn't particularly important at this point. We'll come back to that later. Then, learn the scale for that key. After learning that, you have every note you can use in your riffs - the great thing about guitar is, you can play those notes in several different octaves. Then play around on those notes until you play something catchy. Then, memorize it, and move it into other keys until you find one it sounds great in. That's your new key. Then take that riff and build off of it to make a section of your song (i.e. chorus, verse, etc.) Do the same thing for each section (but make sure to stay in key - at least most of the time!) until you're satisfied. Remember - simplicity is beautiful. Chords are sometimes the best option!