Poll: How much would you care about illegal downloads if you were a successful band?
Poll Options
View poll results: How much would you care about illegal downloads if you were a successful band?
I'd hate it - they're stealing from me!
16 7%
Eh, it wouldn't matter much to me. Comes with the territory.
151 69%
I'd love it!
52 24%
Voters: 219.
Page 1 of 2
...how upset would you be about people illegally downloading your music? Every time the subject of illegal downloads are mentioned people say "think how the artist feels". So I thought about it, and I'd honestly be happy my music was circulating around. Partly because I'm not an asshole who would whine about not making an extra million dollars every year if I was already rich, and because downloads mean more people listening to your music, which means more potential people going to your shows and buying your merchandise. Thats why indie bands put their stuff on file-sharing sites - exposure.
you got soul, or so you say. hey, i say you don't!

Quote by Sol9989
at least sell enough cd's to make a bit of profit and have a life so then it wouldnt bother me

concerts are where the big money is at
Wouldn't bother me, plus it would be hypocritical of me to be bothered by it but that's another story for another day
I'd feel happy because people are enjoying the music my band would make.

But all of this really depends on the band's current status popularity and money.
I wouldn't care about the issue as long as my band and I would have enough money to make it by. If my band were mainstream I don't even know why it would be an issue for me.
I'd care if CD sales stopped altogether (being a personal fan of the physical aspect of buying an album)... but yeah the money's always been in touring anyway.
Personally I don't give a damn if people download my music, they should be able to have music they like for whatever price they want. If that price is nothing, then that just shows me how much they value my music. However, when it comes to stealing other people's music, such as using limewire to get the newest Chili Peppers album, I am totally against that, because that is stealing. Stealing is against the law, if someone says hands off, hands off. I may be a hypocrite but whatever.
i would post my own music online
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
I don't really care as long as we are making a decent amount of money...

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Quote by SG thrasher
You obviously don't realize how little some bands make.

it would depend on how you would define "moderately successful" If it were a band like, for example, Muse circa-Absolution (basically, just as they were becoming recognised) then It wouldn't bother me; but if it were like; say, Muse circa-showbiz; I'd be a wee bit peeved, but happy to know that people want to hear my music anyway.
It depends, is my band making a decent amount ($200,000 a year) from touring?
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
It might not upset me really. I mean, I would gladly, and even prefer, to buy the actual album, but the fact is, I'm only 15 and literally have no money. So I mean, if I don't download albums, then I go bored without new music, and I'm not hurting the band either, because I wouldn't have the money to buy the album either. Not to sound cocky, but... at least I'm happy! If I like you enough, I'll try to see you in concert anyways.
I really wouldn't mind. I mean, if people are getting my music, that means they like it.

Hell, I see myself as a Marine more than a professional guitar player.

So if anyone actually likes my music enough to get it, then I'd be happy.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Quote by brendan666
Please don't be a musician

zomg LOL look at the sell out!!!!

Just go away and stop taking fair reasonable statements out of context.

EDIT: Ok Rephrase. I personally wouldn't think you'd be very happy if you couldn't support yourself because a bunch of kiddies were illegally downloading your music that you have gone through painstakingly long tours and recordings sessions to make.
Quote by Slaytanic6606
I really wouldn't mind. I mean, if people are getting my music, that means they like it.

Hell, I see myself as a Marine more than a professional guitar player.

So if anyone actually likes my music enough to get it, then I'd be happy.

A 14 year old marine?
Quote by Kulvin
A 14 year old marine?

I meant when I'm older
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
I'd be pissed, personally. Rag on me all you want, but if I spent years clawing my way up, starving and lonely, I'd ****ing mad if people were getting the music I poured my life into for free. I mean, surely the artists have been poor long enough. Just get a CD, if you can afford the computer to illegally download the music, I'm sure you can splurge a few bucks.
Member of the grammar nazis.

Quote by Firenze

I remember the first time I "shaved" my pubes. I'm not gonna go into details, but I will tell you this: to this day, I don't understand why I thought using a combat knife would be a good idea...
Haha, I don't feel sorry for the bands that have a record deal. They do what they love. I feel sorry for the bands that could have had a record deal. Record labels have to cut down on signings. The amount of new record deals being made has decreased with 40 % or something since year 2000.
Quote by brendan666
I'd be happy that people would be listening to my music.

Even if it meant you ended back up at your job at Mcdonald's because you dropped out of high school to play music to MAKE MONEY?

I mean I love music, I really do, but you have to make a living somehow. That's hard to do if everyone was ripping you off.
Member of the grammar nazis.

Quote by Firenze

I remember the first time I "shaved" my pubes. I'm not gonna go into details, but I will tell you this: to this day, I don't understand why I thought using a combat knife would be a good idea...
I wouldn't mind, but at the same time I wouldn't promote it on my/our website either. I'm not going to say "oh I don't care about money, I just want people to enjoy my music" because thats usually never the case.

