So, I haven't been able to find a new issue of Guitar World's Bass Guitar magazine for a few months - have they gone under?

Anyways, what's a good bass magazine that doesn't ONLY feature jazz bassists?
I think so. Which really sucks. It was an awesome mag, and the ONLY bass magazine that i could get within fifty miles of my house.
Guitar World axed Bass Guitar and Guitar One and now it's all under 1 big magazine.

I'm still waiting for my September issue of Bass Player magazine. While not just about Jazz players, half the editorials talk about playing with pianists, Afto-Cuban percussionists, horn players and the like.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Bass Player is your friend. They have artist profiles on people from hip hop to jazz to rock to metal. They have gear reviews, on pedals and the like. They have amp and bass reviews. The September issue had an interview with Bootsy Collins and Aston "Family Man" Barrett as their main draw.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Bass Player is your friend. They have artist profiles on people from hip hop to jazz to rock to metal. They have gear reviews, on pedals and the like. They have amp and bass reviews. The September issue had an interview with Bootsy Collins and Aston "Family Man" Barrett as their main draw.

Bass Player is solid. Among the other items listed by Jazz_rick, they also have great transcriptions and lessons as well.
In my opinion BassPlayer is the best magazine in the history of magazines. It gets everbody. One week i can read about marron 5 (lol), the next week i can read about Geddy Lee, then Jaco then Aston. I alot of the smaller articles are about jazz guys but theres somthing for everybody. And i forgot the dude from that one band. But its just great, you should check it out.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
That dude from that one band. Do you by any chance mean Justin Chancellor from Tool? Because he had a huge feature in BP in July I think.

Why the hell don't I have September's issue yet? The last one I have is Geddy I believe.

Bass Guitar had the best transcriptions. They had 3, as opposed to Bass Player's 1-2, and it came with guitar parts and lyrics. However, no Standard Notation.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Why the hell don't I have September's issue yet? The last one I have is Geddy I believe.

Bass Guitar had the best transcriptions. They had 3, as opposed to Bass Player's 1-2, and it came with guitar parts and lyrics. However, no Standard Notation.

September is nice. Maybe God just hates you

It has a full transcription of War Pigs, as well as some nice profiles. And lots of multi-effects reviews.
I've enjoyed Guitar World's bass mag, actually. I still have that article on 70's Punk Bass they did. They're quite versitile. I enjoy it.
Quote by thefitz

September! Oh man, I thought you meant October. **** September came over a month ago. I won't ruin it for you but I think you'll enjoy it. A lot.
Quote by rooster456
I've enjoyed Guitar World's bass mag, actually. I still have that article on 70's Punk Bass they did. They're quite versitile. I enjoy it.

I, too, have kept that same article. I bought one issue of that mag and read it everyday in school for like three months. Haven't gotten around to subscribing or buying anything else yet, but I hope to.

Maybe a sub to bass player will be a nice Christmas gift this year.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
September! Oh man, I thought you meant October. **** September came over a month ago. I won't ruin it for you but I think you'll enjoy it. A lot.

I just e-mailed the jabronis and asked them what the deal was. Hope I get a response and not some bull**** like I only had a 4 month subscription.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by rooster456

Yep, me too. Any one else here tired of the fact that every other store sells like 3 or 4 different guitar mags. I had to wait three months to a new issue. Meanwhile, they're selling the current guitar world at a p*ss *ss little convenience store down the road. Now I'll have to go to one of the big book selling stores or the mall to find a new bass mag. Should've subscribed when I had the chance.
what i did not like abot Bass Guitar mag was that they put the same 3 bassists in evry issue
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by thefitz
I just e-mailed the jabronis and asked them what the deal was. Hope I get a response and not some bull**** like I only had a 4 month subscription.

You really like the word jabroni don't you? Doesn't it mean a wrestler who takes a dive to further his career or something?
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
You really like the word jabroni don't you? Doesn't it mean a wrestler who takes a dive to further his career or something?

