Page 1 of 2
this is for nihilists and those who believe life and the world and the universe has no meaning (i dont remember the philosophy for the 2nd one)
[also for anyone who just want to have a good discussion on the topic at hand.]

anyways
nihilist: Philosophy.
a. an extreme form of skepticism: the denial of all real existence or the possibility of an objective basis for truth.
b. nothingness or nonexistence.

and this is the question.

What is the point of life in your eyes?
everything has a purpose, so what is life's purpose in the eyes of one
who doesn't believe life has meaning?

a simple "life has no meaning" doesn't answer it, your life has "meaning" or else
you would've commit suicide the day you started grasping this philosophy.

discuss.
Quote by MrDURPEEDURP
this is for nihilists and those who believe life and the world and the universe has no meaning (i dont remember the philosophy for the 2nd one)

anyways
nihilist: Philosophy.
a. an extreme form of skepticism: the denial of all real existence or the possibility of an objective basis for truth.
b. nothingness or nonexistence.

and this is the question.

What is the point of life in your eyes?
everything has a purpose, so what is life's purpose in the eyes of one
who doesn't believe life has meaning?

a simple "life has no meaning" doesn't answer it, your life has "meaning" or else
you would've commit suicide the day you started grasping this philosophy.

discuss.
A nihilist wouldn't believe everything has a purpose, so they cannot answer within those constraints, and still give an honest answer.
Also, they wouldn't bother, because there's no point.
And since death would also have no meaning, why bother commiting suicide?
Although I am not a nihilist (and I hate when people say these exact words; "nihilism ftw!!"), I would imagine one would say something such as;

"The meaning of life cannot be answered objectively. It's relative. Perhaps a better question is; what can make my life worthwhile and meaningful to me? Perhaps the true meaning itself is for one to find and act upon his purpose ("purpose" meaning contribution)".

But as I stated, I am not a nihilist.
Last edited by The Madcap at Sep 25, 2007,
again, not a nihilist

if everything is meaningless, its equally meaningless, if life or death doesn't really matter why go to all the trouble of killing yourself?
Quote by MightyAl
A nihilist wouldn't believe everything has a purpose, so they cannot answer within those constraints, and still give an honest answer.

That's the thread, pretty much. Just because humans can have conscious thoughts and imagine gods and make gigantic buildings and fantastic realities, it still doesn't mean we have any more purpose than a slug, who travels along the ground when the rain comes out.
so in my bio class, they said that a humans purpose is to pass on their genes.

so basically your sole purpose in life is to have sex and make babies.
Quote by The Madcap
Although I am not a nihilist (and I hate when people say these exact words; "nihilism ftw!!"), I would imagine one would say something such as "The meaning of life perhaps cannot be answered objectively. It's relative. Perhaps a better question is; what can make my life worthwhile and meaningful to me? Perhaps the true meaning itself is for one to find and act upon his purpose ("purpose" meaning contribution)".

But as I stated, I am not a nihilist.

thats kinda hedonism though (seeking the greatest pleasure for one's self is the meaning of life)
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
A nihilist is just a person who is afraid of whats out there. I call myself a nihilist, btw. I want to believe in something, but find it impossibly hard. I dont see any real evidence that supports any theorys on what happens to us after we die. to me death is like going to sleep, but one of those sleeps where you dont remeber your dream when you wake up, but you are stuck in this sleep forever. If that makes anysense.

on the topic of the point of life... We live to help the human race survive longer, through reproduction. That is the only purpose I see, we are pawns in a chess game with no players.
Quote by Shattuck
I need some music that makes you envision a dark room illuminated by only candles and perhaps a creepy middle aged man in a bathrobe.

