Has anyone used or heard the HCZ active humbucker? I was thinking of using it for a project guitar, since the price is right. So if anyone has used/heard it, I would appreciate any input you can give.

HCZ Active Humbucker
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
The amp is a Mesa Dual Rec. Why that pickup? Price! Let me explain my situation a bit. For the past 15 years I have had other people do everything to my guitars, aside from minor things like adjusting the action. Now I am buying parts and assembling a project guitar. This will be the first project on my own, and I don't want to mess anything up. I am really not so good with soldering, thanks to my shakey hands and lack of attention span. If I were to screw up the wires on a nice pickup by burning through the shield or some other catastrophic failure on my part, I would be upset as hell. So going for cheap pickups this first time out seems like a good idea since this is a feeling out process.

Oh, also looked at GFS pickups. They are dirt cheap and have good reviews around the net. The crunchy high output PAF was one that I was thinking about. Not active, but seems like a good pickup judging from the soundfiles provided.

Crunchy PAF

Hell, if you know of any other CHEAP pickups with a decent sound, let me know! I would appreciate that alot. The guitar will be used with distortion almost always, since my rhythm guitarist plays the clean parts while I sing. So pickups with extreme output are fine.

And since everyone asks what kind of music to get a better idea of which pickups to recommend, here is the best description I can come up with. Guitar wise I like the thick, midrange sound of 80's rock and metal bands, but with high gain and a modern feel. So think Paradise Lost with a Guns n Roses guitar production.
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
You cant use a passive pickup along with it dont you? If you do you need two seperate circuits otherwise it wont work.
I dunno, I've never liked excessively high output pickups...I'd go with GFS over that thing, though. Plus, as mentioned above me, it's a hassle to do two different kinds of pickups.

If you were to get new pickups, good ones, something like a Dimarzio Super Distortion would be nice for your music.

EDIT: Although, I don't think you should get cheap pickups. I've burnt my pickups lead a couple of times, no big deal. I just put heat shrink tubing. Using stuff like zip ties is also a good way to prevent the wires from being in your way, or from moving around.

Have you had any experience with a soldering iron at all?
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Sep 25, 2007,
It is a single pickup guitar so no worries about the active/passive mix. Yes I have had experience with a soldering iron. I have done some basic connection resoldering in my past guitars when the shops weren't open. I just don't like using them because I don't have very steady hands. I am like the guy you see in the action films trying to disarm a bomb, hands shaking, sweat dripping from the forehead, one slip away from disaster.

The heat shrink idea is a great one! So I guess I will go with DiMarzio. I like the Super Distortion and the Super 3. Though I am thinking the Super 3 because the description says that it has more midrange grind and chopped treble than the SD. What do you think?

Also, I would like to thank you for being so helpful. I really appreciate it.
The Super Distortion is great for 80's stuff. A little fizzy, just like the tones of that era.

Another pickup to consider would be a Seymour Duncan SH-11 Custom Custom. Aggressive tones, with plenty of bite and midrange. Not as much treble, though. If you want more treble, a Seymour Duncan Custom 5 would be nice. I generally like PAF type pickups for any kind of rock, and those two are PAF-voiced, but higher output.
a bill laurnce l500xl would be great for what you want!
Epi Les Pau Quilt topl~Emg 81/85 Ghs 11's(1/2 step drop)
Charvel Model 4 EMG 81/SA/85 DR 10's (standard){for sale}
Peavey Deuce VT
Marshall JCM 800
Dunlop ZW-45 wylde wah
Dunlop RotoVibe
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Boss CE-5 Chorus