Lately my fingers have been sore due to excessive practice(jazz concert coming up soon) and my thumb is almost to the point of bleeding. I asked my friend what to do about the pain and he suggested capping my fingers with tape to protect them.

I'm wondering if I cap my fingers, will it'll make any real difference in the quality of the sound and does it have any other ill effects? I don't want to mess up my fingers anymore than they are so I don't want to take the risk of just trying it out on my own and seeing how it sounds.
Sorry, you play electric bass I presume?
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Play with a pick...
Ibanez RG350dx
Ibanez AF85 Artcore VLS
Peavey Bandit 112

Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
i've played with taped finger-tips before. it works ok. you can also coat your finger-tips with super glue but be careful, not to glue your fingers together, and if you do. fingernail polish remover will dissolve super glue.
soaking sore fingers in pickle juice will help promote good callouses, and relieve some soreness. the salt helps speed the healing process. hope that helps.
lol at treebranch. If I take a break, my jazz instructor would kill me. We get new songs nearly every other day and I still have a solo that I have no idea how to do >.<

Thanks to everyone else, especially 83lespaulstudio for those tips!
I tried playing with tape once...I really didn't like it.

Apparently super glue and cling film works well.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
+1 on the super glue suggestion if you need to play with your fingers. If not, just use a pick...
Out of curiousity, why is your thumb of all fingers bleeding?

If it's from slapping, guess what I'm going to say...
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
its not bleeding, but I'm sure it will if I keep playing as hard as I do.. >.<

I have a nasty habit of playing mainly with my thumb, which was why I was working so hard to play with my other fingers which didn't really help much.

I gotta go eat now.
the super glue + nail polish remover works well. But back when I was getting started, whenever my fingers got cracked and raw I just used a pick until they healed.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by SteelToedGirl
its not bleeding, but I'm sure it will if I keep playing as hard as I do.. >.<

I have a nasty habit of playing mainly with my thumb, which was why I was working so hard to play with my other fingers which didn't really help much.

I gotta go eat now.

They let you play in the jazz band with mainly using your thumb? damnn
Quote by watchingmefall
They let you play in the jazz band with mainly using your thumb? damnn

Sshh... don't tell anyone. >.< I'm working on trying to change that.
Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I was learning to play guitar, for the treatment of callouses in the making, we used to use a product called "liquid" or "new skin", when we had to play a gig with sore fingers.

One caveat though, its only for those times you need to play a gig with cut or sore fingers and should be removed as soon as you can, since it can inhibit callouses, which is just the opposite of what you want to happen long term.