Quote by Skullbolt
Rape: Is it in you?
Last edited by metalisbest at Sep 25, 2007,
Quote by NoLaurelTree000
thats kinda hedonism though (seeking the greatest pleasure for one's self is the meaning of life)
I don't want to appear like I am trying to contradict you, because I'm very naive with this terminology, but I'm really curious: Does hedonism contradict nihilism?
OK think where you are going to go after you die. You're going to heaven, you get reincarnated, whatever. Where does a bug go when it dies? Where does a cheetah's consciousness go when it dies?
dude...this is ULTIMATE GUITAR!!!!y take the pain of postin such a thread?!!?!?
to hell wt nihilists n meanin of life..
live da present..n rape the future..fck da meanin..all v gta is ROCK N ROLL!!!
Quote by theking4everr
I hate how stereotypes of new users play themselves out so often...
Quote by The Madcap
I don't want to appear like I am trying to contradict you, because I'm very naive with this terminology, but I'm really curious: Does hedonism contradict nihilism?

the definition he gave you is almost exactly the same as epicureanism.
(seeking the greatest good of life denying all pain)
they dont really contradict each other, because an epicureanist could 100% DENY
spiritual beings and gods of sorts.
same with hedonism.
Quote by The Madcap
I hate how stereotypes of new users play themselves out so often...

I feel your pain...
Quote by Shattuck
I need some music that makes you envision a dark room illuminated by only candles and perhaps a creepy middle aged man in a bathrobe.

Quote by Skullbolt
Rape: Is it in you?
It's midnight here...

And this thread and the death thread is giving me a headache!!!

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Quote by theking4everr

You're a smart one. What I mean by that is **** off.
Quote by st.stephen
OK think where you are going to go after you die. You're going to heaven, you get reincarnated, whatever. Where does a bug go when it dies? Where does a cheetah's consciousness go when it dies?

animals don't have feelings, that why we can shoot them

of course, that entire reincarnation thing is another idea
Quote by seljer
animals don't have feelings, that why we can shoot them

That's my point ahaha, we're no different from animals like moose who get shot for sport or for food, our consciousness does not extend beyond this world.
Quote by theking4everr

G-t-f-o.

just because your one of the futile existences that will never cease being a futile existence doesn't mean you need to bring yourself here and attempt to ruin a
topic of conversation that actually requires intellectual thinking rather then listening
to a school teacher being bored and tired.
These topics really interest some people's minds (like mine for example) and would
actually like to go into deep conversation instead of being a perfect example
of how stupid people are getting in society and why the world is really one day going
to be controlled by one power because people are too blind to knowledge.
really, just go to the Electric Guitar or Musician Talk threads and put your 1 sense there.
Quote by The Madcap

well yes and no. there is no easy answer to that. hedonism believes that one's purpose in life is to get the greatest amount of pleasure out of life that is possible. it is done more or less by trying to weight what will give the most pleasure with the least amount or pain or suffering. so it doesnt directly contradict nihilism because they both believe that everything is personal (they both believe in themselves and nothing else) but its not quite the same. a nihilist could argue that there is no such thing as pleasure or pain because they are all just passing feelings with no meaning.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Quote by MightyAl

Hey don't speak for a nihilist if you're not, because you are WRONG.
The point of all life is to procreate.
Quote by seljer
again, not a nihilist

if everything is meaningless, its equally meaningless, if life or death doesn't really matter why go to all the trouble of killing yourself?
Something I've noticed is that the most intelligent beings on earth have something in common with stupid rodents; we try to avoid death.

When a Cat hears something unfamiliar to them, they often get really alert. If it hears something surprising loud behind it, the Cat will run off. Whatever you want to call it; Evolution, God, etc. We have this instinct within us to try to survive.
Quote by theking4everr

I just cringed.

You phail teh internetz.
Quote by The Madcap
Something I've noticed is that the most intelligent beings on earth have something in common with stupid rodents; we try to avoid death.

When a Cat hears something unfamiliar to them, they often get really alert. If it hears something surprising loud behind it, the Cat will run off. Whatever you want to call it; Evolution, God, etc. We have this instinct within us to try to survive.

