http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ68hjB-RBo
jazz stuff i guess...like what scale is used to get that sound...like a 40's kinda sound, you know..
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
i'm not sure to be honest...but my god that man can play. his version of stairway is unreal
GEAR
PRS Custom 24
Tanglewood ROCK III
Epiphone LP Custom
Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Ibanez GRG07LTD2
Marhsall AVT100
Originally posted by fender1618
i would rather have a guitar in place of my organs, OR CANDY
Its not the scale that makes it sound like that. its the style. hes using more than 1 scale.... you cant just learn a scale and have that "jazzy" sound... there is alot more to it than that.
It sounds to me like dorian at the start, then some mixolydian. i dunno. I guess it's just the way he plays it.
Quote by guitarrocker_77
sounds like mixolodyian at the start atleast, and through it all i dont know.. alot of chromatics added.. ?
Mixolydian is not a scale...
The scale is most likely major and its modes, but with a couple of offnotes and blues notes and passing notes. But the scale isn't the reason why he sounds like he does. Its his phrasing, guitar tone, style and use of synchopation.

And what a weird way of playing. It sounds good, but weird.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by branny1982
mixolydian is not a scale?
Because mixolydian is a mode, and most songs change the mode more than you change your underwear.

I have no idea why minor and major are refered to as two different scales, but they are indeed the same scale. Tone tone semitone tone tone tone semitone, but in a different order.

Anyway a scale by definition is just a group of notes. Modes are much, much more than that. I don't like to think of the modes as just another scale.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Just follow the chord changes when you play a song, mate. As a jazz guitarist mainly, i often get asked "Dude, what are good jazz scales?"

Truth is jazz uses the same scales as any other genre (Yes, even harmonic minor and phrygian dominant are used. VERY much especially in bossa nova) but it's the "feel" that makes it sound jazzy. Emphasize the chord tones. Depending on how you play and phrase, a major scale can have a jazzy kind of darkness to it.

And dont forget to add some chromatics, especially the blue note
Hope this helps you.
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account