Jabroni is another name for jobber, which is someone who jobs. Jobbing means losing. Basically, jabroni is another name for loser... but quite literally someone who loses. Yes, fitzy's a smart wrestling fan. Yes, smart is also an industry term.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Apparently they held my subscription because the last issue was undeliverable... so yeah, I missed the Jaco issue and I guess October's issue. They're going to reactivate my subscription. Brutal.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by Evil_Jim43
Yep, me too. Any one else here tired of the fact that every other store sells like 3 or 4 different guitar mags. I had to wait three months to a new issue. Meanwhile, they're selling the current guitar world at a p*ss *ss little convenience store down the road. Now I'll have to go to one of the big book selling stores or the mall to find a new bass mag. Should've subscribed when I had the chance.

My university stocks electric guitar magazines, acoustic guitar magazines, singer magazines, piano magazines, keyboard magazines, and mixing magazines, but not bass magazines.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
This month's issue (Meshell something or other) didn't do too much for me. Gear reviews and other little stuff was pretty cool. I'm sad I didn't started my subscription 2 months earlier... Justin Chancellor & Jaco would have been a lot more my style than the Family Man & Meshell
haha
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Yeah, the Family Man one wasn't too good. And, I'm still waiting for November's issue. usually it's here by now.

Mwhahah I straightened out that Bass Player mess and I'm getting all the issues I've missed.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
i'm not aware of any decent bass dedicated publications. Guitar World is my only subscription.

GW fo life!!!!!
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Yeah, the Family Man one wasn't too good. And, I'm still waiting for November's issue. usually it's here by now.

I was actually able to come across that issue and i didn't much care for it. So i wasn't sure if Bass Player was the mag for me, but if it was a bad issue i guess i could give it another shot.
Quote by tubab0y
Real bassists play with their penis.

Wait, that came out wrong...

Originally Posted by jazz_rock_feel

I received my November issue towards the end of last week.

Originally Posted by 12KoRn12
im trying to find metal bass magazines but cant find any.

I personally thought Bass Guitar was really good for metal/rock bass, but I didn't know they actually died off until today, even though I hadn't received any issues after about 4.

Originally Posted by thefitz
Mwhahah I straightened out that Bass Player mess and I'm getting all the issues I've missed.

I'm glad that was straightened out and that the people at BP aren't jerks.
I am a lucid dream to the illusionary slumber
Wading in a cesspool of forgotten memory
An insignificant host to the collective subconscious

~Sacred Slumber
Quote by mhylands

I'm glad that was straightened out and that the people at BP aren't jerks.

Nope, just really laid back Northern Californians, who seem to operate on a different time line and perspective than the rest of the world.

Btw, if you every make it out to my part of the world, drop the folks at Bass Mag a line or call ahead. They are incredibly nice and usually are open to letting you tour their office in San Bruno, CA. if you give them enough advanced notice.
Quote by anarkee
Nope, just really laid back Northern Californians, who seem to operate on a different time line and perspective than the rest of the world.

Btw, if you every make it out to my part of the world, drop the folks at Bass Mag a line or call ahead. They are incredibly nice and usually are open to letting you tour their office in San Bruno, CA. if you give them enough advanced notice.

That's pretty awesome. I'll probably have to do that sometime, that'd definately be worth the trip for me, and who knows, I might get my girlfriend to come with me and see how amazing the world of bass is.
I am a lucid dream to the illusionary slumber
Wading in a cesspool of forgotten memory
An insignificant host to the collective subconscious

~Sacred Slumber
I like Bass Guitar Magazine

www.bassguitarmagazine.com

Its a UK mag, but can be bought overseas. Doesnt have many transcrptions but features a wide range of artists and there is nearly always something for everyone. Some lessons to help your playing (contributors are really helpful, I once emailed one of them for some advice and he happily helped me) and reviews of gear.

I used to subscribe but now cant afford to, so I get the issues which grab my attention
Liberation Minister of the UK Price War Army. PM Felkara to join

Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
You idiot....you set your hair on fire for a dollar.

Did you buy some intelligence afterwards??