Of course, how would there be any life without a built in will to live and procreate?
Quote by st.stephen
That's my point ahaha, we're no different from animals like moose who get shot for sport or for food, our consciousness does not extend beyond this world.

lies, We are clearly superior to moose because we have movable thumbs and the ability to walk upright!
Quote by Zofar
lies, We are clearly superior to moose because we have movable thumbs and the ability to walk upright!

yeah, but moose have horns, and are thereby more metal than we are
its all perspective really, if u look at it scientifically with hte knowledge we have now, we are supposed to survive and reproduce and keep our race going, just like most animals do, thats the most case for them. but i mean were all pretty much worthless the earth is so significant compared to the size of the universe if the earth blew up or something nothing would happen except the earth blowing up and everything on it dead, were all going to die someday. its inevitable whether we like it or not, but us not being here on earth doesnt change anything or us being alive, so u cud almost say we have no purpose except to reproduce and survive, and i know most of u jsut want to have sex with hot gurlz and not have little kids running around. You could also say theres no God and even if it was real our existence wouldnt matter its not like anything we do could ever size up to what it could so if it existed, so if u do believe in god and are looking for purpose look no further there is none,cuz its like all powerful n stuff its everywhere and has this infinite power why does it need us to take care of the earth it can do it itself. so technically no matter how much we would like to think we are completely insignificant, we just survive and reproduce pretty pointless but if u think u can make a difference go ahead its not goign to matter were all going to die someday and everything you worked so hard on is nothing
PANDEMIC GROUP

Slash is trash

I has golfclaps!
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

Quote by boreamor
Your avatar is the first thing that has made me laugh in a long time. I applaud you

Quote by superslash1994
Lmao, your avatar earns you a golf clap.
Nah, they're not horns, they're antlers. (horn's lame cousin)
I touched on this in my first blog. I have a blog for everything.

There is such a strong natural instinct to stay alive it's very difficult to end it without a mental problem. But that's all I can be arsed to say.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by Zofar
Nah, they're not horns, they're antlers. (horn's lame cousin)

close enough?
Quote by Kulvin
Hey don't speak for a nihilist if you're not, because you are WRONG.
The point of all life is to procreate.

How do you know?
Quote by seljer
close enough?

Wait a minute, your theory make unicorns more metal than humans..... I have a problem believing that. mainly because they don't have long hair or leather jackets.
Nihilism is seriously the dumbest crap in the world. By believing in that rubbish you're setting yourself up for failure in reality.

Attention all Nihilists: go read Atlas Shrugged, noobs.
Dude I read about Atlas Shrugged and it's a political novel, it doesn't seem to deal with any sort of existential breakthrough, and from what I read about it, it sounds like **** stylistically.
Quote by SkyValley
Nihilism is seriously the dumbest crap in the world. By believing in that rubbish you're setting yourself up for failure in reality.

Attention all Nihilists: go read Atlas Shrugged, noobs.

A certain philosophy doesn't make someone a noob, don't be so damn arrogant.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by st.stephen
Dude I read about Atlas Shrugged and it's a political novel, it doesn't seem to deal with any sort of existential breakthrough, and from what I read about it, it sounds like **** stylistically.

Well you weren't paying attention. It puts a lot of stress on Absolute Reality and and stresses the danger of ignoring problems by addressing the possibility that they may not exist. The people in the book who died did so because they failed to recognize reality and see things as they really are.

Read it again once you learn how to analyze a book beyond it's face value.

And yes, being a nihilist does make you a noob. It makes you a lazy stupid person who tries to justify their own failure by claiming that nothing is relevant. Notice that Bill Gates and other successful leading figures in society are not nihilists. The only people who follow nihilism are pot-smoking college drop-outs who work at McDonalds and refuse to face up to the fact that they suck hard at life.
Last edited by SkyValley at Sep 25, 2007,
Page 1 of 2