If enough people like it enough to download to the point where it would hurt our profit, they would probably also buy CD's and go to concerts, so that makes up for it.
Quote by panterarocker
I would be worried if people werent downloading.

+1
~ Gear ~
Epiphone Les Paul
Crate GX-80
Quote by Guitarist132
Finish the quote

"This is _______"
Quote by Aqua Dementia
SPAAAAAAAARRRRTTTAAA! No?
Quote by Guitarist132
Incorrect, the correct answer was papua new guinea

Quote by Aqua Dementia
Whoa, I'm in your sig.
seriouslky, if people love my music THAT much to actually WANT to STEAL my music, I'd personally be flattered
My guitars:

Ibanez RG5EX1
Eleca Dread Acoustic
Dean ML

My FX: Line 6 Floor POD Plus

In the end, fact means nothing,
its all about perspective
ok, heres the thing. a band gets signed to a label, and the label (say sony bmg) offer a 2 million dollar advance payment for recording 3 albums over 3 years. pretty cool eh? ur a millionair. but you dont own a cent of that 2 mill ultill you do your job; sell cd's for sony. if you piss away the 2 million they gave you and you dont sell enough cd's, congratulations, you are now in 2 million dollars debt with sony. you get 3 years to sell as many cds as you get to get the bigger slice of the pie. in reality, you are probably going to make like, 9 thousand personally after you record the first cd and thats when youve sold about 10 thousand cd's. do you now see how little an artist can make, and how illegal downloading can f*ck artist's over?
Quote by spiderfizz
ok, heres the thing. a band gets signed to a label, and the label (say sony bmg) offer a 2 million dollar advance payment for recording 3 albums over 3 years. pretty cool eh? ur a millionair. but you dont own a cent of that 2 mill ultill you do your job; sell cd's for sony. if you piss away the 2 million they gave you and you dont sell enough cd's, congratulations, you are now in 2 million dollars debt with sony. you get 3 years to sell as many cds as you get to get the bigger slice of the pie. in reality, you are probably going to make like, 9 thousand personally after you record the first cd and thats when youve sold about 10 thousand cd's. do you now see how little an artist can make, and how illegal downloading can f*ck artist's over?

surely if it's a cash in hand-esque advance, just stick it in the bank and make 3 budget albums you've still made three albums, and you've still got the money
well its not like you make no money at all. the idea is that you either pay it off, or you pay some of it off and give the rest back. either way you've still made money, just not as much as you anticipated. my point is illegal downloading rather than buying a cd can screw people when the number of record sales matters so much
Quote by brendan666
I wouldn't play music to make money. If that many people are downloading your songs, that many people will be at your shows.

See thats how your taking what he says out of context.
If he wanted to make money he would become a dentist.

He wants to become a musician because he loves music.

Being a musician is really hit or miss with the whole money issue so it is really hard and rare to make a living out of it.

Also I do agree with you on the shows aspect of it, but its still an issue.
No. If people really like you, they will still buy your albums, for sentimental/collective reasons. So illegal downloads wouldn't bother me that much.
i would be ok cuz i dl a lot rite now, and i prbly will still dl unless im rich. but music is an art and i don't think ppl should have to pay to see something like u should be making money in other ways. like cd's are pretty expensive. i would prbly like make my cd's rlly cheap and make most of my money with like merchendise and touring and stuff. well i odno i guess i might rely on my record sales. i just hope ppl dl but buy also if they think it's good. i would add special bonus features if u buy it like dvd's live content and autographs and ****. sugar coat it
I'd be pissed.
Sorta like if some asshole photocopied a drawing I did and circulated it. No one would buy it or the rest of the gallery if someone already was handing out free ones.
I've had Alzheimer's Disease for as long as I can remember.

Quote by damian_91
Pleasure2kill, you are a genius!
as most of everyone said above, i'd love it as long as i'm getting paid somehow from touring and some ok sales. Music is about expressing emotion. the more people listening, the better 'cuz that's what it's there for
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
Bands like Phish and Umphrey's McGee built their entire follows via word-of-mouth and bootlegs. I'd love if people listened to my tunes...spread the love.
Okay. Music is for your enjoyment. Its one of the cool things in my life. So I it would be awsome that people really want your music. People will still go to concerts or whatever. Who cares? Its music so enjoy it.
I'd be all for it! The more people who know about my stuff, the more people will show up at my concerts and the more money I can steal from them through merchandizing!

Besides, I'd probably be the one giving out most of the free downloads through various fan forums and stuff under the pseudonym of "FireflyRock597", who is a 34 year old antique clock fixer dude from England.
Honestly, if it were my choice, I'd probably let people download all my music for free, and encourage it, because music isn't something I do for profit.

But that's just me.
Page 1 of 2